Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,538 times

Advertisements

contiplating places to live and I keep being told schooling is free in Florida and can't believe that it could be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
schooling is free in all parts of the USA... unless you choose to go to a private school.........

Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
If you mean college,no!!K-12 yes!!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Schooling isn't free in Florida, we are paying in our taxes for public schooling. We pay for the library, for the police, the fire department, the schools, etc., all out of our taxes. If everyone didn't pay for public schools, and parents had to pay for their individual children (which would be great for those without children in school), many parents couldn't afford to pay for their children to get a public education.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Schooling is not technically "free" anywhere. Public schooling (K-12) is paid for by taxes, so even though you are not paying directly for it, you are still paying for it.

You might be thinking of the Florida Bright Futures program for public universities in FL. Yes, if you satisfy certain requirements upon graduation from high school (FL residents only), you will qualify for a scholarship that may cover up to 100% of tuition to a public FL university (or, they will give you that amount toward tuition at a private or out of state school, but not 100% of those schools' tuition rates, which are usually exponentially higher than the resident rate at public FL universities).

I received a 100% Bright Futures scholarship and attended the University of Florida without having to pay any tuition. My parents had prepaid for my college education (Florida Prepaid | Prepaid College | Florida 529 Plans) and locked in the tuition rate when I was a child. By the time I went to college and received the Bright Futures scholarship, the tuition rate had gone up, so my parents received all of their money back when I received the scholarship.

Both programs are excellent and offer Florida residents a lot of value for their money when it comes to higher education.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,611 times
Schooling is free in Florida and its worth every penny.

On a more serious note, as posters above have said, it's not free. We pay through the nose in high progerty taxes and you have to pay even if you have no children. I don't have to pay a gas tax if I don't drive a car. Why should I have to pay a school tax if I have no children?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 8,587 times
Default what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
schooling is free in all parts of the usa... Unless you choose to go to a private school.........
afraid not? In indiana they pay to rent the books by the quarter semester (public school) my 15 year olds books cost to rent 180.00 every 4 months, luches are basic at 20.00 a week. Extra supplies for each class and then supplies you actually purchase. Some schools mandate certain clothing or shoes even at public schools. Just thought you might want to know how lucky you have it. Plus i didn't include extras like basic pictures run 60.00 twice a year, school badges and year books if wanted are at 40.00 now. Then we have sports and physicals, plus uniforms and gas to practices and meets. Wow-your free huh? Amazing! I need to move!!

Old 06-23-2010, 10:38 PM

2 posts, read 8,587 times
Default No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
schooling is free in all parts of the usa... Unless you choose to go to a private school.........
free?? What planet?? Not here in indiana and we still pay high taxes and rent the books every year and pay more to rent then to buy??

Old 06-23-2010, 11:50 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperdoll View Post
afraid not? In indiana they pay to rent the books by the quarter semester (public school) my 15 year olds books cost to rent 180.00 every 4 months, luches are basic at 20.00 a week. Extra supplies for each class and then supplies you actually purchase. Some schools mandate certain clothing or shoes even at public schools. Just thought you might want to know how lucky you have it. Plus i didn't include extras like basic pictures run 60.00 twice a year, school badges and year books if wanted are at 40.00 now. Then we have sports and physicals, plus uniforms and gas to practices and meets. Wow-your free huh? Amazing! I need to move!!
I've never heard of having to rent books at a public school....but the other costs you listed are going to occur pretty much everywhere.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:29 PM

20 posts, read 47,800 times
???? I'm in high school and it's free because it's a public high school. I also take dual enrollment classes at MDC. Those are free too because of the dual enrollment; I also get free books. But that's only for dual enrollment. However, at MDC, it's a "free" school in a way because there is a lot of subsidized financial aid for all students. Some students use that financial aid for their rent and food instead of their books, though.:/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami