U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2008, 04:45 PM

4 posts, read 7,292 times
Default Moving.......Seattle or Miami?

So.........I am tired of California, it is too sunny and dry. I like all different kinds of weather, just not the boring kind. I have lived in other states before; Colorado, Connecticut, Arizona, and I spent some time near the panhandle in Florida, but....never been to Miami.

Being from California, I really want to live somewhere that is culturally diverse. I love to experience new things. Art, Poetry, Live music, Salsa dancing, nature........I like the exotic but I can also appreciate the intellectual.

So, I'm confused. Colorado was great but, for now I want to be close enough to smell the sea and since I have options in both cities I just need some help picking one, since I have not been to either. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 05:35 PM

6,379 posts, read 12,542,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosaicmurmaid View Post
So.........I am tired of California, it is too sunny and dry. I like all different kinds of weather, just not the boring kind.
If you think California has boring weather, than Miami isn't the place for you. Other than hurricane season which can be exciting at times, Miami has the same weather year round, in 2007 we had 313 days (thats over 10 months) in the 80s and 90s. At least in Cali you can drive to the mountains or the ocean in one day. In Miami to get to a different climate you have to fly most likely as it takes 6 hours to just get out of the state from Miami, and then still you are only in Georgia.

Quote:
So, I'm confused. Colorado was great but, for now I want to be close enough to smell the sea and since I have options in both cities I just need some help picking one, since I have not been to either. Any advice?

Seattle isn't near the ocean, it has the lake/river there in the city, so it has a feel like you are on the ocean. Seattle is really pretty, but stays cool almost year round and it has a misty rain for many months out of the year. It has a great cultural artsy community. I loved Seattle when we visited, but its gloomy many months out of the year, which I couldn't handle.

Miami yes we have some cultural diversity, but not as much as you would think. Its many a hispanic/latin culture. Miami is on the Ocean which is great if you are into it. Miami isn't dry, so if you don't want dry we have planty of humidity. You can have it, I want to move to a place that is dry, my hair will do much better then.

You really need to visit both to help make your decision, because none of us on here knows you enough to say which place is right for you. We can only tell you our views, which may not be like yours.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:12 PM

392 posts, read 757,652 times
If you like 5 months of cloudy, cool to cold and rainy weather then Seattle is the place.

If you like the ocean, temps in the 70's and 80's in winter and 90's with high humidity in summer with afternoon thunderstorms, the occasional hurricane or tropical storm with a diverse culture then Miami is for you

Old 10-04-2008, 08:52 PM

389 posts, read 660,812 times
Quote:
So.........I am tired of California, it is too sunny and dry. I like all different kinds of weather, just not the boring kind. I have lived in other states before; Colorado, Connecticut, Arizona, and I spent some time near the panhandle in Florida, but....never been to Miami.

Being from California, I really want to live somewhere that is culturally diverse. I love to experience new things. Art, Poetry, Live music, Salsa dancing, nature........I like the exotic but I can also appreciate the intellectual.

Miami. There are enough people from California up here in Washington the way it is. :P

Seattle has NOTHING to offer you. It's ALWAYS rainy. It rains every day of the year. And it's never nice, especially in the summer. The state income tax is a HUGE burden on EVERYONE here, and the economy has absolutely crashed throughout the ENTIRE state of Washington. In fact, I'm typing this message from my brand new Apple Box computer. It's not a Mac, it's literally a box that used to have apples in it. And the people. They're all so rude. And there are no immigrants here in Washington, especially not in the Yakima area, or ANYWHERE in central Washington. And no geographic diversity. We don't have a temperate rainforest in Washington, nope. And there are no mountains. Or deserts. NONE. The Columbia basin is a MYTH, you hear?! A MYTH IT IS!!!! THERE IS NO WATER IN WASHINGTON STATE AND IT RAINS EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR HERE. There is absolutely NO geographic diversity here. None whatsoever. And no skiing. The Coast Guard has strictly forbidden ANY boating activity anywhere in Washington State, and we can't get a hold of fresh fish. Ever.

There, I hope that clears things up for you.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 AM

710 posts, read 1,418,629 times
Quote:
Miami is as culturally diverse as the US gets (well, maybe NYC is more).
Once you get past seeing the Hispanic culture here as a monolith, you'll see the diversity in Argentinians vs Cubans vs Peruvians vs Central Americans.
You'll see women in bikinis roller-blading past Hasidic Jews, you'll hear French and Portuguese being spoken every day in addition to Spanish and English. You'll meet intellectuals from Brasilia and Mexico City in addition to day laborers from Guatemala. TO ME, it's VERY diverse.

Intellectually, Miami is NOT the Bay Area or Boston or of course NYC - not even close. But we do have plenty to offer if you look -- the Book Fair in in 4 weeks, it's HUGE with plenty of lectures and book signings, Art Basel, lectures at U 0f M, art movies, Books & Books; you won't be bored October - April (maybe May - September though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If you think California has boring weather, than Miami isn't the place for you. Other than hurricane season which can be exciting at times, Miami has the same weather year round, in 2007 we had 313 days (thats over 10 months) in the 80s and 90s. At least in Cali you can drive to the mountains or the ocean in one day. In Miami to get to a different climate you have to fly most likely as it takes 6 hours to just get out of the state from Miami, and then still you are only in Georgia.
Miami's weather changes every day! Think of a nice (but humid) morning, with clouds building around 2 and finally exploding to a torrential downpour by 3:30, raining cats & dogs for 45 minutes, then clearing back up around 5. No, the temp doesn't really change that much for months, but everything else does - HUGE changes.
In SoCal, the weather oozes; strong gray mist in the morning slowly burning off to a clear and dry midday, and staying the same the rest of the day.
Even the rain in the winter oozes in, slowly getting grayer and grayer for a day until it drizzles, then rains, then drizzles, then slowly clears up again -- all in slow motion over 3 days.
ABSOLUTELY TRUE that you can be in very different climates in SoCal in very little time, it is the home of "Micro-Climates." In 1 hour you can go from the coast which is 68 and gray marine layer to 94 and bluebird clear. Then in another hour up into the mountains and another "micro-climate."
But things change VERY slowly on a day to day basis in SoCal.

mosaicmurmaid, I've never been to Seattle, have a good friend who ended up there and he likes it (not loves). I agree you'd need to come check both out if your serious, they are both VERY different and unique places.

Good luck.

Last edited by planetsurf; 10-06-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,333,813 times
You'll hear French spoken about 2% of the time, Portuguese 2% of the time, Spanish 75% of the time, English 13% of the time, and Creole 8% of the time. Maybe a little more Spanish. That's not very diverse. "Brasilia" or whatever you call it and Mexico City are also not the intellectual meccas you hype them to be. The Brazilians and Mexicans in Miami are arrogant money mongers who epitomize the greed that we often see from that part of the world, and don't contribute to Miami in any way other than putting 10% down on a friggin condo and maybe luxury car sales. I do love it when they try to speak English though, rich South Americans often speak little English, and they expect you to know their backwater languages.

Last edited by big mean bear; 10-06-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM

710 posts, read 1,418,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
You'll hear French spoken about 2% of the time, Portuguese 2% of the time, Spanish 75% of the time, English 13% of the time, and Creole 8% of the time. Maybe a little more Spanish. That's not very diverse. "Brasilia" or whatever you call it and Mexico City are also not intellectual meccas you hype them to be. The Brazilians and Mexicans in Miami are arrogant money mongers who epitomize the greed that we often see from that part of the world, and don't add to Miami in any way other than putting 10% down on a friggin condo and maybe luxury car sales.
I PERSONALLY hear French, Spanish, Portugues, English and Hebrew EVERY DAY during the week. This is just at my kids school. EVERY SINGLE DAY - 2x.

Not sure who is hyping certain cities as intellectual capitals, but I PERSONALLY have a friend from Brasilia (Never heard of it? The capital of Brasil?) and another from Mexico City who are both VERY educated, lived all over the world (one in Russia, France, Italy, NYC - the other in Peru, England, NYC, Israel) and are both highly employed individuals here in Miami. Yes, intellectuals.

Many other interesting and intelligent people I know, but I was just making a point, not trying to oversell anything.

Last edited by planetsurf; 10-06-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,333,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
I PERSONALLY hear French, Spanish, Portugues, English and Hebrew EVERY DAY during the week. This is just at my kids school.

Not sure who is hyping certain cities as intellectual capitals, but I PERSONALLY have friends from Brasilia (ever hear of it? the capital of Brasil?) and Mexico City who are both VERY educated, lived all over the world (Russia, France, Italy, NYC, Israel) and are both highly employed individuals here in Miami. Yes, intellectuals.

Many other interesting and intelligent people I know, but I was just making a point, not trying to oversell anything.
I know you want to mention the large number of languages spoken, but Spanish is so overwhelmingly dominant that it will make your ears ring if you're not careful, and I think it's a shame because it drowns out all the other languages.

Yea Brasilia is that new capital they made from nothing 50 years ago I remember reading about it but the name sounded kind of "fufu" at first...

Old 10-07-2008, 02:23 PM

294 posts, read 750,058 times
Having lived in both Miami and Seattle, I'd be happy to share my perspective.

Here is my take on both cities based on your criteria:

Weather: Seattle has four distinct seasons and the winter is very mild. Miami has two seasons, wet and dry, with the dry season being the most perfect weather on the planet in my opinion. Although it is grey and cloudy in Seattle most days from fall to early spring, the rain is mostly constant drizzle. I hardly ever used an umbrella when I lived there. The cold and grey weather, although depressing to some, actually made me want to do more cultural things like read, go to plays, movies, shop in book stores, etc. I find both climates enjoyable, but for different reasons. Because of the weather, you'll find more (and better) coffee shops and used book stores in Seattle. I think the restaurant scene is better in Seattle. I also felt more intellectually stimulated and curious when living in Seattle.

Cultural diversity: I think Miami is more diverse. I've met many more German, French, Polish, Russian and Latino (needless to say) people here in Miami than I ever did in Seattle. Seattle is mostly white and asian. The music scene in Seattle is much better, hands down. You will also find more literary and better educated people in Seattle, if that floats your boat. However, people in Seattle can be almost too laid back and casual at times. The University of Washington is better (and more beautiful) in my opinion than the University of Miami.

Nature: that would be a tie. I loved the Pacific Northwest for its access to mountains, fishing, San Juan islands, etc., but I equally love South Florida for its Everglades, Keys, warm ocean, etc. You can never swim in the Pacific Ocean - it is always cold! But there are no mountains in South Florida - it's the same flat terrain for miles, and miles and miles. That depresses me some days.

Overall, I like both cities the same. Seattle is safer, more laid back and more artsy with a real, vibrant downtown. It has better public transportation and is a more walkable city (Capital Hill, U-Way, downtown, the fisherman's whart, pioneer square, etc. are great places to walk around and shop, eat, etc.). Miami is a grimier and more dangerous city with no downtown core to speak of (South Beach is as close to a 'walkable downtown' feel you'll ever get - but its expensive and touristy). But Miami has a personality and energy that Seattle lacks. I personally like the weather more in Miami, but I find myself reading less since I spend more of my sparetime outdoors.

Based on your criteria, I'd probably recommend Seattle, but not by much. You should really spend two weeks in Miami and one week in Seattle to get to know them respectively. It takes longer for the 'palm-tree paradise' effect to wear off in Miami...

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami