Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 PM

95 posts, read 452,528 times

Advertisements

So we have been looking for houses in Coral Gables on the internet (we currently live in South America), and our plan is to visit the City Beautiful in June 2009 to look for houses in person.

One thing we are worried about is that most houses for sale there are really really old (as most houses in CG ARE old) and we would be fine with that, except for the hurricanes...

As we have read that it's safer (and insurance is much cheaper too) to get a 1993 and later post-Andrew-new-construction-code house, what do you say about all those gorgeous old, some historic, 1 million dollar and up houses in CG?

Should we stick to the newer ones, even though they are like 5% of the houses for sale and then our search options will be really reduced?

Are the new ones much safer, and the insurance much cheaper, as people say?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 01:45 AM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
It's not so much the age of the house as to whether the house is "up to code".

The main concern is the roof, then whether the windows have hurricane shutters or are impact-resistant, and the house has hurricane-proof doors and garage doors.

Most realtors in Miami are sloppy with their MLS listings, a lot of information is missing. For each house, you must find out to what extent it is "up to code".

Good luck finding conscientious realtors on both sides of the transaction. Do your own research to the extent possible, including, but not limited to, official state of Florida and city of Coral Gables laws, guidelines, and programs; it helps if you know a conscientious insurance agent to explain the details.

Last edited by bale002; 09-01-2008 at 01:53 AM..

Old 09-01-2008, 08:16 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
Like bale002 said, you really will not know until you get to the inspection process and then still (make sure you get someone you trust to do the inspection, my in-laws had an inspection on a home they built that the inspector left out like 100k+ worth of work, so get someone that is a trust worthy inspector, hard to find in South Florida I know.) you need to very careful.

I would still consider those homes, but know that the homes in the Gables really haven't been through a Cat 3 storm in over 30 years at least if not longer as they were not really hit by Hurricane Andrew in 1992.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,048,150 times
Yes, older homes are just fine. In fact, many people say that older homes duing certain periods (I believe the 60's) are better built than the newer homes. My parents live in an older home and it is south of Kendall and made it through Hurricane Andrew just fine. Anything south of Kendall was considered "ground zero" when Andrew hit.

As long as the home meets code, it will be fine with insurance. That usually means adding some hurricane straps to the trusses of the roof down to the walls and some bracing of the garage doors. There really isn't that much to do when it comes to making an older home "up to code". Whatever you do, make sure to stay away from wood frame homes !

Take care

Old 09-01-2008, 04:25 PM

You Guys are the BEST!! This forum ROCKS!!

Thank you very much for the great info!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Hopefully you will negotiate down the prices. We do not need another out-of-towner driving prices and taxes up more than they are. You do realize that the yearly Government rent on a 1 Million dollar shack is 20,000.00 right?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:37 AM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
Bom Dia -- you really are thorough aren't you?

Many of the houses in the Gables were built in the 50s, including mine.
Some older, some newer. (For example, my mother-in-law lives in a 1928 old Spanish.)

By and large they are built great, really solid. We just finished having our house (built in 1956) completely remodeled and the concrete and roofing trusses were in great shape.
(Remember too that most of CGables is in the 5-15' above sea level too so we'll be one of the last to flood.)

I'd still recommend that you buy the cheapest, oldest, least remodeled house possible and do some work yourself.
Depending on when (and if) your house was remodeled, you will almost certainly need to update the kitchen, windows and doors, flooring, bathroom fixtures and probably roof anyway, you might as well not be paying for someone else's remodel.

And as Tallrick pointed out, the cheaper you buy, the less your property taxes will be.

I can't compare insurance rates spcifically, but the codes today are as tough as they have ever been. I believe even tougher than in the 90s, (maybe someone else knows for sure).
Our insurance is about $4500/year.
We have hurricane glass windows (no shutters) everywhere and because our driveway is 12' above sea level, feel VERY safe in a regular ol' Cat 3.

Good luck.

Last edited by planetsurf; 09-02-2008 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Hopefully you will negotiate down the prices. We do not need another out-of-towner driving prices and taxes up more than they are. You do realize that the yearly Government rent on a 1 Million dollar shack is 20,000.00 right?
Yes, of course our goal is to negotiate down... and of course we are aware of the high property taxes. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
Bom Dia -- you really are thorough aren't you?
Bom dia, Planetsurf!
Yes, I am! And I take it as a compliment... thanks!

Quote:
By and large they are built great, really solid. We just finished having our house (built in 1956) completely remodeled and the concrete and roofing trusses were in great shape.
(Remember too that most of CGables is in the 5-15' above sea level too so we'll be one of the last to flood.)
Wow, these are great news, thanks!
Now, I've read that some parts of CG are flood zones, right? The city's official website has a flood zone map, but I can't figure it out... I am really bad reading maps...

Quote:
I'd still recommend that you buy the cheapest, oldest, least remodeled house possible and do some work yourself.
Depending on when (and if) your house was remodeled, you will almost certainly need to update the kitchen, windows and doors, flooring, bathroom fixtures and probably roof anyway, you might as well not be paying for someone else's remodel.
And as Tallrick pointed out, the cheaper you buy, the less your property taxes will be.
I know, and it sounds like a good idea to buy old and fix, but the problem is we have a toddler and are planning on having another baby. If we get a house that needs a lot of remodeling that means we will have to rent while the house is being fixed, (which means moving twice with 2 little kids) and also I am not sure I will have the energy to take care of my kids and go through a big remodeling process at the same time... But thanks for the suggestion, I will definitley think about it!! My FIL is a great architect and designer, and Argentinean so he speaks Spanish, maybe he will be willing to travel from here there for a couple of months and help us out with the remodeling.

Quote:
We have hurricane glass windows (no shutters) everywhere and because our driveway is 12' above sea level, feel VERY safe in a regular ol' Cat 3.Good luck.
That's GREAT, good for you! And you are near the UM, right? Great area! Why don't you have shutters? Just curious, I am trying to learn as much as I can, as you can tell. THANKS AGAIN!!! You are always very helpful!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:40 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
Now, I've read that some parts of CG are flood zones, right? The city's official website has a flood zone map, but I can't figure it out... I am really bad reading maps...
YES. The closer to the bay, the more prone to flooding. If we had a strong direct hit on CGables, those giant houses in CocoPlum and Tahiti Beach will be hit hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
And you are near the UM, right? Great area! Why don't you have shutters? Just curious, I am trying to learn as much as I can, as you can tell. THANKS AGAIN!!! You are always very helpful!
We love the little area we're in. Nicer homes - in between the giants on the main streets and/or canals and the smaller houses in North Gables- plus we can walk to UM just to stroll with the kids or to hit a movie at Cosford.

We have ALL new doors (2 french doors in back, front door and garage
door) plus new PGT windows rated to ~150mph. We DO need (and probably will get) shutters in addition to those at some point, we just haven't gotten around to it. Plus we really wanted to make sure we didn't lose any insurance savings -- so we have some homework to do before we purchase.
We feel pretty safe though. I'm much more worried about the big oak in our neighbors yard taking out our porch.

As always, boa sorte!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami