U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 06:00 PM

5,119 posts, read 3,981,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
You're right. I re-read my post and I sounded a bit like an ass. I was also way off-topic. UM and FIU are fine schools. I guess I sometimes lose focus on the more cultural things (museums, art galleries, etc). I just see so much 'thug culture' all around Miami, that I lose focus that there is an orchestra and some decent art galleries around.
I truly agree with you,.
Where i live the 'thug culture' isn't as big as in certain areas like liberty city/miami beach/carol city.
I'm in kendall, .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,103,566 times
Quote:
You're right. I re-read my post and I sounded a bit like an ass. I was also way off-topic. UM and FIU are fine schools.
Don't be too hard on yourself. The OP actually DID ask for both good and bad input at the end of the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcassin View Post
I'd be looking to live on the coast or quite near perhaps Miami Beach or South Beach - what are the good and bad things about living in this area?
Only a fool would just ask for one side of the story about a place they were seriously considering living. There is always a good for a bad and vice versa. It is always a good thing to be able to see the the big picture.

Quote:
I guess I sometimes lose focus on the more cultural things (museums, art galleries, etc). I just see so much 'thug culture' all around Miami, that I lose focus that there is an orchestra and some decent art galleries around.
It does sometimes seem like the overwhelming majority of Miami residents don't even know what an orchestra is, let alone want to go see it. To me that was always very sad, just like the lack of appreciation for what little history the area has preserved. Maybe with the new performing arts center, people will wake up and appreciate more of what the city has to offer, maybe purge some of that 'thug culture' if they are exposed to something new.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:41 PM

2,258 posts, read 2,555,001 times
why is "culture" always measured in museums, orchestras and other such elite pre occupations? I spent most of my adult life in rural upper Michigan and I guarantee I was immersed in culture as unique and rich as you would find in bahstin, ny, sf or Miami. My wife is from the Philippines and here again my environment is saturated in diverse culture.

Hell im finding culture in my new city of Indianapolis and Its considered a very culturally bland place with "Chicago envy"

pft

my lasting impression of Chicago was the stench of rancid dumpsters and breakneck traffic. Culture can be very defined or vast in scope. Hock up a lugey and spit it into a petri dish

"culture"

Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 AM

14,450 posts, read 12,810,361 times
Hey, I'll come and give some input on the city, and of course it is positive

First off I feel there is not a better place in the USA, no matter where you go you will hear different languages and see about every kind of person that exists. You'll get a chance to meet travelers from all around the world and learn more about their country.

The weather here is amazing if you like the hot weather, even the winter, although its a bit chilly on days are still nice especially if you are coming from somewhere with cold winters. Depending on where you are, the city has so many nice things to it, it has amazing beaches, huge buildings and is quite clean looking compared to other cities. Another great thing to note is the quality of air here.

I'm going to be murdered for this reason, but I think another great thing about Miami is the people who live here. Everywhere I go, whether it be my usual parking garage, publix or the gas station I'm always greeted with a smile and everybody is always very friendly with me. If you are a friendly person and simply know how to smile you will be able to enjoy being around the many different types of people that live here.

Depending how you drive is how much you will enjoy getting around here, but it is nice being able to triple the speed limit without a care in the world (because chances are you'll have people flying by you). Traffic at times can get frustrating if you are late, but for the most part isn't that bad. My only complaint is the fact of no free parking anywhere at any time, unless of course you are going to a hockey game

Check out the city before you come, because it isn't for everybody, but if you are open minded person then you'll be sure to love it here!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:56 AM

172 posts, read 349,614 times
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be coming to Miami in October 2009 for 2 weeks. I'll be staying down on South Beach. I have a busy year next year as I am planning on visiting all the places I want to live for a vacation. My first stop is San Francisco in february, New York in April, Chicago City in September and finally Miami in October.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 AM

221 posts, read 631,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcassin View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be coming to Miami in October 2009 for 2 weeks. I'll be staying down on South Beach. I have a busy year next year as I am planning on visiting all the places I want to live for a vacation. My first stop is San Francisco in february, New York in April, Chicago City in September and finally Miami in October.
are those the other choices?

I would live in San Francisco or Chicago... NY is cool but too nuts...

Old 10-29-2008, 01:20 PM

710 posts, read 1,459,418 times
Quote:
You're right. I re-read my post and I sounded a bit like an ass. I was also way off-topic. UM and FIU are fine schools. I guess I sometimes lose focus on the more cultural things (museums, art galleries, etc). I just see so much 'thug culture' all around Miami, that I lose focus that there is an orchestra and some decent art galleries around.
I'd add Miami City Ballet may not be "world-class" but is just about the best smaller comapny in the US.
Miami is more event oriented; Art Basel, Book Fair (in 2 weeks!), Food & Wine Festival ARE world-class cultural events even if the city as a whole doesn't quite make it.

Enjoy you're "tour" sjcassin -- sounds like a great adventure!
You picked some great and VERY different cities to consider, I'm sure you'll find the right combuination of qualites vs negatives for yourself somewhere.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 11,012,978 times
Quote:
Miami is the least cultured place I have ever lived in. No top universities, world class musuems, or a decent orchestra. Also, Miami has one of the lowest high school graduation rates in the country, it's really pathetic. Couple that with a very low percentage of people who have a 4 year degree, very sad.

If you want culture, go to Boston, San Francisco, or New York City.
You know, Boston, SF & NY do have culture, so does Miami. It's just a different culture. Actually all of these cities have unique cultures. They are just not all measured with the same yardstick.

Not everybody has to have a college degree. Bill Gates didn't have one. If a degree was a pre-requisite to living in a city who would clean windows, cut the lawn, paint buildings, grow vegetables, fix a car, etc. etc.?

Oh and UM is #41 in the country. Not too shabby.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:41 PM

598 posts, read 1,367,606 times
So, I don't think Miami is a great place to live at all but here are the positives:

-Great food
-Great coffee (had to be it's own category)
-Great shopping, and some pretty good deals too
-the beach
-beautiful people
-no winter
-some of the best clubs in the country
-great radio stations

Old 10-30-2008, 06:07 AM

172 posts, read 349,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
are those the other choices?

I would live in San Francisco or Chicago... NY is cool but too nuts...

Yes these are the other choices at the moment. There may be additions to this and I may remove some. I'm contemplating taking out Chicago because I've heard it gets seriously windy there ( I'm not a fan of wind ) so we'll see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami