Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2da2nd View Post
Honestly, it's difficult for us Asian to compete against Cuban for a job when the official language in Miami is Spanish and the boss happens to be Hispanic. I'm just saying.
What kind of job are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,672,933 times
Quote:
Honestly, it's difficult for us Asian to compete against Cuban for a job when the official language in Miami is Spanish and the boss happens to be Hispanic. I'm just saying.
Thank you for your honesty. I don't think I could get a job in Miami either because I'm not fluent in Spanish.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM

270 posts, read 703,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
What kind of job are you talking about?
Was that a rhetorical question? I'm talking about just any jobs in Miami.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM

115 posts, read 206,423 times
In my experience, I've met many Chinese who immigrated to Miami from Nicaragua, Venezuela, and even some from Cuba, a lot of them speak Chinese (Cantonese and some Mandarin) and Spanish, I know at least four Japanese customers, I've seen only a hand full of Koreans, some Thais, a good amount of Filipinos and Indonesians, and we have a sushi section at work that's run by Burmese people, some which have also lived in Malaysia and Singapore.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,328 times
Quote:
That's just an excuse, you make it seem like every single job in Miami you need to speak spanish. In Miami most of the nicer parts like downtown/brickell, there are a lot of professionals who speak fluent english. I'm not asian, but I bet you if I went to San Francisco / bay area (a place run by asians) and if had certain professional skills, they wouldn't turn me down just because I didn't speak chinese and wasn't asian. What times are you living in ? The 50's?

Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM

270 posts, read 703,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
That's just an excuse, you make it seem like every single job in Miami you need to speak spanish. In Miami most of the nicer parts like downtown/brickell, there are a lot of professionals who speak fluent english. I'm not asian, but I bet you if I went to San Francisco / bay area (a place run by asians) and if had certain professional skills, they wouldn't turn me down just because I didn't speak chinese and wasn't asian. What times are you living in ? The 50's?
That's not an excuse. I have been in that situation before, where do you think I get it from? A bad dream sequence? All I'm saying is Hispanic have it easier in Miami than any other races and I still live in the US of A where Spanish is not the official language. I have other Asian friends (Chinese, Japanese, Indian) and we all experience the same thing. Shoot! Even my prof speaks Spanish to other Hispanic kids in the classroom

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
That's not an excuse. I have been in that situation before, where do you think I get it from? A bad dream sequence? All I'm saying is Hispanic have it easier in Miami than any other races and I still live in the US of A where Spanish is not the official language. I have other Asian friends (Chinese, Japanese, Indian) and we all experience the same thing. Shoot! Even my prof speaks Spanish to other Hispanic kids in the classroom
Anybody from anywhere can get a job anywhere, if they have the necessary skills to complete the tasks needed.

Race/background/Language does not determine your credibility or experience as a worker/employee.

Using race as to why you didn't get a particular job, is again, just an excuse.

I know plenty of places in Miami that are English fluent, I don't know where in Miami you were in.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM

118 posts, read 372,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Anybody from anywhere can get a job anywhere, if they have the necessary skills to complete the tasks needed. Race/background/Language does not determine your credibility or experience as a worker/employee.
This is just patently untrue in Miami. Just about every non-latin person has told me the exact opposite.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Certain jobs in Miami require someone to speak both spanish and english. That is just a fact in Miami. Yes there are many jobs downtown that don't require someone to speak spanish, rather they will be required to know english. It really depends on the job itself and who the customer/client is. Someone in certain parts of the service industry in Miami will find it harder to find a job if they aren't bilingual.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_hemingway View Post
This is just patently untrue in Miami. Just about every non-latin person has told me the exact opposite.
Well then maybe that's a good thing, now you know what it is like for a hispanic to get a job anywhere else in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami