Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:28 PM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times

Advertisements

More and more people want to live in the city centers which is why in the last decade or so, there has been a revival of downtown areas across the country, just look at Downtown Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Miami has seen one of the largest construction booms since probably the 1920's.

During the height of the boom, Miami was the 2nd-fastest growing city in the world after Dubai, that's astounding! There's a demand to live in Downtown, Midtown and Brickell and in the coming years we're going to truly see the area flourish with people and activity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:25 AM

107 posts, read 367,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I tend to differ. My view is that city life will become cheaper as people get fed up and leave. Once the economy collapses I think that worldwide trade will diversify away from the NYSE and NYMEX and NYC will be toast. All cities have moved away from manufacturing and to financial services. Once this fails, there will be nothing left to support high prices in cities. You give up so much to live in a city, and they think you are willing to pay so much to live in a pidgeon-hole? Manufacturing will return to the US and find that in cities factories, steel mills and the like have been replaced by homes, consumer-driven retail and "smart growth" that prevents future industrialization. Manufacturers will then move to small towns and rural areas where low costs and SPACE allow them to be competitive. I just do not see how high prices on city property will be justified in the years ahead.

You are presenting a scenario where the banks in NYC have collapsed but a strong manufacturing economy can start up in small towns. Who do you think provides the capital for those manufacturing endeavors? Look, I'm not a banker. And I don't particularly like the fact that bankers control the world, but they do. You can't have an economy of any sort without a strong financial services sector. It sucks, but around 500 years ago bankers rigged the system so that we can't live without them. So your scenario seems unlikely to me.

Besides, there are tons of other industries besides financial services that are centered in cities. Manufacturing may or may not return to the USA. If the USD continues to fall then I agree manufacturing could stage a revival in the USA. That's a separate debate. But manufacturing jobs still won't pay well so who cares? The high skill jobs will still be in or close to large cities. The salary differential between skilled and unskilled labor will continue to widen. The high salaries will continue to bid up real estate prices in cities.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:12 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
another example of Miami's green initiatives (I consider Miami 21 such as well)

link (broken link)

Old 06-21-2008, 09:51 AM

124 posts, read 440,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGIANTS View Post
I guess depends on your field and how you want to live. For my field of work I will make the same or very very close to what I make here in NYC.
My Wife is an RN so she will make more for becoming a relocated nurse.
We have a 1 bedroom apt with a nice patio overlooking a pool in Hoboken.
We can get a 2 bedroom one and a half times the size in a high rise (with all the amenities) in brickell or las olas for the same price or less.
And I will not even get into the housing market. What $450K could buy us in Weston compared to say - Morris County New Jersey doesn't even come close.
Again though its all about your standard of living.
I'm not sure people realize how much more expensive it has gotten to live in NYC and any areas with an "acceptable" commute in to Manhattan. Plus what you get for your money is ridiculous. For what we paid for our house in Westchester and the taxes that we pay both income and property we could buy cash in Weston!!

Old 08-09-2009, 02:46 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Reviving this thread because I was just home visiting for the past week and saw some articles about Miami 21 in the Herald while I was there. The most disturbing of which is that the plan was shot down by two guys looking to run for mayor. Thoughts?

I am pretty disappointed. Someone finally has some excellent (and desperately needed) ideas, and the community's "representatives" once again keep the city in the Dark Ages.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:30 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Reviving this thread because I was just home visiting for the past week and saw some articles about Miami 21 in the Herald while I was there. The most disturbing of which is that the plan was shot down by two guys looking to run for mayor. Thoughts?

I am pretty disappointed. Someone finally has some excellent (and desperately needed) ideas, and the community's "representatives" once again keep the city in the Dark Ages.
Hey, never mind. We're getting a brand new stadium for the Florida Marlins @ a cost of over $2.4b, thanks to our wonderful, intelligent, forward-thinking elected officials
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami