Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 03:52 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,757,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Actually, 20,000 people leave Miami every year, most of them probably being Hispanic.
I guess that wouldn't seem awkward if the hispanic population wasn't growing so fast in Miami. If what you're saying is true, and there is a net migration of 20,000 out of Dade (most being hispanic) - all the while the Miami's hispanic population seems to grow. That just goes to show how large of an immigration outlet Miami is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:59 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,235,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I guess that wouldn't seem awkward if the hispanic population wasn't growing so fast in Miami. If what you're saying is true, and there is a net migration of 20,000 out of Dade (most being hispanic) - all the while the Miami's hispanic population seems to grow. That just goes to show how large of an immigration outlet Miami is.
That is true. Miami loses 20,000 people a year but makes up around the same amount due to immigration.

Anglos and blacks are no longer moving to Miami though. In fact the Anglo population in South Florida in general has been decreasing:

Non-Hispanic whites leaving Broward, Palm Beach County in large numbers

While black immigrants are now moving to Broward/Palm Beach Counties directly instead of Dade.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:14 PM

I think I remember that Jamaicans dominated southern Broward, or that there were a lot more Jamaicans in Broward than Dade. What about Haitians? Are they still moving en masse to Little Haiti? Or are they slowly becoming educated and moving northward to find better jobs?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:05 PM

483 posts, read 1,542,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84 View Post
Let's face it here: Miami may not look so third-world when comparing it to places like Honduras and Mexico, but compare Miami to ANY American city (NY, SF, Chicago, Boston) and yes, it is DEFINITELY less "American". Miami has many traits of a foreign country--billboards and signs written in Spanish (and often times, only Spanish), hearing the Spanish language being spoken more than any other language, poor infrastructure, garbage and stray animals everywhere, more areas of poverty than wealth, etc. Go to any other city in the United States and you will not see these things as blatant as you do in Miami. Sure though, there are one or two VERY small neighborhoods in Chicago that resemble Little Havana (Pilsen and pockets in the South Side), but certainly not the city as a whole. It's not crammed down your throat everywhere you turn. Like it's been said many times before on this forum, the only people who like Miami are as follows:

1) People who were born and raised in Miami
2) People who moved to Miami from someplace worse
3) People who have lived in Miami for a short period of time (i.e. less than year)
4) [Maybe] people who live in extreme wealth

Find someone who loves Miami (not just tolerates) that doesn't fall within one of the above categories. Personally, the entire time I lived in Miami, I never ONCE found someone who moved from a world-class city like SF, Boston, or Chicago that said "I love it in Miami!" Every single one was looking to leave as soon as possible.
I pretty much disagree with alot that you say. Miami looks different than the cities you mention because they were built differently and are not similiar in looks for the most part. Miami was built primarily after 1950 in a tropical climate. Miami looks more like cities in Florida, California and basically anyother city built for cars in a warmer climate. the nice neighborhoods look alike, the bad neighborhoods look alike too. bad neighborhoods in Miami are no different than in Pheonix than in Boston when it comes to ugliness, crime and poverty. Homes, streets and appearence are not going to be the same, but I will say ghettos in the north east seem far more worse then they do in Florida.
The bilboard in spanish to begin with are not that abundant but you can go to LA, NY/NJ, and Houston and find the same exact thing, I can gaurantee you that. Spanish being spoken really doesnt register as third world in my mind, mainly that alot of latinos live here, why poverty? Once again infrastructure is not terribly bad, they arent close to the scenario in actual third world countries, but are similiar to plenty of other cities in America, dont get your drift with that statement. I also disagree with you and garbage and animals everywhere? Thats going a bit too far, you might find garbage next to highways and in poor neighborhoods like Opa-Locka, Little Haiti not in Kendall, Doral or Miami Lakes which was the majority of Miami looks like.
And I couldnt disagree with your idea of who are the only people that like Miami any more. That is by far your most outlandish and ridiculous statement.
First of all-
1) native Miamians could love or absolutly hate this city, smae as in any other place on this planet.
2) Thats not always true, plenty of South Americans dont like the American lifestyle and I know that choose to move back or just live with it but sure dont like it. Partly true but can be the case in just about any city.
3) This honeymoon faze preached by people like you and doggiebus is in the simplest form laughable. I recently passed the 1 year line and feel pretty much the same I did 10 or 8 months ago. I im sure theres plenty more, probaly get out more.
4) Thats true but not always and not the only case.
Im somebody that doesnt fall within your ridiculous catagories and love Miami and to find somebody else Ill just name my good friend from California that has lived here for I believe 8 or 9 years. Thats just one that you asked I can name you plenty more I know but im also sure there more I dont know of you apperently never knew, beside the fact most doemstic emigrants are in fact from New York and im sure there plenty that "love" Miami, the same for probaly any city too. Alot of people here seem to socialize with depressing crowds.

And about the anglo exodus, Im sure its true but in 2006 the white percentage hold increased along with the black and asian while the hispanic hold decreased in Miami-Dade. And nationally these aclaimed "word class cities" like San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Boston are experiencing far more drastic exodus of anglos and blacks. With only hispanic and in some asian immigrants showing a slight increae and still having a population decrease, which is not the case in Miami where in fact the city is growing in rates not see since the 1960's, and unless theres been some immigration wave I dont know of, Im sure lots of those can be white.

Last edited by TannerMan; 08-14-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,845,583 times
West Palm Beach has worse infrastructure than Miami. Their water system is failing, and it has an even bigger wealth gap than Miami, and their leaders seem to only care about making the place "look" nice instead of be nice. And guess what? Created nearly 100% by "Anglo" (whatever that means) Americans. Not insulting WPB but just sayin...

Miami has the wealth gap and "look nice" problem too, but I actually see a lot of good things happening politically in the past year or two. Still a lot of progress to made and far from the perfect city (very very far), but why is it that we have to blame the "Latins" in power? Is it the blacks fault in Atlanta or the whites fault in Chicago? There are a lot of Latin American cues in Miami, but that doesn't make it "third world" even though I admit to parts having a third world feel. Then again, parts of Palm Beach County and yes even places like Atlanta or NYC or LA or any other city look "third world" too in parts, just without the pastel colors and different ethnic composition.

I am not by any means justifying Miami's problems or even saying that it's really that great of a place to live, but the "third world" term has been thrown around just a little too much. If people can drink the water and have a place to flush their **** in ALL economic classes (Which they do), it's not third world, sorry. It's Latinized yes, it's corrupt yes, and it's pretty sketchy in many areas too, but I could definitely see how someone might actually LIKE living there and there is no need to be arrogant about it because you (not referring to anyone in particular) didn't like it and neither did your friends but someone else does. This is coming from someone who would never live south of the Dade line, but that's simply my preference and I'm not going to assume something is wrong with them or they are inferior to me or where they are from is "inferior" if that isn't someone else's preference. You can also like Miami/South Florida and yet be critical of it as well, believe it or not.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-14-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,235,561 times
Well, if we're going to mention West Palm Beach we might as well mention the fact that the billboards are in Spanish here too, just drive down S. Military Trail or Congress Ave.

I think the problem with Miami though is that when people come here it's not quite what they expect or it's completely different from what they're used to. But you can't just say people don't like it because of Hispanics. What about the thousands of Hispanics moving out each year?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:05 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,845,583 times
Quote:
Well, if we're going to mention West Palm Beach we might as well mention the fact that the billboards are in Spanish here too, just drive down S. Military Trail or Congress Ave.
That may be so, but that is more like the typical "Hispanic area" that you see in tons of other US cities. It isn't predominately Hispanic like Dade and the Hispanics aren't predominately middle class like Broward. What I'm saying is the social/political structure isn't foreign to the US at all.

Quote:
I think the problem with Miami though is that when people come here it's not quite what they expect or it's completely different from what they're used to.
I think that's the problem with Florida at large.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,867,983 times
I can understand the people who are forced to move here due to work.. but other than that.. shouldn't the people who move here love it? To move to Miami out of interest you would think the people would want to go to a burger king and see the signs in spanish, or walk down the street and hear 10 people speak and hear 10 different languages. That is what makes this place so interesting. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Ive seen a lot of people yelling at eachother, but I've also noticed all of it could have been avoided if they were simply nicer in the beginning.

Yesterday I saw a bum walking near Johnny Rockers, actually being quite friendly until a worker proceeded to shout GET THE F*** out of here! Well obviously he got mad and it only started a loud fight.

I do think the rude people is over dramatisized.. Obviously you will come into contact with idiots... Its not a Miami thing.. its a USA thing, this is why when you talk to many people from other countries they will tell you many Americans are rude and conceited. They don't say people of Miami, they say the people of the world.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
And guess what? Created nearly 100% by "Anglo" (whatever that means) Americans. Not insulting WPB but just sayin...
South Florida may have changed a lot in the last few years, but WPB wasn't designed to be a refugee camp when it was first laid out by "Anglos." The fact that it is being taken over by poor people from other countries and that there is desparity there only goes to show that the "Anglos" might be resisting the wave that has already consumed Broward over the last few years. If they improved the infrastructure and cleaned up the bad areas, only more of what the old guard in WPB might refer to as "undesirables" would come in. I am only playing the devil's advocate, but I think that maybe the powers that be in WPB are trying to slow growth "of the wrong kind." Besides, much of the rapid growth like we have seen in Florida the last few years has been downright reckless.

Also, would you want your county/city to be nothing more than a cheap alternative to other, more urbanized areas?

Last edited by big mean bear; 08-14-2008 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-16-2008, 06:25 PM

378 posts, read 1,439,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
You will notice aspects of Allapath and/or Little Havana (in varying degrees) in both function and/or physical appearance throughout all of Miami. This is both unique and unhealthy for any major city (to have a whole city look and act just like it's immigrant enclaves)
Actually it is good that some people can go to a area where there is a sense of uniqueness. After all the whole cookie-cutter suburban lifestyle is too fake for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami