Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
Man, you guys just made my husband and I change our minds about buying a SFH in Coral Gables! Now we are scared!

We are thinking about a condo or townhouse in the Gables instead... might feel much safer!
You are afraid to move to Coral Gables because of crime? haha, Don't take so many of what you hear on to heart. Go to gables, drive around at night and you'll see women outside walking their dogs alone and people out running. Miami isn't the 3rd world, non-english speaking, rude warzone people on here like to think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
You are afraid to move to Coral Gables because of crime? haha, Don't take so many of what you hear on to heart. Go to gables, drive around at night and you'll see women outside walking their dogs alone and people out running. Miami isn't the 3rd world, non-english speaking, rude warzone people on here like to think it is.
Maybe we should start hitting up the Gables more!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:54 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Maybe we should start hitting up the Gables more!
You know I was thinking the same thing, Grove Isle is really starting to crack down.. But don't worry, the reason I'm driving around there is I'm already planning escape routes and targets.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:54 PM

95 posts, read 452,732 times
Default I know...

Quote:
... But still, I think we will feel much safer in a condo or townhouse, even in Coral Gables. Thanks for your input!

Old 09-21-2008, 05:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
... But still, I think we will feel much safer in a condo or townhouse, even in Coral Gables.
Make sure to do your homework on the condo building you will be in. As many are having issues with vagrants moving into unoccupied condos, and some associations are having issues with people not paying their condo fees, which leads to bigger issues. Just do your homework.

Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 PM

95 posts, read 452,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Make sure to do your homework on the condo building you will be in. As many are having issues with vagrants moving into unoccupied condos, and some associations are having issues with people not paying their condo fees, which leads to bigger issues. Just do your homework.
I've heard of these issues in Downtown and Brickel... but in Coral Gables? Do you say these condo problems are also taking place there?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:56 PM

655 posts, read 2,183,355 times
So long as you're not an idiot, you'll be fine. This applies to any city, not just Miami.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:58 AM

2 posts, read 8,003 times
Im not really worried about the safety issue. I am aware that there is going to be a lot of crime in any big city, its just that everyone is making it out to be a lot worse than it probably is. I just need to know some basic facts, like what to expect.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Miami isn't the 3rd world, non-english speaking, rude warzone people on here like to think it is.
Yeah, actually Miami is all of that. It's just that Coral Gables is not Miami. Different City.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:59 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Bentley View Post
Im not really worried about the safety issue. I am aware that there is going to be a lot of crime in any big city, its just that everyone is making it out to be a lot worse than it probably is. I just need to know some basic facts, like what to expect.
I think you've got plenty of facts already (the crime index being 1/3 less in Coral Gables than Beverly Hills is a FACT). Compare crime statistics to the area you're from too.

I think you've gotten a good range of opinions too. From what I read here, I think it would sum up most peoples opinion that crime in Miami is pretty normal or slightly higher for a bigger city in the US.
Some places you need to watch your back all the time, some you really shouldn't go into at all, most are basically ok with some minor issues that you should stay aware of, some are great with VERY little crime.

It's all perspective:
When you're Anglo and your ripped off by another Anglo, it's THEIR fault; that individual is a bad person.
When you're Anglo and your ripped off by a black, it's their cultures fault, the "African-American community needs to do more."
When you're Anglo and your ripped off by a Hispanic, it's a "Turd World Country."

I think that attitude colors lots of individual POVs about Miami.
JMHO of course.

Last edited by planetsurf; 09-22-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami