Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 02:05 PM

32 posts, read 157,740 times

Advertisements

I'm a 23 y/o single mom to a 6 y/o boy and I'm planning on moving to Miami, FL(or anywhere surronding it)...I don't have much experience in anything besides call center/customer service and now I currently work as a mental health worker in my town, I'm trying to do something like that when I get down there I don't hold any college degrees, just certification as a Medication Aide...my problem is I'll be moving down there by myself, no friends or family, need to know what is an "okay" area to move in with kids that may be near nursing homes, assisted living facilities and mental health centers or psych hospitals? Or even call centers... Looking for anything cheap but decent, close to shopping areas...I'll also be moving with no car, so anywhere near public transpo is grand...Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 02:18 PM

710 posts, read 2,226,641 times
"Single Mom, 23, is Miami the place to be???"

Sorry, no, not really -- see this post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ing-miami.html

I think it sums up the views you will get here.

I think Miami is a great, interesting and unique city, but I would NEVER recommend it to someone in your shoes.

Think about WPB area for the medical field. You WILL need a car, but I imagine (I don't know) there are lots of jobs in your field there. I know it's become the new retirement area.

Good luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:58 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,390,972 times
I agree with planetsurf. It doesn't seem like a good fit based on your needs. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:25 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,019,984 times
South Florida has the highest rate of inflation than ANY OTHER PLACE IN THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES. This is a FACT. Best not to come here. Trust us.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:37 PM

350 posts, read 1,516,546 times
I sure would not want to be a 23-year-old single mom in Miami. Not a good place to be in that situation. I would look elsewhere.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:59 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,325,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymediva21 View Post
I'm a 23 y/o single mom to a 6 y/o boy and I'm planning on moving to Miami, FL(or anywhere surronding it)...I don't have much experience in anything besides call center/customer service and now I currently work as a mental health worker in my town, I'm trying to do something like that when I get down there I don't hold any college degrees, just certification as a Medication Aide...my problem is I'll be moving down there by myself, no friends or family, need to know what is an "okay" area to move in with kids that may be near nursing homes, assisted living facilities and mental health centers or psych hospitals? Or even call centers... Looking for anything cheap but decent, close to shopping areas...I'll also be moving with no car, so anywhere near public transpo is grand...Thanks in advance

You might like it .

I agree with above posts S.Florida is not cheap but there are jobs.

My grandmother has a woman who isn't a nurse but goes from home to home for an hour or so and takes blood pressure pretty much hangs out for the hour and does well. That might be something you might want to look into.
There are jobs in field your looking for but yes without knowing someone it is tough that can be said about any place.
There has recently been cut backs but again that can be said about any place. I think for kid's it's a good place great weather,out door stuff.

I myself don't like it but that's because of the politician's and way it is "set up" however I think for kids it's a good place .

Old 09-19-2008, 08:06 AM

294 posts, read 1,145,546 times
I usually recommend Miami to most people who want to move here, but you will be miserable here with one source of income, no car and a child to care for. Unless you expect to make more than $60,000, I think you would be better off looking at other options.

I've lived in over a dozen metropolitain areas in my life, and Miami's public transportation is by far the worst I've ever seen.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:43 AM

17 posts, read 59,123 times
Default I don't recommend Miami for a single parent

I strongly suggest you look somewhere else. Miami is definitely not the place for a single mom. I am a single mother of two and I have been unemployed for six months. I have searched for jobs in all fields and I haven't found anything. Besides that fact that I have been living in Miami for twelve years, owned a car and have a college degree. Do your researches before you move so you won't regret it!

Old 09-19-2008, 10:33 AM

560 posts, read 1,545,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominican Star View Post
..I have searched for jobs in all fields and I haven't found anything.
You mean to tell me that there are no jobs one can do TEMPORARILY (such as hotel, restaurant, retail jobs paying even $8.00/hr) in Miami while looking for a better employment? If that's the case, it concerns me! Miami's tourism industry is huge and I tought fiding temp employment in that field would be no problem.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,508,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
You mean to tell me that there are no jobs one can do TEMPORARILY (such as hotel, restaurant, retail jobs paying even $8.00/hr) in Miami while looking for a better employment? If that's the case, it concerns me! Miami's tourism industry is huge and I tought fiding temp employment in that field would be no problem.
Hey, why don't you come and try for yourself. Thats the best way to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami