Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,421,443 times

Advertisements

I figured with Fay heading your way that everyone was in panic mode..True or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:37 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,033 times
We're not in panic mode, just getting ready. We've been through a cat 1 before and yes, it's dangerous, but not too bad. Just getting our supplies in order & will use common sense. Our generator has been well-maintained and we are prepared.

Hopefully it will stay to the west like track 1 is predicting. But that puts us on the "dirty" side and my main concern is tornadoes spinning off. That can be just as destructive as the hurricane itself. But it really might not be that bad if it stays west. Maybe just some t.s. force winds?

Thing is, you never really know where exactly it's going to turn - hurricane tracking is an inexact science - so we are preparing as if we would take a direct hit, just to play it safe.

I'd be in more of a panic mode for a cat 4 or 5 hurricane. We'd definitely evacuate for that.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:41 PM

Well I know how WSVN hypes everything up and freaks everyone out. I just wanted to see if HD or Publix was going crazy yet..Sure do miss those hurricane parties though

Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
What do you guys usually do to prepare for hurricanes? What are the biggest problems that usually arise?

Old 08-16-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Well I know how WSVN hypes everything up and freaks everyone out. I just wanted to see if HD or Publix was going crazy yet..Sure do miss those hurricane parties though
They do hype it up a lot. I don't watch it all the time because it will make you freak out. But I think maybe it's better that that they over-alert than under-alert so people are more prepared than not. Like I said, the professionals themselves don't really know exactly what route the storm will take, so it's best to assume it's coming here and then be grateful that it didn't than the other way around.

I haven't been to HD or Publix since we already had all our supplies, so can't comment on that.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
What do you guys usually do to prepare for hurricanes? What are the biggest problems that usually arise?
Get yourself a good 3 day supply of bottled water and canned foods so you don't have to wait for the government to give it to you (they may not), move to low ground/lowest floor, use hurricane shutters or board up your windows if you can (or if you rent ask your landlord about it), and try to stay in a pre-1980 or post-1992 structure. Also, get yourself a few good flashlights and one lantern, a radio/batteries, some bleach, and fill your bathtub (if you have one) with tap water before the hurricane. Other than that, invite a few of your friends to your place, get some booze (maybe even some pot, unless your the type who gets paranoid easily), and have a little "hurricane party" to pass time during the worst of the storm.

Personally, I buy everything I need in May and just use everything up by the end of the season if we don't have any storms.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
To prepare for hurricanes you have to have all your hurricane supplies at home - food, water, flashlights/lanterns, batteries, radios, etc. and shutter your windows, maybe doors if needed.

Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - Special Edition: Surviving a Storm (http://www1.wsvn.com/weather/hurricane/surviving_storm/ - broken link)

If your home is not safe, you have to evacuate to a shelter or a friend's or relative's home.

Biggest problem is waiting too long to get the supplies and not having them because the stores run out, and not having power for weeks afterward.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:35 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I would not be worried except for my parent's home. I have been 100% right on my predictions from year to year since I started, so if it does hit Miami I guess it's time to give up trying. My biggest fear is another frivolous lawsuit from a neighbor who had tree branches blow from my parent's home, or another set of citations from Team Metro for hurricane debris the week after the storm. Instead of relaxing at home I would have to go to Miami and suffer.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
We're not freaking out at all. Cat 1 is not a big deal, neither is a Cat 2. We just food and all that jazz, but it's not going to be that bad. Channel 7 always makes hurricanes seem like the next huge disaster, so take them with a grain of salt lol.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:00 PM

LOL-CTR. Trust me, nothing compares to Andrew and boy that wasn't fun. However, I find that since then the media blows everything and puts everyone in panic mode. Don't feel bad, they do it up here in CLT too with bad thunderstorms. Although, I did have a tornado pass extremely close to my apt. Good thing I packed cat, computers, and necessary docs and hightailed it (100mph on expressway) to south charlotte
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami