U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 AM

1,372 posts, read 2,418,711 times

Advertisements

Apparently whites are a growing population in South Dade (to an extent) because there are new private schools being built all over the place down there. I don't blame people for not wanting to send their kids to the horrible schools down there... Look at all the new private schools being built around Keysgate that are K-8. They are a testament to what everybody knows about South Dade schools - they are "prison jungles"...

Keys Gate, Florida - Same latitude. Different world.#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Apparently whites are a growing population in South Dade (to an extent) because there are new private schools being built all over the place down there. I don't blame people for not wanting to send their kids to the horrible schools down there... Look at all the new private schools being built around Keysgate that are K-8. They are a testament to what everybody knows about South Dade schools - they are "prison jungles"...

So in essence you are saying that white people are the only ones privvy to private schools. They are the better people overall who aren't capable of being "ghetto". It can never be the white families that contribute to a school becoming a prison jungle

Old 10-23-2008, 01:27 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,602,467 times
Quote:

Lately you have made made your prejudices loud and clear. Seriously, what the hell? I am "white" myself and I can't believe how you so readily insinuate that "white" = good, non-ghetto and "non-white" = ghetto.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:49 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,696,903 times
Believe it or not there is new construction going around all of South Dade that does not happen in the northern neighborhoods. Throughout Homestead, Naranja, Cutler Bay, and, hell, even Florida City there are brand new suburban style neighborhoods being built. Oddly enough, however, they are often randomly placed in the middle of ghettos (as there was land available there, as opposed to the northern areas which are all built up).

This still can bring potential to South Dade, though aside from some nice areas is not the greatest place to live.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:39 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,418,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlady78 View Post
So in essence you are saying that white people are the only ones privvy to private schools. They are the better people overall who aren't capable of being "ghetto". It can never be the white families that contribute to a school becoming a prison jungle
Well, no you couldn't really blame white people for creating "prison jungle schools" if they don't even go there...your rhetorical statement makes no sense. The whites who do live in South Dade pay disproportionate taxes to fund schools their kids don't even attend and these schools are STILL bad. What gives?

Don't make white people villains because they can afford (or bend over backwards financially) to send their kids to a good school. Those who can afford (not only whites) to bypass Miami-Dade's low scoring - ghettoized schools have all the right to do so.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM

349 posts, read 346,513 times
Quote:
Well, no you couldn't really blame white people for creating "prison jungle schools" if they don't even go there...your rhetorical statement makes no sense. The whites who do live in South Dade pay disproportionate taxes to fund schools their kids don't even attend and these schools are STILL bad. What gives?

Don't make white people villains because they can afford (or bend over backwards financially) to send their kids to a good school. Those who can afford (not only whites) to bypass Miami-Dade's low scoring - ghettoized schools have all the right to do so.
Although true in some instances, don't forget the HIGH SCORING (at NATIONAL level) Miami-Dade public schools like MAST Academy and New World.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,834,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I don't really consider Country Walk or Palmetto Bay to be South Dade. I really think out of those, the only areas that are nice that I would personally consider South Dade are Key's Gate, Redlands, and east Cutler Bay.
LOL...I actually consider anything south of Dadeland to be South Dade OK, I'm going to catch hell from this...

Old 04-03-2013, 01:00 AM

2,239 posts, read 1,774,561 times
Most of those new schools are not private schools, they are charter schools.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:51 AM

930 posts, read 1,447,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
LOL...I actually consider anything south of Dadeland to be South Dade OK, I'm going to catch hell from this...
That's actually a good debatable subject. What is technically considered South Dade? My thesis would be probably most similar to compelled to reply's. But what would be the facts? Also, what is the whole area from Coconut Grove until the Dadeland area along/near the US-1 to be considered? I mostly call them Southeast Dade (it most probably isn't SW Dade - would geographically and demographically make no sense at all / South Dade clearly isn't).

Old 04-03-2013, 08:41 PM

3,663 posts, read 2,319,957 times
So what people get gentrified, because they can't afford the subsequent new developments, that doesn't mean they are riff-raff, the op statement is preposterous. Miami Gardens is not all bad there are good areas, I believe the consolidation will help the city as it will take time, 10 years is not that long. I believe we are seeing a prodigious exodus out of Overtown, although developments like Crosswinds and other developments were halted that would have been a whole new look for that area.

The problen Miami does have is with immigration, with an influx of low-skilled workers will accept low pay jobs with the rising cot of housing adding to the poverty of Miami which in the core city is high, this is what has to stop. Just because people are poor does not mean they are riff-raff or the color of their skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami