U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:13 PM

19 posts, read 27,998 times
I95 in So Fl was just rated the most dangerous highway in the country. That should say it all. The express lanes are probably more of a distraction than helping traffic move faster. Most of it is divided from the rest of the roadway with these flimsy, dangerouly close plastic bollard type things. The traffic on one side is not moving any faster than on the other. Just more of it.

The problem with I 95 in So Fl is not the volume of traffic, as they will let you believe, and suggesting it should be wider. I travel it all the time. Im from up north and the volume of traffic is not whats dangerous but the fact that everyone is going at incredibly different speeds. Not just too fast, but some too slow. There are no markings saying slower traffic keep right. What happens is a lot of weaving. From far right across 6 lanes to in some cases to far left. There will be someone driving 55 in the far left lane and someone going 90 in the far right. Drivers are shifting lanes over and over. There is no pattern. Its chaotic.
They are saying it needs to be wider. Anyone who has ever driven the SchuylkillExpwy in Philly, any freeways outside of NYC or any major city in the NE know volume. They expect to come to a complete stop at some point. In So Fl, you do not come to a stop generally, it is just bumper to bumper moving at 75. I was actually surprised when I moved down here at how little congestion there is, just a strong mix of different styles of driving. It is a dangerous mix that adding more lanes will only exacerbate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 12:17 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,697,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbaniDesDev View Post
I95 in So Fl was just rated the most dangerous highway in the country. That should say it all. The express lanes are probably more of a distraction than helping traffic move faster. Most of it is divided from the rest of the roadway with these flimsy, dangerouly close plastic bollard type things. The traffic on one side is not moving any faster than on the other. Just more of it.

The problem with I 95 in So Fl is not the volume of traffic, as they will let you believe, and suggesting it should be wider. I travel it all the time. Im from up north and the volume of traffic is not whats dangerous but the fact that everyone is going at incredibly different speeds. Not just too fast, but some too slow. There are no markings saying slower traffic keep right. What happens is a lot of weaving. From far right across 6 lanes to in some cases to far left. There will be someone driving 55 in the far left lane and someone going 90 in the far right. Drivers are shifting lanes over and over. There is no pattern. Its chaotic.
They are saying it needs to be wider. Anyone who has ever driven the SchuylkillExpwy in Philly, any freeways outside of NYC or any major city in the NE know volume. They expect to come to a complete stop at some point. In So Fl, you do not come to a stop generally, it is just bumper to bumper moving at 75. I was actually surprised when I moved down here at how little congestion there is, just a strong mix of different styles of driving. It is a dangerous mix that adding more lanes will only exacerbate.

As anybody who drives the stretch of the express lanes during peak rush hour knows, this driver is not amoung us. Maybe duriung off hours you'll see the craziness described above. Still, I'll agree the rush hour congestion on Miami's stretch of I-95 is less than other major cities, DC, LA, Chicago, NYC, ect.

As far as the original question, I think the express lanes usually do work, but the time differential between express and mainline is rarely more than 10 minutes. For me that's worth it if the toll is under $2 (which it rarely is) or if I'm already late. I think the express lanes worked the best during the week that they were free. I bet if you lifted the tolls you would see immediate improvement in the mainline with the only effect in the express lanes being that you couldn't go 75-80 anymore (speed limit is still 55 in the express lanes, people...).

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 3,404 times
Today there where 4 people killed....due to the express lanes....Yes it was an accident yes....there will be an investigation...but honestly when will the bloodshed stop....at the cost of 50 cents per car OR $2.00 ......I hope some one sues the **** out of the Great State of Florida ..Or some one please pay attention..and look at this mess...Some one that has the power to Change this and reads this post should do something honestly

YES some one should be held responsible from the drivers that drive like *******s to the state ....Because ..These four people that died..a sensless death they where checking on the wellfare of the other drivers after the initial crash...The same thing mom and dad taught us to look out for each..other take care of one another.. AND THEY DIED..Because theres no area for you to change a flat tire ..or to be safe after a crash...Why not if we are so freaking MONEY HUNGRY AS A STATE ..HELLO MR> GOVERNOR Hi RICKY ... LOOK HERE BRother MAKE MONEY THIS WAY because lets face it its ALL about money its always about the money..people be realistic... Make the entire thing a toll screw us all one time ..the state makes more money .AT ONE SHOT ! EVERY ONE PAYS AND WE END THIS EXPRESS LANE CHAOS AND MULTIPLE CAR PILE UPS .and we wont have this mess on the LEXUS LANES ..AS WE CALL THEM.. And for the guy how wrote on the reply ..above dude if your running late why is that any ones problem but yours ..You ever heard of time management or wake up earlier..or .buy a watch ..I will buy you one...lol .Honestly its allways some else's FAULT I BLAME THE A$$HOLES WHO CREATED THE MESS CALLED THE EXPRESS LANES ..THAT DRIVERS WIPE OUT AND KILL ONE ANOTHER... SO FREAKING SAD OVER $$$$ PLEASE SOME ONE DO SOMETHING THIS IS NOT MORALLY RIGHT .... THAT THE STATE ..THE COUNTY OR City wont Step up..and BAt..

Old 03-05-2011, 06:30 PM

2,038 posts, read 1,697,776 times
Express lanes or no, you're asking for nothing but trouble, getting out of your car in the middle of a freeway...

Old 03-05-2011, 06:53 PM

933 posts, read 446,511 times
The express lanes were a big mistake, made to generate $$, with no regard for safety. I hated the fact that they'd narrowed the lanes too. I-95 became far more of a death trap after the express lanes were built, plus Miami drivers are the worst of the worst.

You guys need more troopers out there, regardless of cost.

Old 03-20-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Express lanes or no, you're asking for nothing but trouble, getting out of your car in the middle of a freeway...
Sure the troopers will come to you what do think ...its a drive in movie theater,,a sonics drive in? Did you actually read the story ??they walked to see the other people where ok to see if they needed medical attention . If every one was ok ... they weren't. Jogging or out on a stroll ...you numb nut...we all need to use better judgm,ent when we are in theese lanes and realise also that it doesnot mean go 80 like Mario Andretti...with no regard for human life...hit that wall at 30 see how fast. You flip on to the other lanes that have the great superior barriers that's only plastic little orange poles..lol and see how many cars will end up in a multiple car pile up...now let's forget about you the guy next to me his kids his wife ...and let's do 70/80 because that's what we do we are Miamins we live in the. Craziest city in the world , where no body cares when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle and all we care is about oh crap me m,e mem me me ...because I'm irresponsinble and can't manage my time...and don't care about any one but me..that's what's happing with these hot lanes and in miami period ...and for the record they are still for high occupency lanes ..drive. up north. People are nicer more considerate more proffessional and courteus ..bottom line even though we are all stress out we don't need to let loose and kill each other with a 3000 pound moving missele ...driving is a privegle its written on our state issued drivers license ...

Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
The express lanes were a big mistake, made to generate $$, with no regard for safety. I hated the fact that they'd narrowed the lanes too. I-95 became far more of a death trap after the express lanes were built, plus Miami drivers are the worst of the worst.

I agree Ricky needs to employ more man and women in brown and let them handle bussines like they did a few years ago with the under cover Marounos I remember a silver one and a maroon one on the I95 like it was yesterday..dam they use to make it rain..lol..
Make the state $$ and keep me and my friends safe...Now with the money we are saving with the turnpike toll employees ...let's see where that money goes...they could employ more troopers ...And DOT = tickets = $$ = SAFER Highways..because the streets are not getting any safer ..to many crazy drivers out there's. Half of them no insurance ,,half of them no papers...sorry if I've insulted any one the truth is out there enough of being politcally correct...I an American Citizen born of cuban parents...we all have come from some where ..I am proud that I have a large mixed family but if you don't have a license you don't have insurance ..mi brother eres un come mierda..you need to be locked up..simple ...enough is enough..we need our man and women in uniform to be able to do their jobs safe and with out all this redtape..I would never get offended if they asked me you got license insurance you speeky english you got papers...ENOUGH !! RICK GET WITH THE PROGRAM !! THEY CAN RIDE THE TRAIN ..Oh wait you screwed us on that ..lol

Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post

not only are they the worst ..they are selfish and think they are in there third world country..HAVE OF US YES US!!! GET OF A PLANE OR BOAT AND GET TO DRIVE WITH AN INTERNATIONAL LICENSE WRONG!!! First LEARN BASIC ENGLISH LEARN that a Yield sign means you yield to the other vehicles... My dad use to yell out the window..no kidding..Thinking it meant to yell.. HELLO PEOPLE...This a joke...but you get ? A red SHinny Hectagon means STOP ...Dam people ..ah ..my favorite. When a traffic Signal that's a light people ..goes out no electricity ...IT becames a four way stop sign ..NOt I'm Bigger and I'm going first because that car behind you just might be and undercover ...I saw one a while back no **** Toyota Camry chicago plates with a baby seat ...dam guy was a n under cover gave that idiot that blew through the intersection a citation..for aggressive driving..another timer a mini van five of them jump out you never know people...

Old 03-21-2011, 12:01 AM

8,368 posts, read 16,056,277 times
Troopers do not make the road more safe, they just extract more money from the public. The real solution is to increase speeds to increase road capacity. Unfortunately the average driver is too distracted, drugged or lost to do that. The police are some of the worst drivers, speeding and driving recklessly because they can with impunity. So what to do? Public transportation does not work due to the large area of south Florida development. Personally I would rather drive I-75 than I-95. There should be a special "tourist/waiting for God" lane for sightseers and geriatric drivers who insist on going no faster than 40 miles per hour. Now all that is needed is an automatic eject lane for slow drivers and speeders and all will be fixed. LOL!

Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 AM

3,312 posts, read 2,090,200 times
When you see the yellow stobs missing on the road, then you will know the express lanes did not work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPsFX...9022FAB8E986F1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami