U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:24 AM

221 posts, read 612,980 times
Glad we can help...

There are a ton of great places to rent...

If you like art, First Friday is a walking tour of all the art galleries in the area... They serve wine and cheese and some have entertainment...Cool way to meet your neighbors...

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 PM

95 posts, read 315,103 times
Thanks for the nice tip Spiderman! Can wait to be there!

Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM

34 posts, read 42,171 times
Default renting in coral gables

My husbands job is relocating us to coral gables in 2009 and know nothing of the area, we've never actually been there. I only know what I can find on the internet and needs some help interpreting. We have two small children 3 and 6 months, and are looking for something to rent. Would prefer a condo or house but depending on price may be limited. We are looking for the typical famiy house. Safely is a major issue as my husband works late hours. My daughter will be starting school soon so schools would also be important. We are moving from the midwest and are a little hesitant about the move because we have no information. Are there any areas that would be a good fit for a rental?? And please be specific with names and address, if you can, I am VERY unfamiliar to the area. thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM

106 posts, read 295,765 times
Default "Latin Manhattan"

Just FYI, this is not NYC and never will be so don't expect great public infrastructure...

_________"Latin Manhattan"__________!!!!!

My second year in Mehammy, I lived within walking distance to Miracle Mile, South on Ponce (SW of the Courthouse) in a rental house. It was a great, quite location, and there is a library and park back there. Also Coral Gables golf course where a lot of people jog and bike around the mellow/wealthy neighborhoods.

I never would have made it otherwise.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:48 PM

106 posts, read 295,765 times
Real quick, if you look on Google Maps or what ever; this area would lie between the Biltmore and downtown Coral Gables for rental residences. That being said, have you done your home work on schools!

Also - Key Biscayne (island) is a great community, due East off of downtown Miami. Probably much better schools.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:56 PM

12 posts, read 24,307 times
I personally find little to shop for around Miracle Mile--except for books (wonderful Books & Books independent bookstore)...it's mainly bridal shops and jewelry stores; and of course tons of restaurants--which would remind you of NYC.

Merrick Park is a bit more practical with Borders & Nordstrom, which I like hitting specially on sale dates....

But for true pragmatism, I would go to South Miami (Sunset) or the Grove....haven't you considered the condos in the Grove facing the water? The park is right there, the mall and side streets, and if you decide to stick it out, a wonderful private Episcopalian elementary school.

I don't live in the Grove, but live in South Gables, a mile from the Grove and a couple from Sunset, and the truth is that we drive a lot, but we also bike a lot....to the pharmacy, Startbucks, Matheson Beach and Fairchild Botanical Gardens (just a couple of miles away).

So you can walk, bike in other parts of town too!

p.s. think of park space...not too nice in either near Miracle Mile nor Merrick Park.... in our area, we have Hardee and Merrie Christmas Park, both nice with the little ones...

Old 12-07-2008, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,017 times
I have lived in South Miami (right down the street from Sunset), Coral Gables (right off Riveria and literally down the street to Merrick Mall) and North Grove (across the street from Bayshore/Monty's).

I know exactly the area you are referring to. It is my personal opinion that unless you live right down the street from Sunset Mall or downtown Gables you will never "walk" anywhere. 1) Everyone drives here, even if it's to drive down the street 2) If you are on the east side of US1 you'll never want to cross it on foot and 3) the weather here usually doesn't entice people to walk if it's not necessary.
Miami (with the exception of SoBe) is not a walking city. It's suburban sprawl at it's best with a terrible public transit system.

As far as the neighborhood goes, the one you mentioned is perfectly safe and should serve nicely as your first Miami experience.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 PM

13 posts, read 50,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
I lived in Coral Gables, 6 blocks from Miracle Mile for over 30 years - and would not hesitate to move back !

I would NOT consider moving to the Village of Merrick Park because it is very, very close to a ghetto area, outside Coral Gables.

Also, the north end of Gables is almost 100% apartment buildings, so if that's your cup-of-tea, check it out ....... also within walking distance to Miracle Mile if you are a good walker !

This is beyond the truth. Village of Merrick Park is no way close to anything ghetto. If you are trying to disclose Coconut Grove it is like a couple of miles from this location. The Village of Merrick Park is the safest you will come to gated apartments in Coral Gables and well worth the price.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:00 PM
sfq

3 posts, read 5,586 times
My wife and I recently moved to the Grove from London, before that NYC, and have a very young child (3 months-had him since we moved here). While I couldn't say anything bad about Coral Gables and the area around the Miracle Mile, I feel like the Grove has more to offer for a young family. Merrick Park is very nice, but there's not much there other than the mall-it's great if you're working out at Equinox, but other than that, it's not much of an everyday place you're going to walk around with a stroller. Also, keep in mind that you are moving to a driving city and things are not going to be like NYC (I didn't have a car for almost 10 years before we moved here). When we were first looking, we only would look at things within walking distance of the the Grove downtown area, but realized that people here simply drive, everywhere.

Back to the Grove vs. the Gables: the Grove is just more laid back than the CG with more places to just sit outside, have a coffee/meal/drink and not have to be dressed up for it. Like I said, I lived in NYC and London where you have to get dressed up all of the time, and it's been nice to go to the Grove village and just wear flip flops and shorts and not feel out of place. I always feel the Gables is much stuffier. Like I said, nothing wrong whatsoever with the Gables, but I feel like the Grove is much more friendly just to walk around in a lazy way, and my wife has loved it with a young child. There are also a fair amount of nice parks in the Grove-don't know about the Gables.

One big caveat with the Grove: the North Grove and South Grove are nice and safe, but do not move to the West Grove. It is not safe. There have been a fair amount of new condos built there in the last few years, trying to push into the bad areas, but the economy has faltered and those condos are in bad areas and it's not getting better anytime soon. Gorgeous places, newly built, huge and cheap compared to something in NYC, but it's not safe. You'll just be able to see when you drive around with a realtor. The South Grove is great, but it's more expensive. The North Grove (where we live), basically north of SW 27th Ave, east of US 1 and south of somewhere around Mercy Hospital, is nice and safe, full of young families, and slightly more affordable than the South Grove.

Good luck. Feel free to ask more questions if you're still interested.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,982 times
Default Similar Situation

Hello Sun&Sea,

My husband MAY have a job opportunity in Miami and we as well live in the NYC area and have a 5 month old daughter. I see that you will be moving there this summer...Have you found an area to live yet? Im not 100% set on agreeing to move and I thought any help/suggestions you may have on where to live would ease my mind a little bit about the thought of moving so far. We are looking to rent for 6 months-1year until we find the area in which we want to buy.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun&Sea View Post
Ok, Planetsurf, now I got it! Thanks for the info!

You are right, we lean towards a gated community type of place, so we would feel "safer" having a doorman or something similar.

So I guess the only option left for us are those condos at and around the Miracle Mile area, which combine walking distance (to some stuff) with gated entrances. The good news is that there seem to be some nice options of rental places around that area...

Thanks again, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami