U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:48 PM

1,770 posts, read 5,561,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I also saw Deerfield Beach and Boynton Beach on the list, but that is probably skewed due to the amount of retirees in those cities.
http://www.city-data.com/top2/h194.html
It's not like all of the blacks are poor in those areas. Just go to middle city Boynton Beach and you will find nice looking suburban communities that are majority black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 19,983,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
It's not like all of the blacks are poor in those areas. Just go to middle city Boynton Beach and you will find nice looking suburban communities that are majority black.
It's still pretty skewed though. There are a lot of disparities on both ends.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times
Ive lived in andover for 25 years. It is a nice place but like any major city we see crime as well. Miami Gardens has pockets of well kept home and also places that are more crime ridden. My advice is to drive past the area in questions. Most neighborhoods off 441 from NW 215 to about 189 are quite nice and the home owners take pride in their properties. It is a predominantly black area but that does not make is bad.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM

6,410 posts, read 2,694,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
West Miami Gardens is nice....talking about when you get off onto Miami Gardens Drive from I-75. East Miami-Gardens is junk...except for Tootsies of course. =)
'

I don't think the area around I-75 and Miami Gardens is part of the city of Miami Gardens.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,460,914 times
Miami Gardens ends at NW 57 Ave. further west is still unincorporated dade county.

miami gardens is a great place to raise a family. I did and now my kids are.

Moderator cut: Off Topic

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-06-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 AM

58 posts, read 67,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I have never been there, but I do not believe that the whole city is horrible. Every city has a good and bad side; a city may have more bad than good areas (which sounds like Miami Gardens), but there is still some good.

I am also defensive because Miami Gardens' population is predominantly black, and on many city forums on city-data, I have seen that people have over exaggerated when it came to giving information about areas with a minority majority. I live in Atlanta, and have read many posts that have made certain minority areas in Atlanta seem like hell on earth, and its not even like that. I'm not saying your information is wrong, but it may be exaggerated.

You said the whole area was horrible, but other posters have said otherwise. What do you think about the areas they have mentioned (West Miami Gardens and Andover)?

Yes a lot of posters on this forum always over exaggerate when it comes to describing predominantly minority areas.......

Old 07-05-2010, 09:44 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,662,648 times
^^^Every member has a different perspective. I know someone that thinks Naranja is a nice area, and nothing is wrong with it, when many people believe just the opposite that its a horrible area to live. So it just depends on the individual.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:54 AM

5 posts, read 5,514 times
run run run not a good place I was fortunate to live ther in the days of bobs barricade scams and z tag scams and multiple shoot outs and lived to tell the war stories. move miami lakes or broward county

Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM

2,228 posts, read 2,444,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I just replied to another thread about Richmond Heights and I think I should say similar here: there are some middle class black areas in Miami-Dade. Not many, but some. Richmond Heights is one of them. It's the lower-middle to middle class black area between the Turnpike and US1 bounded by SW 152nd Street to the South and the canal separating it from the affluent Falls neighborhood to the north. Central Cutler Ridge also has a substantial middle class black population.

With that said, there is a distinct economic gap in general between the black and non-black population in most of Miami Dade County. Even in Richmond Heights - which as I mentioned above - you are in a 80% black (mix of African-American and Jamaican, mostly) neighborhood of $300,000 homes but as soon as you cross the bridge to the Falls are you are in a 90% white (Jewish, Cuban, Italian, Anglo-American) neighborhood of $500,000-$1,000,000 homes. It's pretty drastic. Take a Google Maps "Street View" tour of the neighborhoods to see what I mean.

-----

Yes, I remember Richmond Heights (I lived nearby) as the only middle to high middle class black neighborhood in Miami some 30 years ago. It was the only black neighbourhood that people were not scared s.h.i.t.l.e.s.s when they drove around (there were constant riots back then).

There was another black neighbourhood with a good rep, I'm referring to the blacks living in Hialeah. They never participated in any riots.

Of course, there are blacks in the most expensive neighbourhoods of Miami such as Gables, Old Cutler and Cocoplum, not many but there are.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 PM

22 posts, read 21,042 times
Hi I am planning to move to Miami Gardens or preferably a neighboring city. I will attend Florida Memorial College in the Spring 2010 and I only make around $ 10 an hour I would like to know advice for cheap apartments thats not in so bad areas and hopefully if not in Miami Garden than a surrounding city really really close so if you moved there already can you give me some advice ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami