U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 PM

727 posts, read 1,216,496 times

Advertisements

Atlanta GA. And whoever said that dont see people in Miami as being anymore rude than anywhere else... your kidding right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM

2,082 posts, read 5,142,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I actually explore the city quite a bit, and I've come to the conclusion people are the same just about anywhere you go. Why is it that I can go so many different places and not encounter these rude people, yet others come and complain that EVERYONE is rude. I think a lot depends on the person, and if you think people are rude in Miami, chances are people are going to be rude in a different city.
Well, after 26 of my 29 years spent in Miami, I can say that yes, I did encounter a LOT of rude people there. Not everyone is, obviously, but there is a lot of animosity and rudeness toward complete strangers for no reason whatsoever during the course of a normal day. Obviously, there are many of us who have experienced this in Miami of you wouldn't see any mention of it on this forum. I do not find an overwhelming number of people to be rude in the city that I now reside, nor did I find this in the city where I attended university, so your theory that it is all a personal problem does not hold water.

I'm actually a very positive person, who likes to give people I meet the benefit of the doubt upon our first meeting, and this is also how I behaved in Miami. I'm no, "Good morning, sugar" type of person, but I do treat strangers with respect until given a reason not to do so. On more occasions than I care to admit, I was not granted the same respect in Miami when ecountering people in public, and this does not just apply to "cashiers at Publix" like I hear about so much on this board. This was anyone, from people expected to provide excellent customer service, to someone walking by on the street, to customers at my job. The rudeness was not isolated to a certain class of people.

Congratulations if you have not encountered these people in Miami. Maybe you have lower expectations from fellow human beings, or maybe you have just encountered all the good people so far. I would much rather that you didn't have to deal with some of the crap I dealt with from people there. It certainly never hurt my feelings, but it just didn't make sense for people living in a "tropical paradise" to be so darn ticked off all the time.

Off my soapbox, I think the OP should definitely check out Colorado (it is truly beautiful out there), although I personally could not deal with the landlocked aspect having lived so close to the ocean my entire life. Also GA, the Carolinas and Virginia all have mountains and relatively decent COL depending on where you want to be. Maryland might also be an option to explore, although I think that is getting a little on the expensive side for COL.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,714,936 times
Check Dallas and Austin, TX. Atlanta, GA. NC, SC. I have even heard people say that Salt Lake City, UT, is good too. But too cold.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:09 PM

452 posts, read 893,959 times
morlen: I moved from miami to charlotte, nc and we love it... It was what we were looking for. you should check it out...Charlotte's Got A Lot - Official Charlotte NC Travel Resource , go and check out stuff

Old 10-23-2008, 08:40 PM

6 posts, read 13,836 times
I lived in South Dade/West Kendall for 16 years, I am near Charlotte NC, and we love it! Lake Norman, the Moutains, and theater all close by!
Es muy bien!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM

727 posts, read 1,216,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
morlen: I moved from miami to charlotte, nc and we love it... It was what we were looking for. you should check it out...Charlotte's Got A Lot - Official Charlotte NC Travel Resource , go and check out stuff

Oh no. I'd keep the lid on that one unless you wanna see CLT become like Miami. Miami attracted a lot of the wrong people, and if they up and move to CLT, it's gonna change and CLT will no longer be desirable.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 PM

571 posts, read 1,082,339 times
Boone, NC!! It's snowing! You would love it, and it's not so far you can't visit the beach. We have mountains, lakes, skiing, wonderful people, and Appalachian State University. And it's a LOT closer than Denver!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM

571 posts, read 1,082,339 times
By the way, I'm a NINE generation Florida native. My ancestors are Spanish Minorcans that still live in the Mayport area, near Jacksonville. I escaped Miami 8 years ago and have never looked back!

Old 10-28-2008, 12:09 PM

6,483 posts, read 13,164,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Boone, NC!! It's snowing! You would love it, and it's not so far you can't visit the beach. We have mountains, lakes, skiing, wonderful people, and Appalachian State University. And it's a LOT closer than Denver!
Oh, I am so jealous! I just went to some webcams of that area, so beautiful.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:21 PM

399 posts, read 889,416 times
Northern California - mild climate with some seasonality, amazing scenery, proximity to National Parks and exciting cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami