U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 03:03 PM

668 posts, read 1,477,619 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone could break down the public transportation in metro Miami (not the suburbs). Do they have subways? Is it convenient? If it's bad, what's bad about it? I take buses when I visit from the Tri-Rail in Hialeah all the time, and it always seems to get me where I want to go, and alot of other people seem to use it as well. Any information would be great. Thanks.

Btw, I live in Chicago and use only the public transportation to get around, could the same work in Miami?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM

2,082 posts, read 5,134,040 times
Do you mean just in downtown Miami? Metro Miami includes a lot of unincorporated suburbs, but it is really all just a big expanse of development, with nothing really in between the "city" and the residential areas.

No subways in Miami, other than the ones you can buy a sandwich at. There is the Metrorail (elevated train) that runs north-south generally along the US-1 corridor from the Dadeland area in Kendall to downtown, then north and west, terminating at the Palmetto. In downtown proper you have "metromovers" to get you around just the downtown vicinity. Everything else is just the metrobuses, which IMHO are not very efficient. Tons of stops and plenty of traffic make a simple trip into an epic journey in many cases. I'm sure it works if you have the time and the patience.

Here is the Miami-Dade transit website: Miami-Dade County - Transit

Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 AM

155 posts, read 303,935 times
well some area in miami has that but miami work on get a better trasit Miami-Dade County - Transit

Old 10-22-2008, 11:00 AM

22 posts, read 40,634 times
Public transportation is terrible in Miami. You could get by without a car only in downtown and maybe the beach area, though these areas are more expensive to live in. Miami is very sprawled out and the public transportation system does not reach the whole city. I live in Kendall and there are only buses there but if i took one it would take me an hour to get to a mall or us1, which is about a 10-15 min drive. Plus the bus stops are not close to the houses, it takes me 15 minutes to walk to the closest bus stop and in the hot humid weather this is not easy. I work less than a mile from my house and there are no bus stops within that area so I drive. I would love to walk to work but would never think to in Miami weather. By the time I get there I would be drenched in either sweat or rain.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 PM

17 posts, read 60,041 times
Just moved from Miami to Chicago. Public transportation in South Florida is a joke, and a bad one at that. Nothing like what is in Chicago. You must have a car if you are in the Miami area. I can't comment on the buses, never would have stepped a foot on one there. The TriRail is pretty bad, the metro is even worse. No coverage, and the lines run through some of the worst areas in the region. You wouldn't want to be in Opa Locka after dark, trust me. Do yourself a big favor and get a car.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 AM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukgrad89 View Post
JPublic transportation in South Florida is a joke, and a bad one at that. Nothing like what is in Chicago.
Thats why many of us call the MetroRail, MetroFail.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:05 PM

8,506 posts, read 16,502,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Thats why many of us call the MetroRail, MetroFail.
Also the train to nowhere. It serves more high crime areas than anyone else and is only profitable from civic center to dadeland north. Most people get off at government center and that's it. Funny how it never served the port, the airport or miami beach.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM

6,476 posts, read 13,137,023 times
You would think that they would of connected this thing to the airport, the port, and Miami Beach by now, but we all now why that hasn't happened, corruption.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:13 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,416,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Also the train to nowhere. It serves more high crime areas than anyone else and is only profitable from civic center to dadeland north. Most people get off at government center and that's it. Funny how it never served the port, the airport or miami beach.
Metro fail will eventually go to the airport and all the way to FIU. When that will be, however, is a good question.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 7,310,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
You would think that they would of connected this thing to the airport, the port, and Miami Beach by now, but we all now why that hasn't happened, corruption.
Actually it's more than corruption. Metrorail's $1 Billion dollar inital cost was mostly paid for by the Federal Government. They paid 80% of the price tag ($800,000,000) while the state of Florida chipped in 10% & Miami Dade the remaining 10%.
There were many extensions planned at the time but the Feds said we needed a local dedicated source of funding in order to keep recieving Federal monies.
What did Miami Dade voters do? They kept on rejecting every single half cent to one cent penny sales tax referndum until traffic finally became so unbearable that they passed the half cent sales tax in 2002.
In other words voters didn't want to pay for it even though the inital 21 mile system only cost us $100 million which is a bargain. They dragged their feet for 18 years and the Feds kept giving their transit monies away to other cites.
So IMO Miamians shouldn't be complaing.You reap what you sow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami