Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 05:02 PM

1 posts, read 6,002 times

Advertisements

I'm heavily considering a move there, but is it really that bad? Actually, I am looking at Miami Beach, not Miami: is there a difference? What is it like to live on the water in South Beach, or Millionaire's Row, or Bal Harbor or Sunny Isles? Tell me something nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 08:59 PM

4 posts, read 17,628 times
Hi! I live in Miami and actually am attempting to relocate. Let's put it this way...Miami is and isn't for some people. Miami Beach is still considered in the Miami area but it's way more ''glamourized'' then Miami's Kendall or Westchester area. The beach is set up to attract tourists with its restaurants, lavish condos, etc. There are some nice places on the beach like appartments but it costs some money lol. But all in all, it depends on who you are and your preferences; you might like it!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:22 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheWroteIt View Post
I'm heavily considering a move there, but is it really that bad? Actually, I am looking at Miami Beach, not Miami: is there a difference? What is it like to live on the water in South Beach, or Millionaire's Row, or Bal Harbor or Sunny Isles? Tell me something nice!
Nothing is that bad if you have a good attitude, live in one of the best neighborhoods, and have a lot of money, roughly in that order.

To be sure, you listed some of the best that Miami has to offer.

What you don't tell us is whether this would be for vacation, retirement, or a residence while working, say, downtown Miami.

If, between wealth and work, you have around $100k income or better and you work downtown/Brickell, the commute from Miami Beach, Bal Harbor, Sunny Isles is not that bad at all, it could actually be pleasant along the coast.

Get a good map of the city of Miami and Miami-Dade County to see the different neighborhoods and municipalities: it can be confusing because there is, for example, Miami, Miami Beach, North Miami Beach, South Miami, etc., all separate municipalities ... Kendall and Westchester are in western Miami-Dade County, either part of the municipality of Miami or unincorporated parts of Miami-Dade County.

In any case, Miami Beach is a separate municipality from the city of Miami and the two entities are separated by the body of water known as the intercoastal, access is by bridge.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 AM

42 posts, read 185,221 times
Live on the water in South Beach, or Millionaire's Row, or Bal Harbor or Sunny Isles,this ideas seem so exciting.
wether on a vacation or a residence while working.but maybe for vacation is so good,live that place long time is lonely.
one day,I can have a time to live such place for a sho rt time,so beautiful

Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM

710 posts, read 2,233,399 times
Quote:
Is what really that bad? Some people hate Miami, obviously others love it. I think most people are in the middle, they like it to varying degrees. Traffic, crime, costs, all those negatives are pretty normal for a largish city. Nothing crazy, nothing too easy. You'll hear tons of Spanish, but to me I like it! I thinks it adds to Miami's flavor (sabor). Other than that, I can't think of anything specifically negative to Miami (other than the heat!).

Miami Beach is part of the Metro area of Miami, not the City of Miami. MOST of "Miami" is NOT the City BUT (just to confuse things) the county is called Miami-Dade County.

The best parts of Miami, IN MY OPINION, are the beach - Aventura to Sunny Isles (incl Bal Harbour), then North Beach to South Beach AND the Brickell/Coconut Grove/Coral Gables/S Miami/Pincrest/E Kendall corridor.

Many other parts of Miami are fine/safe areas (Doral & W Kendall come to mind) but not really my cup of tea.

That being said, not sure who you are; income, kids or single, partier or quiet walk-on-the-beach type, job type/location, etc. Bal Harbour is great if you like a little higher income area and can afford it. Being on the water is ALWAYS great and I think there are some great buildings there, lower/older places on the intercoastal side and higher ones on the beach.
For a slightly lower income area (still expensive, it's all relative) look at North Beach. Cute little communtiy full of a mix of Orthodox Jews, Argentinians, ex-New Yorkers and the assorted, typical "Miami Mix."
Getting to I-95 is easy from there (the main N-S artery) and you are central if working S Beach, Dwntwn/Brickell, CGables/Blue Lagoon or even driving up to Broward.

We love living down here. Suits us. I think the best advice for you is to come down during an "off" time (August or September) before it cools off and the 'season' (Oct-April) and it's assorted madness (like Art Basel) starts -- check out rents, drive by places, "commute" at 8 am (or 5:30 pm), go to a Publix and Target and do a "test drive" ... I think a lot of people rightfully love it for vacation, but day to day life is less fun (obviously) and becomes not worth it to some.

Good Luck!

Last edited by planetsurf; 08-03-2008 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-03-2008, 12:44 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Yes Miami is that bad. Miami Beach is better in some ways because its slightly isolated away from the bad. If you can live, work, and play all on Miami Beach you have it made (if you like heat and humidity). If this tells you anything, I have watch about 15 people not including spouse and children leave Miami in the last 2 years. I just had another friend move her family out of Florida this weekend. Right behind a friend that left three weeks ago with his family. My single friends have moved to NYC mostly. I will soon be the last of the mohicans.

People I know are not staying here, if that tells you anything. These people btw are highly educated, payed well or even very well, and they are still leaving. Most of the people that I have met that have moved here in the last few years have all ready moved away. Well I know one person that moved here 7 or 8 years ago thats still here, but they just sent resumes up north, so they will probably leave soon too.

But like others have said you can only be the one that can say if you will like it here. Come and visit and figure it out on your own.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Why not come here and visit many times? I think that would be your best bet. Depending on strangers who do not share your same personal views isn't the best way to make such a decission.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
Miami-Dade has a lot of beautiful city suburbs and way more nice areas than bad areas. The nice areas are very expensive such as : Coral Gables, Coconut Grove,Miami Lakes ,Miami Springs,Miami Shores , Key Biscayne Kendall, Fisher Island(Billionaires Row), Kendall, Aventura, Doral, Pinecrest(village),the Brickell area, Blue Lagoon area,South Miami.The Miami Beach side would be Sunny Isles, Bal Harbour, Normandy Isles and South Beach

The middle -class areas would be Hialeah ,Hialeah Gardens, Miami Gardens,Virginia Gardens and North Miami

Old 08-03-2008, 02:06 PM

598 posts, read 2,074,550 times
Quote:
Yeah, it really is that bad. I lived in Miami Beach and well, it was riddled with problems (see my other posts or I can DM you b/c I'm sure everyone is sick of my opinion) Basically, bring money. Lots of money.

So, nice things....yes, it is great to live on the water. Millionaire's row is a fine place to live (Bal Harbor is pretty darn snotty). The food and shopping are fantastic.

But even with that, it's a really bad place to live. (except if you are wealthy w/ no kids).

Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM

22 posts, read 66,478 times
Default miami isn't that expensive

I mean it's not like LA, SF, DC, NY, etc.

Many people from those cities consider Miami cheap.

What makes people feel that it's so expensive is the local job market sucks. The economy is dominated by low-wage service sector type jobs. And much of the lucrative jobs in real estate and finance, banking, are disappearing because of the housing downturn.

Miami right now is a great place to live if you are a bankruptcy attorney or have a lot of northern money to blow for a little while.

It's not a good place to make a life for yourself, let alone raise a family. The schools suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami