Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,757 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I'm seeking my teacher certification in florida and everything should be done and settled by about june. I want to move to southern florida, but am looking for an area that's relatively young (i've heard senior citizens are just about inevitable) relatively inexpensive, (i dont want to live in the ghetto but i dont want to pay more than 1100 a month for a one bedroom) and something where i can feel safe. I like the idea of living in miami but as far as the surrounding area goes, does anyone have any advice for me? In distance i am thinking as far south as Miami, as far north as Palm Beach. help!!!!!!! :-)

ps any advice about area school districts or schools? I will be looking to get a job as well....and i speak spanish, i am colombian, so it's all good

p.p.s...i have seen a lot of people commenting on how rude and materialistic people are in miami, let me just say that would not bother me, i am from long island, so rude and materialistic might as well have been my 2 best friends growing up... sad to say but true :-P

Last edited by mariposa1984; 02-17-2007 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 02:38 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,134,209 times
Miami Dade or Broward Public Schools would work. I think you should apply for a job first in one of the districts and from there figure out where to live, based on where you get hired. As an ex-MDCPS employee, I guarantee you will be hired for an inner-city school, unless you know a principal at a better school that will jump through hoops to hire you. In Dade County for example, many new teachers are sent to NW schools. If you were to teach in that area, look at an apartment in Miami Lakes, Miami Springs or areas near Aventura, once again, depending on which school you get. The rents for a one bedroom in these areas are closer to 1,000 for a decent place. It will really all depend on where you get hired. The starting salary in MDCPS for a first year teacher is around 35K btw. Hope this helps, maybe someone from Broward Public Schools can chime in about their schools.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:26 PM

6 posts, read 18,909 times
Dude -- turn around and RUN, don't walk, back to NY. I moved here from NYC last year and I want to HANG myself. I absolutely HATE living in Miami. Its a great place to visit -- but this is ranked #1 in poverty FOR A REASON. What you see on TV is NOT the real Miami. Look -- coming from NY, even our poor class have MORE CLASS than the poor class down here. This is like the back woods of Alabama or some third world country. DUDE -- please, please do not come down to Miami. I can't WAIT to get the hell out of dodge and get back to civilization. And trust me, I DREAMED of living in Miami. Now I know I fell for the PR they spin about this place.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:54 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
loulijay hahahha. AMEN to that buddy!

Old 02-26-2007, 06:56 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,336 times
I would try Broward County. Here are some links:

www.browardschools.com/

www.browardschools.com/departments/employment/

Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,811 times
I'm a teacher, born and raised here in south Florida, a rare breed. I taught in Dade County and currently in Broward. I know many areas of Dade and Broward County and can tell you a few nice places to live. On your budget, you should try the Davie area. There are many colleges from which to choose to attend and many apartments where I believe the rent is still decent, however, you may be better off renting from a private owner. The schools in Cooper City are about the best in the county, but there are MANY great schools located in Broward (unlike Dade) and the School Board of Broward County Job Fair is awesome. You can definitely get hired on the spot for a teaching position when you're ready if you are a decent teacher. Broward pays more than Dade, although I believe Dade recently said they will match Broward's salaries.

I don't know much about the Palm Beach school district, so can't help you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami