U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 PM

763 posts, read 3,170,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMIwolf View Post
Well put. In my opinion, the Miami River is the true heart of Miami, it is rich in history beyond belief. Its rows of small freighters and scrap industries embody all the historical values that made Miami grow like a weed the last 100 years. If there is anyone threatening to kick those shipping businesses off the river, god have mercy on 'em, they will be fighting the oldest and most consistent economic engine in Miami. The products (legal and illegal) that came in on those old freighters helped shape the Miami we live in today.

Most historical landmarks around the country are nothing but abandoned, wasted space or are used for different purposes than originally intended. The interesting thing about the river is that it is a functioning historical zone - it's current activities are the same as in the old days - international trade. It has adapted to vehicle exportation instead of sponge and turtle fisheries and smuggling white powder instead of booze. The same businesses and rackets still take place!!! I could go on even more but I hope the elected official who is threatening the river industries loses his next election bid.
Interesting analysis. I definitely support the shipping industry along the Miami River and I think that those that don't are supporting the wrong things. It's a very important economic engine to our city, and should be protected and promoted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 PM

6,979 posts, read 15,130,458 times
here is the article about the shipping companies

link (broken link)

Like I keep saying, it just seems like Miami officials expect condos to generate income :S

Very odd and absolutly stupid way to think. People in condos need JOBS. Both white and blue collar jobs.

This was written in 2006 about downtown miami, its a good read. Some of it proved to be true

Quote:
Moreover, critics say, truly successful downtowns grow organically over time and cannot simply be created overnight. So far, the condo development has not been accompanied by a comparable spurt in support services, like restaurants, grocery stores and dry cleaners.

"Big is not better — I don't know if it's even logical, having that density," said Michael Y. Cannon, a Miami real estate analyst. "You can't just build on every square inch of land."
Nancy Liebman, president of the Urban Environment League of Greater Miami, which argues for the preservation and enhancement of public space, agreed. "If we're going to be left with a bunch of empty condominiums, I don't think it will bode well for the future of that area," Ms. Liebman said.
link

Last edited by Wild Style; 06-24-2008 at 09:57 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 10:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,230,141 times
Miami has no reason to exist other than a place for people to waste money and time. Cities developed at points of trade, or centers of industry. Miami started off as an agricultural town and became a tourist area. Over time some light industry developed, and trade with third-world countries in the caribbean goes way back. There have been three booms in the last century, the famous 20's bubble, the 80's drug and corruption bubble and the 2001-2005 bubble. Meanwhile the city has become more dependant on financial SERVICES. With agriculture all but gone, and light manufacturing killed by taxes and Team Metro, Miami depends on the disposable income of the world. The coming financial services crash will hit Miami very hard. Then weakened Miami will be swept by a hurricane. The result will be a depressed city with pockets of the super-wealthy. I predict that all those condos will either be winter residences of those with disposable income, or a lot of low-cost housing for workers. Let's hope they become the latter, as the former will seal the third-world status of Miami for the rest of our lives. Remember, history always repeats itself.

1926 Miami: The blow that broke the boom -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 06-25-2008, 01:08 PM

546 posts, read 1,883,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has no reason to exist other than a place for people to waste money and time. Cities developed at points of trade, or centers of industry. Miami started off as an agricultural town and became a tourist area. Over time some light industry developed, and trade with third-world countries in the caribbean goes way back. There have been three booms in the last century, the famous 20's bubble, the 80's drug and corruption bubble and the 2001-2005 bubble. Meanwhile the city has become more dependant on financial SERVICES. With agriculture all but gone, and light manufacturing killed by taxes and Team Metro, Miami depends on the disposable income of the world. The coming financial services crash will hit Miami very hard. Then weakened Miami will be swept by a hurricane. The result will be a depressed city with pockets of the super-wealthy. I predict that all those condos will either be winter residences of those with disposable income, or a lot of low-cost housing for workers. Let's hope they become the latter, as the former will seal the third-world status of Miami for the rest of our lives. Remember, history always repeats itself.

1926 Miami: The blow that broke the boom -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
^^ Thank you debbie downer. I'm against development of the Miami River for more high-rise condos. If you want to revitalize it, try to encourage more industry down there to create more jobs. Once the jobs come, people will want to live in that area and there should be affordable housing for working class types. Make some stuff close to walk to like local restaurants, shops and bars. Nothing too crazy but something affordable for the working class in the area. It would be great to be able to walk somewhere after the new stadium is put up.

Old 06-25-2008, 02:10 PM

710 posts, read 1,948,007 times
tallrick, you're ALWAYS negative posts about Miami are usually good for a chuckle, but this one really made me lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Miami has no reason to exist other than a place for people to waste money and time. Cities developed at points of trade, or centers of industry.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MIAMI HAS BECOME! You might have missed it, but Miami is the financial headquarters of S America and second only to Mex City as the entertainment capital of S America. A point of trade. A fork in the river. A safe, close 'island' or reliable laws and safety in a sea of unknowns.

You want to fly from Caracas to Buenos Aires, you do it through MIA. You want to have a Pan-Latin conference? Miami is high on the list.
LatAm headquarters for Cisco, Nokia, Apple, many of the major US companies are here. Communications, heavy equipment, data, it all flows through Miami. No, there is no manufacturing industry here to speak of, but the ENTIRE US is losing it and there is no room in SoFla for it anyway!

Miami has it's issues and definately needs to refine it's vision going forward. And of course a "financial crisis" (like the 'Great Depression?' Are we storing rice in our bunker yet?) will hit the myriad of companies providing services here hard, but to suggest that nothing $$-wise gets done in Miami is frankly a joke.

AND, if history is doomed to repeat itself like you suggest, then Miami will rise again ANYWAY just like it did after the 26 hurricane!!

Thanks for the laugh, and maybe you should visit Miami sometime. It's a short drive from Key Largo.

Last edited by planetsurf; 06-25-2008 at 02:24 PM..

Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM

74 posts, read 58,225 times
Someone give me an example of a sports staduim that was built in a ghetto (Opps, in this case, barrio) and actually prospered. There will be no walking to nearby retaurants after leaving future Marlins games, never.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305guy View Post
^^ Thank you debbie downer. I'm against development of the Miami River for more high-rise condos. If you want to revitalize it, try to encourage more industry down there to create more jobs. Once the jobs come, people will want to live in that area and there should be affordable housing for working class types. Make some stuff close to walk to like local restaurants, shops and bars. Nothing too crazy but something affordable for the working class in the area. It would be great to be able to walk somewhere after the new stadium is put up.
with real estate being the way it is you don't have to worry about the price issue. That is going to sort itself out.

I agree with everything you said by the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
tallrick, you're ALWAYS negative posts about Miami are usually good for a chuckle, but this one really made me lol.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT MIAMI HAS BECOME! You might have missed it, but Miami is the financial headquarters of S America and second only to Mex City as the entertainment capital of S America. A point of trade. A fork in the river. A safe, close 'island' or reliable laws and safety in a sea of unknowns.

You want to fly from Caracas to Buenos Aires, you do it through MIA. You want to have a Pan-Latin conference? Miami is high on the list.
LatAm headquarters for Cisco, Nokia, Apple, many of the major US companies are here. Communications, heavy equipment, data, it all flows through Miami. No, there is no manufacturing industry here to speak of, but the ENTIRE US is losing it and there is no room in SoFla for it anyway!

Miami has it's issues and definately needs to refine it's vision going forward. And of course a "financial crisis" (like the 'Great Depression?' Are we storing rice in our bunker yet?) will hit the myriad of companies providing services here hard, but to suggest that nothing $$-wise gets done in Miami is frankly a joke.

AND, if history is doomed to repeat itself like you suggest, then Miami will rise again ANYWAY just like it did after the 26 hurricane!!

Thanks for the laugh, and maybe you should visit Miami sometime. It's a short drive from Key Largo.
For the corporations you named, they need to some how get them to move DOWNTOWN. Having corporations spread out is silly. Makes creating a sound mass transit strategy extremely difficult.

As for the manufacturing thing. I wouldn't bet on the "no room thing". I have seen the Miami master plan, they are making moves to create a industrial sector both economically and geographically. At least thats what I read, now can they pull it off? That remains to be seen.

The ONE saving grace for Miami is the fact that it does big business with the Caribbean and Latin America. If they were smart, they would try to get S. American corporate entities to relocate here as well. America is not going to do so well over the next years, so getting foreign money in is a smart and safe bet.

*edit*

to clarify. I don't mean that the foreign corporations should leave their homes countries and settle down in Miami. What I mean is, they should have their N. American corporate head quarters in Miami. I think major trade between S. America, Carribean and Central America is going to SKY rocket soon (next ten years). Miami needs to take steps to ensure they are a major player in this new deal.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM

710 posts, read 1,948,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
For the corporations you named, they need to some how get them to move DOWNTOWN. Having corporations spread out is silly. Makes creating a sound mass transit strategy extremely difficult.
I was commenting on tallrick's "comments" vs the OP, but your right, to a degree I think.

Having white collar business zones in Blue Lagoon, CGables, Brickell, Downtown is the current reality and it won't go away this century. Clarifying these zones a bit more would help but to some companies (like when Burger King was trying to decide where to build/buy) the reality is some workers WILL be coming from Broward.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the commute from PPines or Weston is much better to Blue Lagoon from 75 to the Palmetto vs downtown via 95.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I was commenting on tallrick's "comments" vs the OP, but your right, to a degree I think.

Having white collar business zones in Blue Lagoon, CGables, Brickell, Downtown is the current reality and it won't go away this century. Clarifying these zones a bit more would help but to some companies (like when Burger King was trying to decide where to build/buy) the reality is some workers WILL be coming from Broward.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but the commute from PPines or Weston is much better to Blue Lagoon from 75 to the Palmetto vs downtown via 95.
I see what you are saying but here is the thing. Gas prices are high and no, they are not going away. So mass transit should take the priority. With that said, from broward to downtown miami via tri rail takes about 45 minutes to a hour depending on where you start out at.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 PM

74 posts, read 58,225 times
Quote:

Having white collar business zones in Blue Lagoon, CGables, Brickell, Downtown is the current reality and it won't go away this century.
Blue Lagoon is white collar? Has it always been that way? I think there are too many Navarros and Valsans in that area for it to be in mentioned alongside Coral Gables, Brickell, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or