Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:45 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times

Advertisements

so i'm looking through miami herald and i find this article

Violent crime rises in South Florida - 06/10/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

no surprise right? right.

Quote:
Although violent crime decreased 1.4 percent nationwide -- a positive sign after two years of rising violence -- it rose in almost every South Florida city with more than 100,000 residents, according to data the FBI released Monday.
"but hey it's horrible everywhere right.... ?"

wrong. my family lives in easily the most dangerous city out of the entire state of massachusetts and still when they come here they tell me the news here always involves murder and crime.

Quote:
Police departments in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Coral Springs, Hialeah, Hollywood and Miramar all handled more homicides, and most also responded to more rapes and robberies last year than in 2006. In Pompano Beach, the number of homicides -- 10 -- remained unchanged, but the city experienced more rapes and robberies.
then i read this which to be quite honest shocked me, as i always ignorantly thought northern florida to be some type of haven, boy was i wrong.

Quote:
Elsewhere in Florida:

• The homicide rate climbed in 10 of the 17 cities with a population of more than 100,000.

• Crime in North Florida crept upward, with Gainesville, Jacksonville and Tallahassee all reporting an increase in violent crime.

• Orlando is the most violent city in Florida, with nearly two violent crimes for every 100 people.
you may argue this has been beat to death or whatever and to be honest you can whine all you want, if i was moving here i'd sure as hell want to know this type of stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Which do I believe?

Broward County sees more murders, but overall decrease in violent crimes in 2007 -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Also, nice job "forgetting" to quote this stuff...
Quote:
Fort Lauderdale saw decreases in rapes and robberies; overall incidents of violent crime dropped to 1,523 from 1,683.
Quote:
So far, Marino said, the results have been positive and he expects the city's 2008 crime stats to show a decrease in violence.
Promote a fair and balanced argument. No doubt the crime situation here is worse than elsewhere, but instead of aggravating the situation, take a balanced approach and show both sides of the story.

Also, the main difference between here and the "safe haven" of North Florida is that they don't care to notice as much, which leads to more perceived safety. Duval County has almost always had a higher crime rate than Dade and Leon County has almost always had a higher crime rate than Broward, yet you would never think so judging by local attitudes. South Florida probably has by and far the most paranoid population when it comes to fear of crime, at least out of any of the (several) other cities I have been in throughout the US, even though (yes) most are just as bad and many are far worse. The attitude towards it is different here, there is something in the air. People tend to whine and complain about crime yet are completely complacent about it.

Just within South Florida, there is the classic misconception that Palm Beach County is safer than Broward County, while that has never been even close to true. Good example of attitude vs reality and what you are trying to play on.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:17 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Maybe the Palm Beach Post can get us out of this pickle...

Well, I could only find this from the Palm Beach Post:

PBC's spike in violent crime recalls Miami of '70s, '80s (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/local_news/epaper/2007/01/14/m1a_CRIME_0114.html - broken link)

Old 06-24-2008, 10:06 AM

19 posts, read 106,651 times
palm beach is softer den broward ppl jus calmed down wit da crime here cuz dey dont really have anything to prove anymore pb does

Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
South Florida probably has by and far the most paranoid population when it comes to fear of crime, at least out of any of the (several) other cities I have been in throughout the US, even though (yes) most are just as bad and many are far worse. The attitude towards it is different here, there is something in the air.
Well said, CTR - and I quote for truth! There really is a different mindset about crime down here. Most of the violent crime, despite what you think, is gang-related, domestic or localized in areas most of us here don't frequent. So the rise in violent crime doesn't really mean much to most people down here. Yeah, there is the occasional horrendous random crime at an upscale mall that shocks even the most jaded misanthrope - but it's mostly the exception.

For some reason, we distort, sensationalize and dwell on violent crime down here, to an extent that it becomes an almost hobby-like obsession/paranoia. What most cities would report and dismiss in one day, we tend to cover for days on end, and sometimes weeks. It only worsens the hysteria.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Which do I believe?

Broward County sees more murders, but overall decrease in violent crimes in 2007 -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Also, nice job "forgetting" to quote this stuff...

Promote a fair and balanced argument. No doubt the crime situation here is worse than elsewhere, but instead of aggravating the situation, take a balanced approach and show both sides of the story.

Also, the main difference between here and the "safe haven" of North Florida is that they don't care to notice as much, which leads to more perceived safety. Duval County has almost always had a higher crime rate than Dade and Leon County has almost always had a higher crime rate than Broward, yet you would never think so judging by local attitudes. South Florida probably has by and far the most paranoid population when it comes to fear of crime, at least out of any of the (several) other cities I have been in throughout the US, even though (yes) most are just as bad and many are far worse. The attitude towards it is different here, there is something in the air. People tend to whine and complain about crime yet are completely complacent about it.

Just within South Florida, there is the classic misconception that Palm Beach County is safer than Broward County, while that has never been even close to true. Good example of attitude vs reality and what you are trying to play on.
yours is from last year, his is from this year. Crime stats do change

Economy is bad man, this shouldn't be a shocker.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:39 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Well, a couple of weeks ago, I bought my first gun. I am 33 years old. Never thought I would have to buy one....but I feel "compelled" to. I am ready to use it if need be to protect myself and my family. It's us against the bad guys and it's only going to get much worse.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Heydade

when you pull out on someone, be sure to say something cool like "I will spin your wig back like im DJing, if you don't back the eff up". Gives you more authenticity.

Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokilla View Post
palm beach is softer den broward ppl jus calmed down wit da crime here cuz dey dont really have anything to prove anymore pb does
All other comments are invalid. This is the undisputed truth from an e-gangsta.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:36 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,038 times
it's easy to say crime is no big deal when you live in weston huh

a lot of people on this forum live in the more upper scale areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami