Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 PM

62 posts, read 286,754 times

Advertisements

hello
I was looking at my absentee ballot. It has a bunch of items to vote yes or no on on Nov 4th such as "Charter Amendment providing alternative process to qualify for office of county commissioner or Mayor".
[that's just one of many items on ther ballot]
Does anyone know a web page that could clearly explain what the "issues" is?
I went to Miami Dade's web page and their explanation says :
RESOLUTION CALLING A COUNTYWIDE SPECIAL ELECTION IN MIAMI-DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA, IN CONJUNCTION WITH A GENERAL ELECTION TO BE HELD ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2008, FOR THE PURPOSE OF SUBMITTING TO THE ELECTORS OF MIAMI-DADE COUNTY THE QUESTION OF WHETHER TO AMEND THE HOME RULE CHARTER TO PERMIT CANDIDATES FOR THE OFFICE OF COUNTY COMMISSIONER OR MAYOR TO SUBMIT A PETITION SIGNED BY SPECIFIED NUMBER OF REGISTERED VOTERS TO QUALIFY FOR OFFICE RATHER THAN PAY A QUALIFYING FEE

If you vote yes, does it mean that candidates for County Commissioner will need to qualify by providing signed petitions in the future?
or if you vote yes does that mean candiadates can do either or ?

In put appreciated, but a web link to a site that has clear explanations of each issue, would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 04:38 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
I wasn't able to find much info on it either but was told by a woman I work with that the current incumbents were not happy with it and were looking for a NO vote thus I will vote YES on it.

Anything the S.Florida incumbents don't like I than love . I think it makes it easier to run for a position if you have the signatures and thus fee not needed.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
If a measure like this could remain on the ballot how the hell did the teacher's unions get the two property tax measures removed for being too ambiguous?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,550 times
Thumbs up 2008 ballot help

There are 2 websites that offer some help with the issues on the ballot.

For help with the charter amendments check out :
On Miami-Dade County Questions/ Home Rule Charter Amendments | MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/story/726431.html - broken link)

For help with the Constitututional amendments check out:
2008 State Ballot Initiatives - LWV of Tallahassee (http://tallahassee.fl.lwvnet.org/StateBallots.html - broken link)

and on the candidates:

General Election Voter Guide - LWV of Tallahassee (http://tallahassee.fl.lwvnet.org/candidates.html - broken link)

then make an INFORMED decision. Please share these sites with others as most of us do not understand the issues and vote in ignorance which is worse than having some opinion.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 6,162 times
Default Thank You!!!

In reference to: [URL=http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/story/726431.html]
2008 State Ballot Initiatives - LWV of Tallahassee (http://tallahassee.fl.lwvnet.org/StateBallots.html - broken link)

Thank you, for taking the time to Post the web addresses that explain the Florida Issues and the Home Rule Charter Amendments on the 2008 Election Ballot. As a result, I was able to make an Informed decision on my ballot. I hope everyone in search of understanding the issues go to the above web-addresses and carefully read the pro's and con's before you bubble in your choice.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Default vote in ignorance which is worse than having some opinion.

So taking off my shoes and using the historically reliable method of eeney-meeney-miney mo isn't good ?
<kidding>

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsitentalk View Post
There are 2 websites that offer some help with the issues on the ballot.

For help with the charter amendments check out :
On Miami-Dade County Questions/ Home Rule Charter Amendments | MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/story/726431.html - broken link)

For help with the Constitututional amendments check out:

and on the candidates:

General Election Voter Guide - LWV of Tallahassee (http://tallahassee.fl.lwvnet.org/candidates.html - broken link)

then make an INFORMED decision. Please share these sites with others as most of us do not understand the issues and vote in ignorance which is worse than having some opinion.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM

Default FL voting on Charters - additional assistance needed

ok I found these 'explanations' but it's still unclear because of the ballot wording if I think it's a good idea or bad idea, do I vote YES or NO .( the wording is so convoluted)

#1 is largely a formality. It changes the charter to reflect the strong mayor form of government that voters have already approved and which is currently in affect. A yes vote would formally transfer the powers and responsibilities that previously belonged to the county manager to the county mayor.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN TERMS MOST PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND??

#2 would raise the annual salaries of the 13 county commissioners from $6,000 to $92,000 each. (Commissioners currently get a host of benefits, too, which raises their intake substantially.) The pay raise would mandate that commissioners have no other job. The amendment originally included term limits with the pay hike, but commissioners removed the limits from the ballot question.

SO by voting YES they get larger SALARIES and can have no other jobs?
Does the $6,000.00 they recieve now, reflect the beenfits they are also recieving?
If they get their salary gets bumped to $92K, would their benefits be in addition to that??
They would have no salary limits & there are no limits on how long their salary would be in affect??

#3 would allow people to qualify as candidates for county office through a voter petition. Currently the only way is to pay a filing fee.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN EXACTLLY? (as far as how it affects us either way?)

#4 & #5 both involve transferring the responsibility of approving citizen petitions to the county clerk rather than the county commission.
That would eliminate the chance for the commission to refuse a petition it doesn’t like.
Number 4 also requires the commission to hold public hearings on petitions that are approved.

So if you vote YES for #4, citizen petitions would be approved by county clerk & the commishioner could not refuse it??
If you vote YES for #5, requires the commission to hold public hearings on petitions that are approved.

This was confusing: a public hearing to decide a petitions merit??
Or after you get the required number of signatures on a petition , a public hearing could decide no anyway?

#6 would force all but five Miami-Dade cities to use the county's fire-rescue service. Currently, Pinecrest, Surfside and Indian Creek are moving to contract with other departments from their neighboring cities ' fire departments. Question 6 would take away that right to choose. The City of Miami, Miami Beach, Hialeah, Coral Gables and Key Biscayne have and will continue to operate their fire departments.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT EACH OF US?
Higher taxes if you are in an unincorporated area?

all help appreciated, thanks

Old 10-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
We googled page after page after page but can you imagine how many voters will not understand what they're voting on and don't know how or where to find out? It's kinda scary ain't it.

These things are written in jibberish, purposely.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:44 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_pawn View Post
ok I found these 'explanations' but it's still unclear because of the ballot wording if I think it's a good idea or bad idea, do I vote YES or NO .( the wording is so convoluted)

#1 is largely a formality. It changes the charter to reflect the strong mayor form of government that voters have already approved and which is currently in affect. A yes vote would formally transfer the powers and responsibilities that previously belonged to the county manager to the county mayor.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN TERMS MOST PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND??

#2 would raise the annual salaries of the 13 county commissioners from $6,000 to $92,000 each. (Commissioners currently get a host of benefits, too, which raises their intake substantially.) The pay raise would mandate that commissioners have no other job. The amendment originally included term limits with the pay hike, but commissioners removed the limits from the ballot question.

SO by voting YES they get larger SALARIES and can have no other jobs?
Does the $6,000.00 they recieve now, reflect the beenfits they are also recieving?
If they get their salary gets bumped to $92K, would their benefits be in addition to that??
They would have no salary limits & there are no limits on how long their salary would be in affect??

#3 would allow people to qualify as candidates for county office through a voter petition. Currently the only way is to pay a filing fee.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN EXACTLLY? (as far as how it affects us either way?)

#4 & #5 both involve transferring the responsibility of approving citizen petitions to the county clerk rather than the county commission.
That would eliminate the chance for the commission to refuse a petition it doesn’t like.
Number 4 also requires the commission to hold public hearings on petitions that are approved.

So if you vote YES for #4, citizen petitions would be approved by county clerk & the commishioner could not refuse it??
If you vote YES for #5, requires the commission to hold public hearings on petitions that are approved.

This was confusing: a public hearing to decide a petitions merit??
Or after you get the required number of signatures on a petition , a public hearing could decide no anyway?

#6 would force all but five Miami-Dade cities to use the county's fire-rescue service. Currently, Pinecrest, Surfside and Indian Creek are moving to contract with other departments from their neighboring cities ' fire departments. Question 6 would take away that right to choose. The City of Miami, Miami Beach, Hialeah, Coral Gables and Key Biscayne have and will continue to operate their fire departments.

HOW DOES THIS AFFECT EACH OF US?
Higher taxes if you are in an unincorporated area?

all help appreciated, thanks
------------
I voted 2 days ago it goes without saying that I voted NO on #2. When I lived in PA I had 1 Mayor not 3 like here -One local assembly person not an army of city councils and commisioners like here.
It is ANOTHER political position here that does not need to exist .

S.Florida has an ocean of politicians where no one is accountable and citizens have no idea who does what .

I find it unreal how anyone would actually want to increase the salary of a bunch of people that we would be better off without .
There are more politicians here per square foot than any city INCLUDING NY which has a staggering population.

This is why schools,bus service,local social services get the short end of stick as the high property tax we pay goes for the countless army of do nothing politicians which ofcourse get car allowance,etc besides base salary.

S.Florida truly is a political Cosa Nostra.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM

THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT.
I turned in my ballot today & I hope I voted correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami