U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:42 AM

78 posts, read 198,749 times

Advertisements

I see the homes in opa locka are inexspensive. What's the deal? Is this due to proximity,crime,dirtiness, or a combination of these?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 11:58 AM

149 posts, read 371,410 times
Yes. It is as bad as they say it is. And those that read my posts, know that I often defend bad neighborhoods.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,693,871 times
It's among the worst the entire state has to offer.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM

23 posts, read 38,648 times
Default Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
I see the homes in opa locka are inexspensive. What's the deal? Is this due to proximity,crime,dirtiness, or a combination of these?

Opa Locka has a lot of crime and is one of those people were you wanna lock your doors, cars and not walk at night. If you find a cheap area in Miami ask yourself why. Miami's best areas are not cheap!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:15 AM

5,125 posts, read 4,019,182 times
Yes it's bad.

my stepdad use to live there, and it gets crazy.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:27 PM

428 posts, read 824,901 times
Yes its really bad. Scary and almost third worldish.

However, to its defense I once drove around the area and some parts had lots of trees and nature.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,417,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portorro View Post
Yes its really bad. Scary and almost third worldish.

However, to its defense I once drove around the area and some parts had lots of trees and nature.
There are a lot of predators lurking in that lush forest. They come out at night and scare people driving in areas without street lights....

Just keep your windows rolled up and drive on through, then they can't steal your car or try to sell drugs to you...

Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,530,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post

Just keep your windows rolled up and drive on through, then they can't steal your car
Carjacking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just don't go there. If you feel like seeing a South Florida ghetto at night, check out Carver Ranches in nearby Broward County. Just seedy enough to be fun but just safe enough to make it out alive.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 11-10-2008 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,799,633 times
I recommend driving in Opa locka at 2am in a Lexus and a fat wallet in your pocket.

Make sure you stop at all the red lights and keep your windows down as to hear all the nature sounds.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:17 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,135,796 times
Sadly, yes, Opa Locka is one of the most crime-ridden cities in FL, if not the entire country.

My mother grew up there and my grandparents lived in the same house for over 40 years. The place really started going downhill probably in the mid-80s. The last time I was at my grandparents' house before it was sold was about 7-8 years ago and I no longer felt safe going there, even during the day.

It ended up being one of the last areas with housing that was affordable for lower-middle class families, and eventually just lower-income families. Most of the houses are smaller, built in the 1930s and 40s.

It is truly sad because this city used to be a typical American suburb, yet it was built on a vision based on the Arabian Nights. While many of the houses are typical of the time period, it also has the largest collection of Moorish architecture in the western hemisphere (which includes the city hall). My mother and grandparents would tell me how all of their neighbors knew each other, and everyone at the local businesses used to know their customers. This is so far from what it has become. Maybe someday it will be a safe community for lower-middle and middle-class families again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami