Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 01:32 PM

95 posts, read 452,557 times

Advertisements

I have previously posted a similar thread asking the same question about Boca Raton X Fort Lauderdale. Since then we have learned that Ft Lauderdale is not a place to raise kids... Also, we visited Boca Raton last week and thought it was just too far from everything (Miami area). So our two options are now Aventura or Coral Gables.

My husband and I are currently living in South America, had lived in New York City for 10 years.

We have a toddler, so school quality is a high priority, and through this forum we have learned that Private is that way to go.

We like and are used to big cities, and we recently visited Aventura, which my husband thought would be a good option for the big city feel, tall buildings, lots of shopping options, etc.

But I am not so sure Aventura would be good for our toddler... Do you know of any great private school close to Aventura?

I am a NY attorney interested in working with Immigration Law, my husband is a Sport Journalist especialized in American Football (not Soccer). We speak Spanish and Portuguese, but we hate the fact that everybody almost only speaks Spanish in Miami. If we wanted to be in a Spanish speaking place we would stay here in Argentina... Is Coral Gables like that too? Aventura we know it is, sadly.

We have excellent investment income, and would be looking for a 600K to 800K 4/2 house or condo.

We did not visit coral Gables during this last trip, but I know it's a beautiful place and great for kids. But my question is HOW SUBURB is it? we like big city type of places, even if it's not big, like Aventura... But then Coral Gables might be better for kids... We can't decide!

So, which city do you guys think would be the one for us, Coral Gables or Aventura?

THANKS!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 01:57 PM

12 posts, read 58,846 times
Hello. I dont live in Fl (yet) but like you, I'm a lawyer. I think the job market will be great for you to do immigration law since you are trilingual but for me, since I only speak English, I think I may have to go back to the drawing board on cities. Either that or just move back to NYC where there is anything I want (except sunshine!).

To answer your question, I've learned that Aventura is a very jewish neighborhood. I did not go there though. I drove to Coral Gables, and then turned around because it felt more suburban than Boca Raton.

I thought the Brickell Key area was really nice and there were a mixture of people around - professionals with designer dogs and also with some kids. Not sure about schools though.
Good luck!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Wats2GotoFl! I feel the same about NYC, loved everything about it, great job opportunities, better salaries, tons of things to do and see, BUT HATE the cold weather! Just can't do it anymore. We were in Aventura for a week and did not think is was Jewish at all. It felt very Latin, with some people working at a store at the Aventura Mall refusing to speak English, etc.
WOW! Coral Gables felt MORE suburban than BOCA? That's not good news for us... We've been to Brickell (is it the same as Brickell Key?) to visit a friend who lives in a beautiful condo and has a toddler. Did not see much of the place, we thought it was part of Downtown Miami. We will ask her about it.
Where are you living now and where are you planning to move? Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:32 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,056 times
Many Jews in Miami are "Latin" -- as I'm sure you're aware of being in Argentina where half a million Jews live. Aventura does have a pretty big Jewish population as does Miami Beach and to a lesser extent CGables/S Miami/E Kendall/Pinecrest if that matters to you.

CG is not really suburban IMO -- it is a small upscale community made up of largish (some huge, some modest) homes and lots of trees. Maybe a suburban pocket??
There are 3 small downtowns adjacent to CG. S Miami, Miracle Mile and Coconut Grove. The University of Miami is also there. It is an urban/suburban area much like Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn (although bigger) or parts of Queens. It is a pocket of moderate quiet in a crazy urban area -- really nothing like Boca to me.

The Spanish thing is probably about even. I've NEVER had the experience in any major store in CG or Aventura that sales people refused to speak English. If the sales women (yes, usually female) are jabbering away in Spanish or address me in Spanish I ALWAYS answer in English without ever having an issue. You will hear a ton of Spanish both places, but a ton of English too! My parents live in Aventura and my Mom literally speaks 3 words in Spanish; I have plenty of friends who grew up there too who don't speak Spanish. Many others are fluent and were born in places all over S America (and most of them Jewish if that matters).

In the Gables you have a mix of rich first generation S Americans (REALLY rich who speak MOSTLY Spanish), successful second generation Latins (lots of Cubans who speak both fluently), youngish successful non-latin or mixed families (mostly English) and old My-am-ah non-Latins (no Spanish).

To me, the traffic in Aventura is much worse than CG and that always killed living there for me, but you may disagree. It kind of depends where you'll be working. Try the drive from Brickell to Aventura at 6 on a weekday vs to CG -- no comparison. US(eless)-1 sucks, but it moves pretty well.

For the $ you mentioned Sun&Sea, you would do very well in a nice home in CG/S Miami area or a nice condo/townhouse in Aventura. Miami Country Day is the only private school I know of in Aventura, there are others. Gulliver and Ransom rule in the CG area. (Half the kids coming out of Ransom go into A-class colleges.) There are also some great Catholic schools around.

You really need to check-out CG for yourself. It's pretty unique and may be just what you want.

Last edited by planetsurf; 06-15-2008 at 03:11 PM..

Old 06-15-2008, 02:44 PM

12 posts, read 58,846 times
Hello. I've read that aventura is jewish online as I was looking for more of a mixed language area. Not sure if it is accurate. I've been looking at demographic data, etc. but all of it is online and I'm not sure how credible it is.

Coral Gables is double the population of Boca Raton but they are close in density per square mile. I think Boca is probably a little more sprawled. For us, we turned around and got out of both places fast. We started this process in Ft. Lauderdale down by the Las Olas neighborhood and down by the riverwalk which I thought (based on reading) that it would be a great match. It wasnt. For example, i was very excited to learn that there were river taxis and sun trolleys before I got there. Then I saw them -- the only person on the river taxi and the sun trolley respectively were the DRIVERS. This is why I went in low season - to have a realistic picture. Driving up to West Palm Beach and Boca evoked the same get-me-out-of-here feeling.... Unless your retired and like golf, it's torture.

We live in Providence, RI which is about the same population overall as Ft. Lauderdale but many many more people per square mile. Providence is VERY densely populated. It is also fairly diverse (more so than yankee puritan Boston, I think). But it's cold - even COLDER than NYC. I especially love when we get 20 inches of snow dumped on our house - not only does it take forever to clean up but it actually never melts. I think it finally melted in April or beginning of May! I travel to tropical destinations every winter as much as I can afford!

Brickell Key is a little triangular island just over a small bridge near downtown Miami - it's so adorable. It reminds me of the upper east side of Miami. I've been looking at condos on Brickell Key

I really want to move to Miami - love the beaches and the population - but I am really concerned with the job market for me not speaking espanol. I could never render legal advice in spanish but could definitely order food and ask how to get to the beach.

I think you probably have a lot more options than I do - I dont have a kid, making my boredom level that much more difficult. Sorry to go on and on...i"m so frustrated and want to get out of here and if Miami is not the place for us, I dont know what to do!!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,850 times
Better place for a...

Condo = Aventura
Home = Coral Gables

Old 06-15-2008, 03:20 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2GotoFL View Post
Hello. I've read that aventura is jewish online as I was looking for more of a mixed language area. Not sure if it is accurate. I've been looking at demographic data, etc. but all of it is online and I'm not sure how credible it is.
Aventura has a lot of Jews, but isn't MOSTLY Jewish. The Jewish population is a mix too, many Latin, lots of New Yorkers, Israelis and even a lot of French Jews. Some very religious, most reformed/conservative. You can get deli OR falafel pretty easily there.

Aventura has lots of Brazilians too.

Old 06-15-2008, 03:29 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,003 times
Both areas of Miami are very nice. Aventura is, in my limited knowledge of the area a lot more boring than Coral Gables. Here's why. Coral Gables is, like others have said, "a calm, historic, family-oriented neighborhood within a huge city". In Coral Gables, you're close to everything: Downtown, Brickell, South Miami, Dadeland, Coconut Grove, Little Havana, MIA, etc.

Plus, living in Coral Gables is pretty prestigious enough. Everyone wants to live there, because it really is amazing. Beautiful, old homes covered by a forest of huge trees. Plus, nearby Coconut Grove neighborhood has most of Miami's best private schools, many which are ranked as some of the best in the U.S. Coral Gables is suburban-urban for being suburban but within an urban environment. If that makes any sense.

My other suggestion would be Brickell. Now Brickell is a bit different. Unlike, Coral Gables, Brickell is very, very urban, full of upscale office, hotel, and apartment towers with shops on the streets, great public transit, and a very lively 24/7 environment. Also, Brickell is very safe, clean, in a great area, close to everything (even more so than Coral Gables, due to its proximity to South Beach, Little Havana and Midtown), and its prestigious.

So, in conclusion. Look into Coral Gables and Brickell. I think those are your best bets and then decide: "do I want to live in a single-family home or a condo?" That's what it boils down to. Best of luck and I hope you make the right decision! Welcome to Miami!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:46 PM

Thank you ALL!!! You have been extremelly helpful!! I will chek out Brickell for sure!! Coral Gables still sounds good, I love that it's so green and close to fantastic private schools! Regarding the Jew population in Aventura, Planetsurf, you are right, I know many Latin Jewish people for sure, here in Buenos Aires there are plenty. It's just that when somebody mentions Jewish in the US I think of NYC type of Jewish, you know? European, or Israelis. Did not think of South American ones... But yes, you are right. And I have nothing against, all the contrary, I was married to a great Jewish guy, went to Cardozo Law School in NYC, and have many, Israeli friends. Thanks again!

Old 06-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Wants2GotoFL, a question please: is Brickell Key the same as Brickell? Or there is a "Brickell" neighborhood close to Downtown Miami that is not Brickell Key? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami