U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:52 PM

929 posts, read 989,363 times

Advertisements

this seems appropriate

Hurricane Andrew Victim Gets Power After 15 Years
Cutler Bay Woman Lived In the Dark Since Hurricane Andrew
Shoddy Repairs Prevented Her From Connecting Electricity
Volunteers Helped End 15 Years Of Cold Showers
http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_048002512.html (broken link)

Like many people after that horrific storm, she had a problem with an unscrupulous contractor, and when the money from the insurance settlement ran out, the contractor did too, leaving her home half-repaired and not up to code, which meant it would not have the electricity connected.

She didn't have the money to complete the work, and she didn't have anyplace else to go.

"It just never got done, and the money was gone, so I couldn't do a lot of things to allow me with Dade county to get my power back on," she said.

So she lived with it. She celebrated the new millennium with one tiny lamp and a single burner.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 10:59 PM

150 posts, read 404,592 times
Default Not quiet Havana

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitazz View Post
Jesus, how many times??? Let's talk about manipulating statistics
True. Miami is actually quite a small city. The thing is that it has such a huge metropolitan area compared to the size of Miami. If you factored in the income of coral gables, miami beach, kendall, south miami, pinecrest, miami lakes, miami shores, etc etc etc, then the average would be much better. Surely this can be done for the other cities on the list, but not in the same manner as Miami due to the fact that Miami is so small compared to it's metro area.

But that still should not take away from the fact that Miami is a craphole. I just think that people try too hard to make it Havana.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 18,212 times
Here's my two cents worth: doesn't seem to me that most of the poor people here in Miami are anything but OK with it. They mosey on about their day -- keep in mind, compared to the conditions they lived in in their native country they most assuredly feel rich by comparison. I have a Haitian family living next door to me -- must be 50 of them living in that run down house, and they keep sending for more family from Haiti. Are they miserable? Nope. They are happy go lucky. They are rich in spirit.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:14 PM

170 posts, read 253,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreammachine View Post
Poorest American cities
(Population over 250,000)
Rank City Median household income, 2006

1 Miami, FL $24,031

2 Newark, NJ $26,309

3 Cleveland, OH $27,871

4 Detroit, MI $27,871

5 Buffalo, NY $28,544

6 St. Louis, MO $30,389

7 Philadelphia, PA $30,631

8 Milwaukee, WI $31,231

9 New Orleans, LA $31,369

10 El Paso, TX $31,764

Source: U.S. Census, CNNMoney
This doesn't surprise me to be honest....

This is a city where salaries are low and housing costs are high. This is a city that you really do *not* want to be poor in.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:38 PM

6,853 posts, read 21,005,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loulijay View Post
Here's my two cents worth: doesn't seem to me that most of the poor people here in Miami are anything but OK with it. They mosey on about their day -- keep in mind, compared to the conditions they lived in in their native country they most assuredly feel rich by comparison. I have a Haitian family living next door to me -- must be 50 of them living in that run down house, and they keep sending for more family from Haiti. Are they miserable? Nope. They are happy go lucky. They are rich in spirit.
Exactly, from where most Miamians come from, this is a step up from where they have come from. Which to them Miami is great and they are happy to be here because they know where they came from.

Also just because you are wealthy doesn't mean that you would be happy, look at Britney Spears, that girl is unhappy with her life and she is worth millions. Or look at people living in many third world countries you will find people that are happy.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,821 times
I think this survey giving the median income masks the serious problems with poverty in many of these cities. With the mean's you can more clearly see that problems in cities like Miami are much worse than people in the greater United States can even imagine. I think most people refuse to stare into the face of the truth from their nice comfortable houses. If you look for any data on Miami, you will find that they are almost all medians, which helps to hide the truth.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,283,690 times
Don't worry folks, this isn't going to last (the expensiveness). The price of goods can not out pace what the local economy can bare. Well it can, but people will start leaving. When this is all said and done a lot of these greedy people who made places like Miami, Fort Lauderdale and NYC so ridiculously high as compared to the average person's income, well they are gonna have to eat a ton of humble pie.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,615,994 times
Doesn`t Miami have like the smallest city limits of any city? Most of that area is poor but alot of the surrounding areas are not bad so that makes the whole south Florida Dade area look bad.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:31 AM

183 posts, read 539,121 times
it's not the city, it's where in the city you live. that's how cities are. rich man, poor man and middle man all claim their portion of the city.
the suburbs is where you get one type of ppl. here in philly the suburbs are clean and quiet. no boom boxes and no litter bugs and thugs there. and the air is fresh and clean all of the time.
you get what you can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami