Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 05:21 PM

4 posts, read 21,828 times

Advertisements

I'm a single, black male in my late twenties with no wife, or kids. I've always dreamed of living in South Florida as early as 13 or 14 years old. I love the water, the beach, the subtropic climate and the cultural mix. I've been to the Miami area twice and absolutely loved it. I will be returning the second wknd in August. I've been seriously thinking of relocating being that I'm single and don't have anything holding me back at this point. I feel like now is the opportune time. I've lived in TX all my life and currently live in Dallas, TX. Dallas is a great city-affordable living, spacious, and pretty good job market (even during these times). However, I've been here for almost 10 years; I'm somewhat ready for something new. I've read through some of the threads and from my observation people either love S. Florida or hate it from the depts of their soul. I just really need some honest, unbiased advice on what to expect. I realize that vacationing in S. FL and living there are totally different. I really just want to know what to expect as far as the people, job market (IT industry), house/renting market, churches, etc. As much as I loved it there, I'm not going to just up and move without fully considering the pros & cons. At this point I'm considering 4 relocation cities: Miami area and Tampa in Florida; Atlanta or Houston outside Florida. I apologize for the long messge. I just really need some insight. Thanks for your patience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 05:51 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
I think the Tampa area would be what you are looking for because right now Miami's real estate market is out of whack,there are a lot of foreclosures on homes,prices have been driven up by foreign speculators and investors.Miami is my favorite city,because I love the subtropical look it has,but is probably the most expensive of the cities mentioned when considering wages to cost of living

Tampa has St Petersburg and Clearwater for beautiful beaches since you said you like the water,but property values,taxes and insurance still at a premium.. Atlanta is too landlocked,however has a great business climate and favorable wages and I believe that is the same with Houston as far as the business climate goes.

Old 07-21-2008, 01:43 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlover79 View Post
I realize that vacationing in S. FL and living there are totally different.
Yeah, BUT ... if you go with eyes wide open and realize that you won't be at a club every night you CAN tell what life is like in a very general sense by visiting. August is a perfect time to check out one of the worst months in SoFla -- hot, hurricane threats and not much going on.

Quote:
I really just want to know what to expect as far as the people, job market (IT industry), house/renting market, churches, etc.
I think by reading these boards you can get a feel for the people -- weird mix of rich Latins/Northerners, working class Latins, people from the Islands, poorer African-American population, young folk looking to have fun on the beach. Some people are nice, some great, some suck.
The job market is ok. Don't know what your specialty is, but take a look at the job boards in addition to job postings of some of the larger companies here (like Ryder or Burger King). Lots of networking needs in the "financial towers" on Brickell and downtown, etc. Some require Spanish, most don't.
You really need to check out the boards.
Right now, a LOT of folks are underwater on condo "flips" gone wrong. You can find reasonable cost vs quality in lots of well placed buildings.
The church thing? Can't help you. BUT I know there are some pretty active Black churches (if that's what your looking for) that attract a varied group that I'VE heard of so they must be out there.

Quote:
Miami area and Tampa in Florida
VERY different as I'm sure you're aware of.
Everytime I go to Tampa I think "nice!" It's a nice place. Better to visit both.

Quote:
Atlanta or Houston outside Florida.
Can't help you with Houston (only driven through), but I lived in Atlanta for 5 years. VERY prominent black middle class as I'm sure you're aware of. Nice city. A lot going on and ok job/real estate market. But a little too slow for me and it tends to be a kind of isolated place in the middle of the Deep South!

Hope that helps. When you visit in August you should really spend a some time trying hard to be a local -- visit a Target or Publix, try and look up a Church or some rentals you might be interested in. As you noted, some people love Miami, some hate it, it isn't for everybody -- the hassles have to be worth it to you.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:00 PM

Actually, networking is my area of expertise. That works out really well. Thanks for the advice planetsurf.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:10 AM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
LOL I might be a little late. But I'm a black single female (26) and I think I can somewhat relate. I grew up in Houston and I now live in Ft Lauderdale so I've had both experiences. I too had the stars in my eyes when I first came here but they quickly faded once the reality set in. I am looking to move away in another year. Visiting can be a lot of fun, but once you live here, you soon realize how expensive it is and how there is a teeny tiny small middle class of black people. The pay is extremelly low and the job availablity is not that great so there is a huge gap between the rich and poor. Unfortunately very very few of us are rich unlike great places in Houston, DC, Atlanta. Long-term I would never raise a family here either. (Schools districts are terrible). If you're into nice clubs, there are only a tiny handful of nice places for black people to chill or party. They can start to get really ghetto which sucks for people that don't like that kind of scene. Sorry to burst your bubble but I would not recommend living down here unless you have a lot of money. Even then, I still wouldn't really find it a pleasant place to live.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:52 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times
I am from Dallas, moved to Miami 3 years ago and stayed for 2 years. I am back in Dallas. Here are my impressions:

-people: people are more open than dallasites. I miss how miamians did try to make friends with me. People in Dallas are very nice but we keep more to ourselves. That midwestern character. On the other hand Miamians (at times) are kind of rude. You will see this in their lack of manners and interpersonal treatment. No Good Mornings, no holding of doors for women, no greetings, yelling all the time, using spanish as language de facto, etc. This struck me so bizarre.
-job market (IT industry); You should be able to find more opportunities in FLL. Although along Doral there are several telecommunication and high tech industries.
-house/renting market: EXPENSIVE and compare to dallas is ....not even a comparison.
-churches: I am atheist. Cant help u there.

I have been back several times and do value the time, my experiences and the people I met. Miami is a very tough city when compared to Dallas but also a special place and I think in the future I may be back.

(BTW, love the cosmopolitan atmosphere of the city very much.)

Old 10-16-2008, 12:44 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,159 times
Exclamation Stop, Look and Listen

Quote:
I realize that vacationing in S. FL and living there are totally different. I really just want to know what to expect as far as the people, job market (IT industry), house/renting market, .
arent you glad Im here?

No, vacationing and living there is in all totality different from every way imaginable...take it from me. I know

At this point, Miami isnt the 'in' spot to be moving at this point of time. Its up there with California as far as recession is concerned.

Another thing is youre not the only one mesmorizing about moving to Miami, a place you and 1,000s of other people have only visited once or twice. you dont marry a woman you've only dated once or twice right?

Do Miami a favor and forget about it, as it is already over-crowded for its size which is driving everything from car insurance to apartments through the roof.

I get kind of pissed at the fact that whenever my friends or family from out of town go to Miami, they start talking about moving just because its beautiful and so on...as if 50 million other people arent doing the same thing driving us natives out of our hometown....

Find beauty elsewhere, Miami needs its time to recover from the years of over population. Eventually people will move out due to this recession and hopefully it will become a more balanced place...

Oh I forgot, its a "3rd world country"...it'll be anything but balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
I am from Dallas, moved to Miami 3 years ago and stayed for 2 years. I am back in Dallas. Here are my impressions:
-people: people are more open than dallasites. I miss how miamians did try to make friends with me. People in Dallas are very nice but we keep more to ourselves. That midwestern character. On the other hand Miamians (at times) are kind of rude. .
See, I keep telling my friends that these Dallas people are antisocial maniacs. They're all in your face when you know them, but at a club or any other social event...they wont even say a word to you. I hate that country ****. People in Miami talk with you all the time, even if they want to just ****, atleats they are more open and not like shy little *******s.

Last edited by UrbaneAspects; 10-16-2008 at 12:58 AM..

Old 10-16-2008, 09:13 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,026 times
I dont think Dallasites are antisocial. Cities get their character from the people that make them. Miami made up mostly of hispanics...tend to be more gregarious and open. Kind of blunt and rude, but welcoming as well. (its a weird combination but y'all know what i mean). They may scream at you, curse at you, but then 5 minutes later they treat you for a cuban coffee,and end up becoming your best friends.

Dallas is made up of pioneers and norther mexicans. These are hardy people that had to settle this land and in the process became very independent and stoic.

Both have their good and bad. But to the original poster...if u can do it and ur mind is calling to move to miami, do it. Just go with an open mind. Dont compare. Go with a positive attitude and it will be GREAT!!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM

Cool Compelled to respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaneAspects View Post
Do Miami a favor and forget about it, as it is already over-crowded for its size which is driving everything from car insurance to apartments through the roof.

I get kind of pissed at the fact that whenever my friends or family from out of town go to Miami, they start talking about moving just because its beautiful and so on...as if 50 million other people arent doing the same thing driving us natives out of our hometown....

Find beauty elsewhere, Miami needs its time to recover from the years of over population. Eventually people will move out due to this recession and hopefully it will become a more balanced place...

Oh I forgot, its a "3rd world country"...it'll be anything but balanced

See, I keep telling my friends that these Dallas people are antisocial maniacs. They're all in your face when you know them, but at a club or any other social event...they wont even say a word to you. I hate that country ****. People in Miami talk with you all the time, even if they want to just ****, atleats they are more open and not like shy little *******s.
First of all, it's not as crowded as DFW. I know, I've been there (Miami). There's over 6 million people in Dallas/FW. Miami is small to me. You could fit 2 or 3 Miami's in this area. You obviously haven't been to Dallas or Houston.

Second of all, no one is driving you out of your hometown. You don't have to leave just because I come there. I think that's a very rude and cochy attitude to have anyway. I won't hold you against Miami though. I've actually met some cool people there. I have friends there that I've made and they have had nothing but positive things to say about my moving to the area and they have encouraged me to do so.

Third, I'll find beauty wherever the h*** I want. It's a free country. Besides, I've had time to visit and do research since my last post and Ft. Lauderdale would suit me better anyway. I'm not moving there to party on South Beach every weekend. I've done that enough. It gets old. Even I realize that and I don't even live there.

Also, I don't think it's fair that you label all Dallas people as being " antisocial maniacs." I consider myself very outgoing. That would be like me saying all people in Miami are rude and cochy; similar to yourself, but I can't say that because I've met some really nice people there. So, lesson to everyone: don't label a whole city of people by their worst citizens.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Everyone

To all of the responders on here. I appreciate all of your honest and candid feedback. I realize that no matter where you move things will get old. I still love Dallas very much and realize that it's one of the better places to live as far as cost of living, opportunity, and affordability. However, I'm still young and SINGLE, and I feel that I owe it to myself to experience something else. If it doesn't work out, I have a place I can always come back to. I'm a believer in making the most out of every experience and I GUARANTEE you that if I make the decision to move to the area it will be great becasue I will make it great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami