Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:21 AM

8 posts, read 66,009 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of the negative threads about life in South Florida, particularly in Miami. I'm really interested in hearing the opinions of white English-speakers (and non-Spanish speaking foreigners) who have moved to Miami, both good and bad opinions. My wife and I are considering moving to Miami from Moscow, Russia in several months. My sense is that Miami will be a very exciting place to live, as is Moscow, and will evoke many of the same love/hate feelings that Moscow does.

Has anyone moved to Miami from someplace with worse traffic and congestion? I suppose the negatives are all a matter of perspective? After a visit to Miami for several days last spring (which included a long drive in morning rush-hour traffic on I-95/US1), I honestly fail to see what people are complaining about.

How much of a problem is not knowing Spanish right away? My wife and I would like to learn it, but of course that won't happen immediately.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smo123 View Post
I've read a lot of the negative threads about life in South Florida, particularly in Miami. I'm really interested in hearing the opinions of white English-speakers (and non-Spanish speaking foreigners) who have moved to Miami, both good and bad opinions. My wife and I are considering moving to Miami from Moscow, Russia in several months. My sense is that Miami will be a very exciting place to live, as is Moscow, and will evoke many of the same love/hate feelings that Moscow does.

Has anyone moved to Miami from someplace with worse traffic and congestion? I suppose the negatives are all a matter of perspective? After a visit to Miami for several days last spring (which included a long drive in morning rush-hour traffic on I-95/US1), I honestly fail to see what people are complaining about.

I hope I haven't made a big "oopss" here. I assumed you are Russian. Maybe you're a American living in Russia?

How much of a problem is not knowing Spanish right away? My wife and I would like to learn it, but of course that won't happen immediately.
Sorry, I'm not non Spanish-speaking but...if all the Cubans that went to study their careers in Russia (for example Moscow, Ukraine) could learn to speak Russian well enough to attend graduate level courses, you can learn to speak Spanish in no time. Lots of Russians who relocated to Cuba learned Spanish easily also. It's just a matter of staying away from your native tongue environment long enough. And folks from your part of the world have a really good knack for picking up languages. Just look at your written English. It's great!
So come on down! Yeah, this is nothing here compared to what you've had to deal with in Moscow.

I hope I didn't make a big "oopss" here assuming you are native Russian. Maybe you're American just living there now?

Last edited by vpcats; 01-09-2007 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Disclaimer

Old 01-09-2007, 07:40 AM

8 posts, read 66,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Sorry, I'm not non Spanish-speaking but...if all the Cubans that went to study their careers in Russia (for example Moscow, Ukraine) could learn to speak Russian well enough to attend graduate level courses, you can learn to speak Spanish in no time. Lots of Russians who relocated to Cuba learned Spanish easily also. It's just a matter of staying away from your native tongue environment long enough. And folks from your part of the world have a really good knack for picking up languages. Just look at your written English. It's great!
So come on down! Yeah, this is nothing here compared to what you've had to deal with in Moscow.

I hope I didn't make a big "oopss" here assuming you are native Russian. Maybe you're American just living there now?
Thanks for the response! Actually, I am an American living in Moscow now, but my wife is Russian. At home, I speak mostly Russian (probably 70%), and at work probably 50%. We're both pretty decent with languages, but our combined knowledge of Spanish is probably 100 words or so! My main fear is whether we'll be able to manage in Miami (finding work, housing, etc) without knowing Spanish at the outset. When we visited last year, we were fine with English, but we were mostly in areas that we won't be able to afford to live in for some time (Miami Beach, Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove).

Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times
You'll be fine living in Miami not knowing much Spanish. Most of the Spanish speaking people in Miami are fluent in English.

I wouldn't worry so much.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smo123 View Post
Thanks for the response! Actually, I am an American living in Moscow now, but my wife is Russian. At home, I speak mostly Russian (probably 70%), and at work probably 50%. We're both pretty decent with languages, but our combined knowledge of Spanish is probably 100 words or so! My main fear is whether we'll be able to manage in Miami (finding work, housing, etc) without knowing Spanish at the outset. When we visited last year, we were fine with English, but we were mostly in areas that we won't be able to afford to live in for some time (Miami Beach, Coral Gables, South Miami, Coconut Grove).
You will not have a problem with the language issue.
Maybe those 100 words will be just the ones you'll need!
Seriously, you'll be fine. It's not a big deal to not speak Spanish. Most of the people you will deal with will speak at least English. I wish I could speak Russian (although I was taught about 3 words that I won't repeat here )

Old 01-09-2007, 10:46 AM

93 posts, read 329,860 times
If you move to S. Florida you will regret it sooner or later. One visit in the Spring doesn't give you enough experience to pack your bags and move here. If you do, good luck! I've been living here for 5 years, and now I'm getting the hell out of here this month! Back to the westcoast of the U.S! As for your question about not knowing spanish, you don't have much to worry about in Fort Lauderdale and other west areas, but you might get a bit frustrated in Miami..

Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 AM

93 posts, read 329,860 times
To the above post...I really don't understand why Spanish has to be learned by Americans, but many Spanish speaking people don't even try. I remember while working security, many spanish speakers came up to me and asked "Habla espanol?" I would answer with a "no" and they would say "OH REALLY?!?!? oh, can I have your help?" with perfect english. And also, be ready to get used to everyone thinking they are rap artists...It's hilarious.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW2007 View Post
To the above post...I really don't understand why Spanish has to be learned by Americans, but many Spanish speaking people don't even try. I remember while working security, many spanish speakers came up to me and asked "Habla espanol?" I would answer with a "no" and they would say "OH REALLY?!?!? oh, can I have your help?" with perfect english. And also, be ready to get used to everyone thinking they are rap artists...It's hilarious.
If the above post refers to MY post, I never said Americans had to learn Spanish. Personally, I think it would be a smart move but I was just saying that someone doesn't care to learn to Spanish because they ran into a "mean" latin person. Well, what's good for the goose is good for the gander in my book.
As for people asking you if you spoke Spanish....it happens to me all the time but then again I look American - if there's "a" look to that or "a" look to hispanics.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 PM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
I am a US citizen who lived overseas for many years and I recently returned to the US, to the Miami area, and I specifically learned Spanish because I knew I was returning to a region where Spanish is spoken by a majority or at least a significant minority of the population, depending on county and neighborhood. So, while knowing Spanish is not a prerequisite, it is highly important.

As someone already mentioned, apart from the housing affordability issue, the biggest problem you will encounter in not knowing Spanish is in the job market. I have to assume that you and your wife have specialized skills in a field, say medical, possibly law or insurance, where Spanish language skills are not a prerequisite.

There are also fields where your Russian can be an asset, especially if you have experience in international business: as the Russian economy continues to grow and its companies expand globally, Miami will be one potential destination area for Russian foreign direct investment, not only real estate, but also related to trade with Latin America: many European companies, largely Spanish and some Italian, as well as US and Latin American companies, set up offices in Miami to manage marketing operations to Latin America as well as the southeast US. In other words, Miami is marketing headquarters for many companies - US, European, and Latin American - selling in Latin America, and Russian companies could potentially be part of the European group (I know, for example, there is a Romanian aviation company with a base in Fort Lauderdale managing flights to Caribbean cities).

If this is your thing, then you may wish to contact the Beacon Council, among other entities.

If not and if you will be seeking employment in the basic services sector, then not knowing Spanish will definitely be a handicap. By the same token, those who speak Spanish only also face severe handicaps. Bilingualism or trilingualism is certainly an advantage.

I hope this helps and welcome to the US-administered northern capital of Latin America!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I am a US citizen who lived overseas for many years and I recently returned to the US, to the Miami area, and I specifically learned Spanish because I knew I was returning to a region where Spanish is spoken by a majority or at least a significant minority of the population, depending on county and neighborhood. So, while knowing Spanish is not a prerequisite, it is highly important.

As someone already mentioned, apart from the housing affordability issue, the biggest problem you will encounter in not knowing Spanish is in the job market. I have to assume that you and your wife have specialized skills in a field, say medical, possibly law or insurance, where Spanish language skills are not a prerequisite.

There are also fields where your Russian can be an asset, especially if you have experience in international business: as the Russian economy continues to grow and its companies expand globally, Miami will be one potential destination area for Russian foreign direct investment, not only real estate, but also related to trade with Latin America: many European companies, largely Spanish and some Italian, as well as US and Latin American companies, set up offices in Miami to manage marketing operations to Latin America as well as the southeast US. In other words, Miami is marketing headquarters for many companies - US, European, and Latin American - selling in Latin America, and Russian companies could potentially be part of the European group (I know, for example, there is a Romanian aviation company with a base in Fort Lauderdale managing flights to Caribbean cities).

If this is your thing, then you may wish to contact the Beacon Council, among other entities.

If not and if you will be seeking employment in the basic services sector, then not knowing Spanish will definitely be a handicap. By the same token, those who speak Spanish only also face severe handicaps. Bilingualism or trilingualism is certainly an advantage.

I hope this helps and welcome to the US-administered northern capital of Latin America!
Bale- I like your posts. You seem to be a smart, educated, level-headed person who contributes objectively and constructively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami