Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 7,474 times

Advertisements

For early retiree (from NYC), what would be some good places to live in South Florida without a car? Would like to live in a newer, upscale condo, on the ocean. Walking distance to supermarket, necessities. Nice area to walk around in. Not too loud at night. Safe. Nothing with an overtly Russian feel. Any other advice for such a move? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
I suppose you could limit yourself to south beach or a select area of Coral Gables, but why do that. You will not be able to find work near where you want to live, in most cases so a car is mandatory. This is not NYC, by any means.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
It will be very isolating to live anywhere in SF without a car. If you are an early retiree I assume you will want to take advantage of all SF has to offer. Since the region is not organized around one city center, with mass transit connecting it to the suburbs, life is pretty isolating without a car.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:31 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,898,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcs View Post
Nothing with an overtly Russian feel.
Great way to subtly eliminate Sunny Isles Beach, which is pretty much your sole option otherwise. You could try Galt Ocean Mile in Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:36 AM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,114 times
pembroke pines I lived there without a car and got around easily

Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 AM

763 posts, read 3,532,492 times
I would recommend Downtown Miami, even though it's not necessarily on the ocean but on the bay, but it's definitely very nice and very NYC-esque. To go to the beach, you can take the bus, it's about a 5 minute bus drive (S-Bus). Other pedestrian friendly areas would be the area in Coral Gables around Miracle Mile or anywhere in Miami Beach, both of which are also very pedestrian friendly.

And yes, Sunny Isles Beach is very Russian, but a little more car-oriented.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:47 PM

984 posts, read 4,316,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcs View Post
For early retiree (from NYC), what would be some good places to live in South Florida without a car? Would like to live in a newer, upscale condo, on the ocean. Walking distance to supermarket, necessities. Nice area to walk around in. Not too loud at night. Safe. Nothing with an overtly Russian feel. Any other advice for such a move? Thanks.
Try Downtown Miami / Brickell, probably is the best area with you don't have a car, and is relatively close to the beach. The public transportation is good ( you have the Metrorail, the Metromover ( free to ride ) and the Metrobus ) and you're close to everything in that area.

I would suggest Dadeland and Coral Gables ( Miracle Mile area ), all safe, with OK public transportation and within walking distance to supermarkets and stores/malls; but these two are more distant from the beach. Another good area is Miami Beach ( especially in South Beach and Mid-Beach ( around 41st Street ), it's safe, have OK public transportation and you can walk to supermarkets and stores/malls too.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,033 times
I second the Galt Ocean Mile suggestion. There's a Winn-Dixie (at least there was the last time I was there), lots of restaurants you can walk to, and some shops. Also Lauderdale-by-the-Sea might fit the bill. I'd check all along that area first. These are in Broward. This would be my first choice. Great ocean view, lots of walkability, very quiet & safe.

In Dade, maybe just north of 41st Street on Miami Beach. There are lots of condos there, not necessarily new, but there's always some construction going on so you might find something. I don't know about the markets & shops there, though. Stay away from South Beach - loud at night.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,050,573 times
get a Vespa and live free on SoBe !

Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 PM

50 posts, read 304,657 times
There was site listed in today's NYTIMES called Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods. where you can enter an address and it rates the neighborhood for walking.

I tried it with mine and it was fairly accurate 50 out of a 100 but it missed some big things, like think the Byron Carlyle is still a movie theatre but it might be a good place to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami