Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,116,288 times

Advertisements

Chelito. As you said, much is relative and people make individual choices. Yeah, I'd like to live in Gables by the Sea of course but it's not part of my budget nor would I want to stretch that far. If I had won the lotto last night, I might think differently.
But I think in general we are talking about the average individual here. The median. Yes, Miami is expensive and $300K won't get you a mansion here. You'd have to look elsewhere in Florida or some other not so popular state. Not popular for their own reasons- employment, weather, crime, whatever.
I agree Miami is expensive and so is its more decent housing opportunities but just think, a studio in NYC in a "decent", not ritzy Fifth or Park Avenues, can run you over $600K, minimum and you're still dealing with traffic, crime, the subways, the weather, and just about anything else you can think of. Is the 24/7 liveliness of NYC worth it? Not for me. Been there, done that as they say.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:10 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,776,079 times
Chelito - first of all, I DO live here!!! (Biscayne Gardens/Golden Glades area between NM & NMB) I work in Aventura & drive this area EVERYDAY!
I work overnight so no traffic for me across 163rd at 6AM! (Going I take Miami Gardens to avoid the traffic, though 9:30PM isn't too bad!)

I see what you're saying about someone from out of town, but, I mean, not to be rude, but you would have to be from another planet not to "know" about Miami! (ie, big city, lots of minorities & crime, etc)
So when someone asks about Miami, I just assume they know what they're "getting into" - like if someone asked about neighborhoods in NY or Detroit - you ain't gettin' Mr Roger's Neighborhood if ya know what I mean! So I just asume people know that!

Thankfully I have never encountered problems, but I certainly don't walk around at night!!! You'd have to be nuts! (Or a teenager! )

And I don't go into laundromats - I mean, most houses have washers & dryers! Apts are another story & a whole other set of people!!!
Those are the lower income people & probably the crime areas are near places like that...
I also don't take the bus - again, lower income not having a car (unless you live on The Beach like I did for 10 years with no car. Ahhh that was wonderful! )

But really theses areas are kinda like Queens - middle/working class, some good people, some shady just like any big diverse city area!

Personally I love it here!
I WOULD like to be able to take a walk late at night like I used to on The Beach, but hey...
I'd also like a few acres too...
Whatcha gonna do?
I just can't wait til SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 09:40 PM

1 posts, read 32,394 times
Miami can be a good area depending on where you go. For instance, Coral Gables, Miami Gardens, Aventura, West Miami, and Hallandale are all very nice areas. Like every other state in the country; there are good and bad areas.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 78,294 times
Cool Don't believe the hype!

Most of these people who are talking about these "good" areas think they're good because they see the nice houses. Those are the ones most likely to get broken into and have been. Don't get me wrong places like hialeah and liberty city are high in crime but like anywhere else in this country there is crime. North Miami Beach is a nice city with spotty areas, and you can fine some of the of the best kept secret fine dinning around 79th street (magnum piano lounge, etc.) south dade is not lawless LMAO! If you want snobs, paris hilton wannabe's and high pricing Aventura is just for you.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 78,294 times
Default To the limited Miamian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Chelito - first of all, I DO live here!!! (Biscayne Gardens/Golden Glades area between NM & NMB) I work in Aventura & drive this area EVERYDAY!
I work overnight so no traffic for me across 163rd at 6AM! (Going I take Miami Gardens to avoid the traffic, though 9:30PM isn't too bad!)

I see what you're saying about someone from out of town, but, I mean, not to be rude, but you would have to be from another planet not to "know" about Miami! (ie, big city, lots of minorities & crime, etc)
So when someone asks about Miami, I just assume they know what they're "getting into" - like if someone asked about neighborhoods in NY or Detroit - you ain't gettin' Mr Roger's Neighborhood if ya know what I mean! So I just asume people know that!

Thankfully I have never encountered problems, but I certainly don't walk around at night!!! You'd have to be nuts! (Or a teenager! )

And I don't go into laundromats - I mean, most houses have washers & dryers! Apts are another story & a whole other set of people!!!
Those are the lower income people & probably the crime areas are near places like that...
I also don't take the bus - again, lower income not having a car (unless you live on The Beach like I did for 10 years with no car. Ahhh that was wonderful! )

But really theses areas are kinda like Queens - middle/working class, some good people, some shady just like any big diverse city area!

Personally I love it here!
I WOULD like to be able to take a walk late at night like I used to on The Beach, but hey...
I'd also like a few acres too...
Whatcha gonna do?
I just can't wait til SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!
To my experience of living in miami for a very long time I've known many people who use public transportation to save gas and commute time for far jobs is that what lower income or smart people do? (lol) I live in a house and my washer and dryer gave out after a while and I began going to a cute and fun atmosphere laundromat. Learn more about the different situations would you? )

Old 02-16-2007, 12:22 AM

Dude! I was speaking in general! Sheesh! I lived here for 11 years without a car & lived in an apt so there were machines in the building.
I meant in general that areas with alot of apts & people going to landrymats = lower income area = more crime.
Take a look around and notice different situations wouldja?!

Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 PM

14 posts, read 92,802 times
There Is Not Safe City Or Safe Place In Miami-dade County... Even The Most Expensive Cities Have High Crime, Dont Move To Miami... Save Your Life...

Old 02-16-2007, 10:21 PM

25 posts, read 175,509 times
Naw, Liberty city, Opa locka, lil haiti, and other northern Dade neighborhoods.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammachine View Post
There Is Not Safe City Or Safe Place In Miami-dade County... Even The Most Expensive Cities Have High Crime, Dont Move To Miami... Save Your Life...
Dude, pahlease!!!
If you don't want crime, move to Mr. Roger's Neighborhood!
If you live in the real world, Miami is no different than any other large metro...

Old 03-03-2007, 09:20 AM

25 posts, read 213,563 times
Hello:
I lived on Brickell- I loved it. It is a neighborhood, safe with all the guard gate post at each condo building, you can walk out of your condo compound and go running along the bay, etc. The runners, like myself, are out after work and on Saturday morning. It is wonderful. The view of the bay, especially since i lived on brickell bay drive, is to die for- breathtaking. I do not think i could live anywher else in miami - however, all the places you said were good are good as well, matter of taste and lifeastyle.
AND, at the Publix on 8th Street- the service is wonderful, they will happilly speak English to you and it is an affluent group of people in the store. No rudeness there, or at the local pharmacy, etc.

Everything you need is 5 minutes away, grocery store, gas station, blockbuster, dry cleaner, hair salon, bank, drug store, etc and the financial district. Short drive to work or walk.

AND- we run, walk, in the evening up to 9pm - in safety -just stick to Brickell Ave and Brickell Bay Drive and Brickell Key and - as I said - use street smarts- I never had a problem, and I do not know anyone who did, unless perhaps they were not looking out.

Last edited by beachgirl7; 03-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: forgot imp piece of info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami