Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2008, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 7,800 times

Advertisements

Hope someone of you can help me with some advice
Me and my family are going to spend roughly a week in Miami end of october to beginning of November. Since our plane will arrive at midnight at Miami airport, I wonder if it is recommendable to pick up a rental car to drive out to South Beach, or if it is better to take a taxi ( I definitivelly don´t know the areas...). If we take a taxi, how much do they charge from the airport to South Beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Does the hotel you are staying at on the beach have their own parking lot or valet? That might make the difference.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:44 AM

As far as I know, they have. How come?

Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folka View Post
As far as I know, they have. How come?
Well, if you get off a plane at midnight, get your bags, get a rental car, it's now about 1:30am.
Driving to the beach is no big deal (if you know where you're going) and about 20 minutes, but then finding parking would be a VERY big deal. Dealing with bags, you're tired ...

If you're going to be here for a week, maybe take a taxi from the airport, then spend the first 2-3 days without a car. THEN rent a car to drive around/explore Miami more. SOBE is easy without a car, if you're north of there, the buses are safe and cheap to get down to SOBE and a taxi from the Fountanbleu say, is less than $12.

The cost of parking won't be much less than a cab from the airport for the first day, then even if you had to take a cab BACK to MIA to get a car, by the time you add up the cost of the car + parking every day, it might be a wash $-wise.
(Parking @ $35/day + the cost of the car vs ~$50/taxi. Some hotels charge for in and outs, some just for the day, so it could be even more to park!)

Keep the car for the last 3-4 days of your trip (until you leave), drop it off and enjoy your flight home.

Just a thought, call the hotel to find out about how much a taxi would cost from MIA, they'll know.

Have a great trip.

Last edited by planetsurf; 10-06-2008 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
I would say take a Taxi would be your best bet,especially if you do not know the city of Miami and Miami Beach. It should be less than a 10 mile drive to South Beach from Miami International Airport.

If your driver takes you west on the 836 or Dolphin Expressway over to the 826 or Palmetto Expressway over to Interstate -95 over to the Julia Tuttle Causeway then down Collins to South Beach,this person is taking you out of your way to jack up the fare cost. Just make sure he is heading east out of the airport on the 836 east which eventually turns in to Interstate-395 then over the 5th street causeway heading to Miami Beach also known as South Beach.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM

Seems like the hotel we´ll be staying offers free parking. Considering the prices you are mentioning for just parking, this seems like a good deal. And if these aliens "Chupacabra" are awake at midnight, I think I prefer a taxi

Old 10-06-2008, 06:52 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,440 times
At that time of night and not knowing the area I would definately take a taxi

Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Does National, Hertz or any other rental car companies have facilities on South Beach? Or do I have to go back to the airport next day to pick my rental car up???

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
The drive from the aiport to south beach is very simple. It is basically just a highway ride.. I'd recommend picking up a rental car instead of the taxi.. i paid 6 bucks to go 4 blocks... (yeah i was lazy that night).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami