Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 02:11 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Speaking of crime....... I was the victim of a purse-snatch in The City Beautiful, low-crime Coral Gables, downtown - uncrowded area, on a very quiet Sunday morning - about 15 years ago - I repeat....... a low-crime city and safe area! The probability of that happening to me, at that place, at that time was LOW, but it happened!

I still consider CORAL GABLES one of the best, safest communities in all of Miami-Dade County!
Most people can't afford to live in the Gables, so it isn't really a reflection of true life/crime in Miami.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:34 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Talking I don't agree..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Most people can't afford to live in the Gables, so it isn't really a reflection of true life/crime in Miami.
Not all of Coral Gables is unaffordable. I lived over 30 years in the north end, a couple of blocks away from Miracle Mile. The older homes (mine was 75 years old) are more modest. There are many apartment buildings in the north end. I raised my children as a single working mom in Coral Gables !!

Yes, people CAN afford to live in Coral Gables if they live within or below their means and are not foolish with other spending!

Although, I do agree with your last statement...... the crime rate in The Gables has always been lower than the rest of the County IMHO as a direct result of their EXCELLENT Police Department

Old 01-10-2009, 04:40 PM

183 posts, read 567,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
All else being equal, like your behavior, who you associate with, who you happen to run into, etc., you are more likely to be a crime victim in places where the crime rate is higher. If you leave your car unlocked in a town Wyoming, chances are that you will never have a problem. If you leave your car unlocked in Miami, chances are that you will be cleaned out.

If you never go out of your house, you are probably pretty safe in either place, plus or minus the occasional home invasion in Miami.
" occasional home invasion in Miami"??? Burglary in Miami was 4442 in 2006.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjam View Post
" occasional home invasion in Miami"??? Burglary in Miami was 4442 in 2006.
A home invasion is breaking and entering an occupied home.

Home invasion is to burglary as carjacking is to car theft.

Okay, enough literalistic pedantry. I was being ironic -- or at least, trying.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM

197 posts, read 668,607 times
best: Brickell, Coral Gables, South Miami, Doral, The Roads, Key Biscayne, Aventura; among others.
bad: NW of downtown, Hialeah, west of Biscayne Blvd, Florida City, Goulds, parts of Coconut Grove.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:36 AM

809 posts, read 2,316,144 times
Yes you are right. What a horrible mistake, especially considering I WORK in Opa Locka.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:28 AM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,205 times
Default Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Most white, non-Hispanic transplants settle in Broward - it's more like America up there. The next best thing would be the Miami Lakes area, which is in the extreme NW corner of Dade. The Aventura area is nice, if you like condos everywhere.

The rest of Dade is pretty much like living in a foreign country without leaving the borders of the US. I've lived in Dade all my life, so I've adjusted. Those coming from other areas often experience severe culture shock.

Actually, living downtown now has some advantages. I understand that Mary Brickell Village is "the place" for downtown night life and living! I still like the uniqueness of Miami!! Seems impossible to describe it accurately to people who have never lived here.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 PM

35 posts, read 89,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
gosh I'm about to give up on this topic.

carol city is about evenly mixed between hispanic and black families. I would like to emphasize the family in that sentence. carol city is a middle class blue collar neighborhood. I live here. carol city is my home. without coming off as a chest thumpy braggart I will say that I could afford to live just about anywhere in south florida. I earn better than 70% of the people in the country. I enjoy living well within my means because doing so allows me far greater options in life than not doing so.

there is very little gang activity in carol city.

but consider the following question. what is a gang? is a gang not a group of people? I have nothing to fear from people. if you refuse to be fearful and have love in your heart but also the willingness to not be victimized, these things come across non verbally. people "know". you know this, we all know this.

quit fearing people because of skin color or national origin. doing so the epitome of ignorance. we are all part of the human family, just refuse to be a victim and insist on being a friend.
Thank You!!!!!!!! This man here is REAL! I think 4/5 of the people on all these forrums need to take his advice!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:21 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Actually, living downtown now has some advantages. I understand that Mary Brickell Village is "the place" for downtown night life and living! I still like the uniqueness of Miami!! Seems impossible to describe it accurately to people who have never lived here.
Austin - nice to see you over here.

I'll have to take your word for downtown living - I rarely venture that deep into Dade anymore. It's not the people, it's the traffic. I find that I head north to Broward for shopping, entertainment, cultural events, etc. Don't get me wrong, Broward has traffic, but the x-ways are newer and wider, which makes the driving easier.

Miami is unique - no argument there.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:29 AM

292 posts, read 956,392 times
Best- Star Island, Fisher Island- hey you asked for the best.
Worst- Overtown, Carol City, Opa Locka.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami