Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 08:12 PM

201 posts, read 983,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
people have told me to check out hallendale, del rey and pompano.
yes i was asking about florida.
it also sounds like parts of davie are rural.

Hallandale and Delray Beach are very nice coastal towns , although they are not rural at all ... they are beach towns full of condos , nice restaurants and grumpy wealthy retired old Jewish people .... both are getting younger though with yuppies beginning to move in . Both are nicer the closer you get to the ocean , with the crappier parts being farther west . In a nutshell I like both areas ... but I am beach guy . I would avoid Pompano it does have its ghetto aspects ... although not as bad as Homestead . Davie is nice it is near Weston where I live , but it is no longer really rural like it was 10 -15 years ago . All of the mentioned areas beat Homestead hands down and you will feel more like you are in the U.S. again !!!

You should check them all out over a few week ends .

Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
will do. thanks

Old 04-27-2007, 07:52 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnnino View Post
Hallandale and Delray Beach are very nice coastal towns , although they are not rural at all ... they are beach towns full of condos , nice restaurants and grumpy wealthy retired old Jewish people .... both are getting younger though with yuppies beginning to move in . Both are nicer the closer you get to the ocean , with the crappier parts being farther west . In a nutshell I like both areas ... but I am beach guy . I would avoid Pompano it does have its ghetto aspects ... although not as bad as Homestead . Davie is nice it is near Weston where I live , but it is no longer really rural like it was 10 -15 years ago . All of the mentioned areas beat Homestead hands down and you will feel more like you are in the U.S. again !!!

You should check them all out over a few week ends .
What are you talking about, the worse areas of Delray Beach being West? The worst areas are off the highway close to the ocean, but not quite on it (that's where the mansions come in). Seriously, there's the ghetto, downtown, and then mansions, all near the beach. It's weird. But the real ghetto, the worst areas of Delray Beach are shockingly close to the ocean. And not everyone in Delray is Jewish, it is a very diverse city with a big African-American population (30% of the city), and a growing Hispanic population (about 30%), though of course there are many Jewish people here but you make it sound like the whole city is like that.

But if you can get a nice suburban home in Delray Beach it is good. There's alot to do there, and the downtown is simply fantastic. But if you're poor it's like hell on earth.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:46 AM

201 posts, read 983,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
What are you talking about, the worse areas of Delray Beach being West? The worst areas are off the highway close to the ocean, but not quite on it (that's where the mansions come in). Seriously, there's the ghetto, downtown, and then mansions, all near the beach. It's weird. But the real ghetto, the worst areas of Delray Beach are shockingly close to the ocean. And not everyone in Delray is Jewish, it is a very diverse city with a big African-American population (30% of the city), and a growing Hispanic population (about 30%), though of course there are many Jewish people here but you make it sound like the whole city is like that.

But if you can get a nice suburban home in Delray Beach it is good. There's alot to do there, and the downtown is simply fantastic. But if you're poor it's like hell on earth.

Hallandale is very Jewish and the crappier areas are west of I-95 , I probably should have explained that on my post , also mentioned that yuppies and younger people are moving into these areas , nothing wrong with old Jewish people they just seemed to be pissed off all the time . You are correct on Delray Beach though I probably should have made that clear and thanks for pointing out my mistake .

Old 04-29-2007, 01:43 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
Default the Spanish thing is actually a positive thing for me...

I have been studying for two years (part on my own, part private instruction) and would like to get into an immersion situation where I'm really forced to learn further (but without actually moving to a foreign country).

Will putting "Spanish" on my resume give me an advantage on finding something decent in Miami or Orlando?

Also, I've read a lot here about people in Miami being rude. If you speak Spanish to them does this help break the ice or is the rudeness permanently ingrained?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:41 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
I have been studying for two years (part on my own, part private instruction) and would like to get into an immersion situation where I'm really forced to learn further (but without actually moving to a foreign country).

Will putting "Spanish" on my resume give me an advantage on finding something decent in Miami or Orlando?

Also, I've read a lot here about people in Miami being rude. If you speak Spanish to them does this help break the ice or is the rudeness permanently ingrained?
if u move to miami u will have to speak fluent spanish for the mostpart. the people, generally speaking, in south florida are rude but its not a language thing its a culture thing. there are very nice people down here though, you just have to find them. if u want to improve your spanish without moving to spain then move to miami.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:05 AM

158 posts, read 647,032 times
If you move to Miami spanish is sometimes helpfull. The rudeness factor of Miami is extremely exaggerated on this forum, I find the colombians, venezuelans, brazilians, Argentinans, haitians, small asian communinity, even cubans to be extremely nice and fun and not rude overall.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
thats such a lie. i have met people down here who have said things so very mean for no reason its made _ME_ want to roll into a little ball and cry somewhere.
people here are way more harsh than any new yorker. new yorkers find people mean and rude down here. new yorkers down here i consider the FRIENDLY ones. thats how skewed my perspective on niceness is now.
i remember my parents visiting and we went to a dennys for lunch and my parents and brothers were bubbling over with happiness and emotion and i looked around the room and realized they stuck out like crazy.
my gf and i realized at that point we had become emotionally deadened by this place. you begin to look at the world with extreme cynicism to cope with the reality here. i had a conversation with my brother the other day but it was hard to relate and he kept taking my seriousness of tone as provoking an arguement.

i see that i can achieve what i want to do here because i can indulge in my hobbies here with the tropical climate but seriously, its like enjoying ice cream while standing on molten blacktop.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post

I can't speak for Orlando, but in Miami it will help putting Spanish on your resume, IMO depending on the company you are apply at and what type of position you are applying for it does help. IMO, the rudeness isn't an English/Spanish language thing, its just Miami, its people not wanting to bother someone else, its just easier to not acknowlege someone than to have a conversation if you are in a rush or for what ever reason. People in Miami for the most part, not everyone, mind their own business, which can come off as rude. You will find nice people, not everyone is rude in Miami of course, but somedays it does feel like the whole city is rude, I have to admit that. To your last question, I don't know as I don't speak Spanish, but I think it does help. I have noticed sometimes (not always) the difference in service someone that speaks spanish will get vs. someone that doesn't speak Spanish.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM

975 posts, read 3,730,190 times
Default thanks...

I realize there is probably a grain of truth about what people are saying here about the rudeness, however I have a Cuban friend here and I met his family who were visiting (lifelong Miamians) and they were very friendly...so I also take it with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMR09 View Post
If you move to Miami spanish is sometimes helpfull. The rudeness factor of Miami is extremely exaggerated on this forum, I find the colombians, venezuelans, brazilians, Argentinans, haitians, small asian communinity, even cubans to be extremely nice and fun and not rude overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami