Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 06:03 PM

83 posts, read 326,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitCat20 View Post
I have lived in Miami, Florida for almost three years now. I would definitely recommend Ft. Lauderdale over Miami. I hope I don't offend anyone, but here are the reasons why.

Cost of living is terrible both places, employment opportunities are about the same in both locations (however, you'll see fewer "Spanish speaker preferred/required" in the Ft. Lauderdale job descriptions), and traffic is terrible in both locations. I would say Ft. Lauderdale is more friendly for white people. If you were latin, Miami would definitely be the place to go. Because you're white, you'll face a lot of descrimination in Miami. If you don't speak Spanish, many people will be extremely rude to you and will even refuse to talk to you. Others truly don't speak Spanish and can't talk to you. That includes places of business. Honestly, most white americans feel like they're not even in the US when they're in Miami. The dating scene is probably the same in both locations (I'm married, so I don't really know.) However, if you prefer to date those of your own ethnic background, Ft. Lauderdale is probably a better place for you. Most men you'll meet in Miami will be of latin decent, which may be okay for you. I don't mean any offense, I love ethic diversity, but Miami doesn't feel very diverse. It's pretty much latin. On the up side, that means that Miami has great restaurants and night life. If you want to learn more about the latin culture or if you appreciate the latin culture, Miami is the place to be.

Word of warning, South Florida is extremely expensive. It's hard to do on two incomes, so I can't imagine doing it on one. Visit the area to look at housing before you make the decision. If not, you may end up house poor and not be able afford to go out on dates.
I have read the post again and again, and I do not see where she asked anything about spanish speaking people. She might just understand spanish and maybe she speaks it and writes it too
Descrimination in Miami against whites???....hmmmm
I have not experianced this

It's not the language that will kill you, it's the crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 AM

326 posts, read 1,452,949 times
They are both nice areas to live, unless you hate commuting and traffic and your job ends up being far from where you live. Miami is very lively, the Latino community keeps you awake and alive even when you think you are ready to retire.... But living in Miami can be caothic and it is definitely a socially heated area. Some neighborhoods can be very rough, very poor, somehow dangerous to be in. But this is not a Midwest town: if you move there you know you won't get the rural feel. Fort Lauderdale is a little more balanced, overall more upscale. Life can still be pretty spicy but the social conflicts are a little less extreme. I like FTL better, but I have young children..... As a single person, South Beach would be a real hard one to walk away from. In any case, in both areas, if you have a little to spend on your real esate, you should be able to find a good niche.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 6,505 times
Default just moved from texas...and not sure if i like it here.

My girlfriend and I just moved here from Dallas, TX about 3 weeks ago. She's going to school in Hollywood (which is where we also live-Youngs circle) she's going to court reporting school. I work in the service industry (bartender) I can't believe the traffic..people can't drive down here, they drive like the world is going to end..and this is inner city(i don't dare drive I-95) I've also noticed that there is a huge influx of northerners here, and all they do is talk about "how it is, or how it's done back home" People seem to be very unfriendly, and a little pretensious. Everyone seems to be trying really hard to be "cool", or "hip". I think thats what the problem is..that you have to try to be anything, instead of just being ones self. Where we r from u can wave to someone (even while drive'n) and they will wave back. People say exuse me, and let me help you with that..in other words manners. Nobody seems to have any manners what so ever here. But in defense of the area, I've only been in ft.lauderdale/hollywood/miami areas...please tell me that it willget better!! Please tell me that its just my culture shock still blinding me to the beauty of this state and it's people. Someone please tell me where to go to meet some nice folks!!

Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Welcome to South Florida! Those northeners are most likely snowbirds, they will start leaving in April and will be back in December. And you said people are little pretensious, that was nice of you, since most people here are VERY pretensious. Start looking around how many LV bags are around, tuns...some are fakes of course. I can't tell you it will get any better and you will meet nice people everyday (because it most likely will only get worse, or you will just become numb to it all), as you have started to see the true South Florida. But yes many people here have no manners or common curtousy for others, one of the reasons I want to leave South Florida.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:42 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
it gets ALOT worse. just wait till every person who can afford to get out of here disappears in late summer and youre left with nothing but poor latinos and the number of psychotic drivers increases because all the good drivers and snowbirds who usually dilute the mayhem are gone.
ill take snowbirds over the locals anyday.
and to think, its better up where you are then where im at down in homestead. consider yourself fortunate.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:32 PM

166 posts, read 986,405 times
My mom is a court reporter and makes a lot of money. I think she just has her GED.

I am amazed at the amount a money a person can make in this field. But, I have to warn you that her job comes with a price. She works in Miami and she has told me stories about the most horrific crimes you cannot imagine. You really have to be numb to all of this. I think if I heard of the insane crimes that she had to hear about day in and day out I may or may not enjoy a job like that. However, everybody should do what they like. There are other courts that perhaps deal with Divorce or traffic tickets. She takes the cases I believe, nobody would want to take. Then again she makes incredible money.

As far as where I would want to live...I like Boca Raton or the WPB area. It feels like America! I also believe it's a classier section of S. Florida. If your looking for collegiate Americans that speak fluent English, I would suggest Boca Raton, Florida. They have beautiful apartments near Mizer Park. It's just a different class of people. Now if you go to Miami you see a lot of homes and dwellings that have bars on the windows. I have never seen anybody in Boca with bars on their windows! This must tell you the difference in the type of people you would be living with. If safety is an issue move to Boca.

Ft. Lauderdale would be a second choice. Miami seems to have a problem with a language barrier. I remember my girlfriend telling me that she couldn't find a job in retail because she speaks English. They didn't even want to hire her. There is a huge discrimination issue down there for Americans that can only speak English (which is the official language of the USA.) That's what she told me.

I believe the court systems official language though is English. If a person can only speak Spanish they will need to bring an interpreter (? I think that is how this works, not sure). I know my mother doesn't speak any Spanish period, but the court system is probably one of the few places down there where your not required to speak Spanish.

Andy: I think you may be better off in the Boca/WPB area. The people are friendlier and more respectful. You should give it a try. I am very familiar with the Hollywood area, because I spent part of my childhood there. It used to be a pretty nice place growing up. It's really not that bad, but since your used to Texas, I think you would love WPB better!

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-25-2007 at 06:50 PM..

Old 03-25-2007, 07:15 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
what i cant figure out is the logic behind the fact that everyone here wants to dress or show off how rich they are (even if they aren't) despite the fact it makes them a target for muggers and thieves. i mean how stupid is that?

Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 AM

Here are the statistics to back up everything I am saying:

For population 25 years and over in Miami

High school or higher: 52.7%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.2%
Graduate or professional degree: 7.7%
Unemployed: 11.7%
Mean travel time to work: 28.1 minutes

Notice only 52.7% of the people who live in Miami have finished High School or above! That means out of every 100 men you may want to consider dating there, 47.3 will not have even graduated high school. It may be harder to find an educated person to date. Actually, out of 100 men you may consider dating only 16.2 will have graduated from a university. I don't know if that means anything to you. I have some really great male friends who have not graduated High School (they are some of the sweetest guys I know), but these statics are abnormal for such a huge city!

Races in Miami:

Hispanic (65.8%)
Black (22.3%)
White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
Other race (5.4%)
Two or more races (4.7%)
American Indian (0.5%)

Only 11.4% individuals are of White ethnicity. That's cool. I love other races as well, but a little more ethnic diversity is something that really means a lot to me.

Median household income in 2005: $25,211
2005 median house value: $248,500
Median gross rent in 2005: $686
Percentage of residents living in poverty in 2005: 28.3%

This statics are horrible. Imagine 28.3% of the people there are living in poverty. That is just way too high. As far as the rent goes...there is more low income housing in Miami that is subsidized by the government. I wouldn't live there if you paid me! Seriously! Imagine the average household salary in Miami is about $25K? It may be slightly higher since these stats are from 2005 but that is terrible. Actually, it's insane. I went to check out the job market last year, and I remember finding an ad that a bank put on the internet, (they were looking for a teller). It went something like this:

4 year degree required, Must be bi-lingual. $10.00 an hr. That's why the salaries are that stinkin low. Sick huh?

Look at the unemployment rate...over 11.7% is that sick or what???

Now here is the saddest thing you will find if your a single, white female...if your looking for a man (and all of my girlfriends are...just imagine how happy they are when they check out this stat:

Most common occupations for males in 2005 (Miami):
Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
Construction laborers (6%)
Carpenters (6%)
Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)

Most common occupation in Miami for a male is a janitor, housekeeper, sanitation, truck drivers, carpenters, construction laborers...humm...I have some really great friends who do these type of jobs but I can't even find any type of professional work listed. Which is really odd??? Just trying to explain what you should expect if you move to Miami.

Miami compared to Florida state average:

Median household income below state average.
Unemployed percentage above state average.
Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
Median age above state average.
Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
Renting percentage above state average.
Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
Population density above state average for cities.

Now here are a few stats for Ft. Lauderdale and Boca:

For population 25 years and over in Fort Lauderdale

High school or higher: 79.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 27.9%
Graduate or professional degree: 10.4%
Unemployed: 6.3%
Mean travel time to work: 24.0 minutes

For population 25 years and over in Boca Raton

High school or higher: 92.0%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 44.2%
Graduate or professional degree: 17.1%
Unemployed: 5.8%
Mean travel time to work: 20.7 minutes

Notice the minute you move to Broward or Palm Beach County you find that most people, at least, Graduated High School.

Many more professional jobs listed as common male professions in Broward and Boca, as well. You can check the stats here at City-Data.com, but I would highly advise against Miami. It's a shame it's that way. I wish the government would step in and help educated more of the population down there. Every body should at least have a High School education! And for those that went to college I would consider $10 an hr. an insult! Somebody should do something. It's so backwards to find only half the population even graduate high school in Miami.

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-26-2007 at 09:32 AM..

Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 AM

98 posts, read 531,689 times
Quote:
Must be bi-lingual.
What that really means in Miami is that you must speak Spanish fluently, and be able to mumble a few badly spoken English words to appease the minority of people who only speak English.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MananaLand View Post
What that really means in Miami is that you must speak Spanish fluently, and be able to mumble a few badly spoken English words to appease the minority of people who only speak English.
Oh, that is so funny, yet so true. I remember calling my old health insurance company down there. I mean I couldn't hardly understand anything they were saying. Now, it's very important that you are able to communicate with those individuals at the company that handles your health insurance. After a repeated number of times of finding anybody to help me on the other end...I finally gave up and cancelled it. I thought the communication at that company was not satisfactory. They seemed like lovely individuals, but I just couldn't understand what they were saying!

Oh and I remember the time at the Pembroke Pines Hospital. It was the only time I ever needed stitches. Guess who I had stitching me up? A surgeon that couldn't understand English. I tried I dunno how many times to explain to him that I wanted to still be able to wear earrings. (I had split my ear lobe in half.) He just didn't understand. Sure enough, after my ear healed, I was unable to wear earring. I had to find an English speaking plastic surgeon. I paid him $400 to split my ear lobe in half again, re stitch it, and I have been wearing earrings ever since! Now, it's really important that any body in the medical profession and those in the health related fields speak ENGLISH! Problem is, not everybody does... Welcome to South Florida!

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-26-2007 at 10:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami