U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM

710 posts, read 1,468,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsb1 View Post
Thanks for the replies...
I don't know what real/un-real Miami is but I will admit that I never left Miami Beach. At the same time I did not just hang out in the "touristy" spots. I went to a few random dive bars (Deuce), house parties, etc... and found the people to be really friendly...I will also admit that I thought some of them were "on something" so that may explain it...haha
I find most of the people, most of the time in the metro Miami area to be perfectly reasonable and friendly whether they're on some thing or not -- not too different than Boston.

One thing that is VERY noticably different than Boston in particular (other than the weather) is that Boston is a VERY smart city (lumping Cambridge in there of course). Miami is NOT.

Another slight negative I thought of.
Good luck.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:13 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,693,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post
You're right, so is living in Coconut Grove VS Opa Locka or Coral Gables VS Homestead or Pinecrest VS Westchester.
That's one of the great things about Miami IMO, there are very distinct areas with very different flavors for different tastes.

The CITY of Miami and Miami Beach both make up the METRO Miami area (as do all the other cities I mentioned) and can and should be lumped together when talking about the general Miami "vibe." OF COURSE there are differences within pockets, but to suggest they didn't meet "rude" people b/c they weren't in the REAL Miami is crazy IMO.
In terms of "vibes" I don't get the same vibe from Miami Beach as the city of Miami. They are separate cities that are quite unique from each other. If someone was looking for a family friendly area then it would be awfully wrong to just lump both together as one is more appropriate for that then another. You even said Dade is quite diverse, so it's wrong to just say every city in Dade is just Miami.

And where did I mention rude people?

I do see some of your other points about the posters that constantly complain, but I think it's good to hear everyone's views on subjects... people usually have a predetermined idea of an area before seeing it in person, that's why traveling and getting ideas from everyone is so important. All advice is good and well, but the only way to know for sure is to give it a try yourself.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:28 PM

416 posts, read 1,111,362 times
Quote:
I spent the last week in Miami, FL on South Beach and have fallen in love with it. The weather is amazing, people are friendly, laid back, plenty of outdoor lounges and dining, beautiful people and fashion. Real estate is dirt cheap and I just found out my employer is planning on opening an office there so work would be no problem.
I am 26, single, and enjoy going out to lounges, bars, museums, theatre, and live music shows. In Boston I live downtown and enjoy being in the "middle of it all."
I wouldn't even bother typing this post if I wasn't concerned about the summer heat and the hurricane season. Can someone give me some idea of what it's like?
Anyone move there from Boston and have advice? Regrets?

What area's do young professionals usually live?

Thanks!

RSB
I made the exact move this past summer. When I lived in the Boston area, I lived in Cambridgeport and Brighton. When I moved down here, I decided to live in Aventura, which about 10 miles north of downtown Miami. I want to move out of Aventura ASAP and move somewhere on Miami Beach.

As a young professional, I would highly recommend living on Miami Beach, either South Beach, Mid-Beach, or North Beach. Don't waste your time looking inland (Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Downtown), go for the beach. Also, Miami Beach is the only area that is walkable.

It's definitely a big change from Boston, so be prepared. Brush up on your espanol and your self defense, you'll need it. Also, in contrast to what other say, people in Miami are much friendlier than Boston. Also, drivers are much better down here than in Boston.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:31 PM

710 posts, read 1,468,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
In terms of "vibes" I don't get the same vibe from Miami Beach as the city of Miami. They are separate cities that are quite unique from each other. If someone was looking for a family friendly area then it would be awfully wrong to just lump both together as one is more appropriate for that then another. You even said Dade is quite diverse, so it's wrong to just say every city in Dade is just Miami.

And where did I mention rude people?

I do see some of your other points about the posters that constantly complain, but I think it's good to hear everyone's views on subjects... people usually have a predetermined idea of an area before seeing it in person, that's why traveling and getting ideas from everyone is so important. All advice is good and well, but the only way to know for sure is to give it a try yourself.
OMG!!! This is my last post on the subject as I don't think you're getting me and it isn't furthering the original post.

I believe ALL opinions are GREAT!!! Positive and negative. ESPECIALLY when they are based on EXPERIENCE and not "myth." Really.
But that isn't what I was talking about.
The specific negative I was discussing is that MANY people, both posting AND in real life, have predetermined ideas, usually negative, about Miami (usually METRO and not CITY) and try to push those ideas on ME without listening to MY opinion and experiences.

EVERY city in Miami-Dade County (well, most) is part of the METRO area of Miami. M-E-T-R-O
When MOST people discuss the generalities of Miami, that's what they are talking about, NOT the CITY of Miami. The CITY is actually a fairly small part of the METRO area. OF COURSE there are subtle but real differences within there, just as there are between Harlem, Upper East Side, Chelsea or Chinatown in Manhattan.
I don't find THAT big a difference between the beach and the mainland. If you do, GREAT, but they ARE both part of the METRO area. OF COURSE, as I posted, agree that different parts of Miami have different flavors. If someone got ripped off in Opa Locka or raises their kids in Pinecrest or found friendly people on the beach, all are valid experiences that happened in Miami (again, metro, not city).
And anyway, as I think you'd agree, any difference is EXACTLY the type of diversity that is nice -- you can USUALLY find a part of MIAMI that suits you specifically.

Hope that helps explain my position.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-10-2008 at 04:55 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 04:53 PM

428 posts, read 824,901 times
Friendly people? Maybe a bus load of foreing tourists.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,135,796 times
You should definitely come down and try things out. Living on Miami Beach for someone in your situation would be a lot of fun. The fact is that no one here can tell you what you will and will not like about the area because it is all completely subjective. Yes, it is really hot and humid for the majority of the year. Yes, hurricanes are a reality that Miamians sometimes have to deal with. Will the other qualities of Miami make dealing with those detracting factors worth it to you? No one here or anywhere else can tell you that - it's all individual.

I dated a guy who moved to Miami from the Boston area. He really liked it for the first few years, but eventually decided it wasn't his thing. I know other people who live there and would never leave. No one can tell you whether or not you're going to like it, just go for it and see for yourself. At this point in your life you might as well try some different things to find out what works the best for you.

I see that my comment on another thread was taken to the extreme, but after spending 26 years of my life in metro Miami, I feel that I am qualified to speak from my own experience (not to mention I have seen lots of other posters mention the exact same concept and no one gets their panties in a wad about it. Hm. ). I grew up in Kendall (where my parents still live) and also lived where South Miami and Coral Gables come together by Sunset Place. I feel that I have a pretty good feel for the Miami area and Miami Beach, having spent a lot of my free time there. I've spent plenty of time in Opa Locka as well, since that is where my mother grew up and my grandparents lived in the same house for many years, even after the city ran itself into the ground. I think I have some pretty varied experiences to draw from when I speak about the area.

To me, Miami Beach has a completely different vibe than "Miami". Not only is it very touristy even in non-tourist areas, it is run differently (different local government), has different architecture, and you'll generally find different types of residents than you will find in many other parts of metro Miami. You will definitely find a very diverse cross section of people in MB, because it draws tourists from around the world as well as people who own second homes there. It is a HUGE tourist attraction, people are going to cater to that fact, and if they don't then they are idiots since that is what the local economy relies so heavily upon. I'm not saying that rude people don't exist in MB or that they only exist on the mainland, because that is obviously absurd. But you will find people who are trying harder to milk the tourists on MB, as they should be, and thus customer service, etc. theoretically should be top notch there.

rsb1, based on what the OP has said, I think s/he will enjoy Miami Beach, but that is not to say that there isn't somewhere on the mainland that might be suitable as well. I can't speak for anyone but myself, so just go for it!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:24 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,417,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Rude people stays within the confines of where there are Hispanics and other Cubans (yes, that was intentionally said that way).
What do you mean? Why am I always accosted whenever I mention anything remotely critical about Hispanics, latin culture, cars on front lawns, etc. ?

Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM

8,376 posts, read 20,530,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
What do you mean? Why am I always accosted whenever I mention anything remotely critical about Hispanics, latin culture, cars on front lawns, etc. ?
I wasn't calling anyone in particular out at all. I actually like reading your posts, I think their funny and yes there are some truths.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:24 PM

4,160 posts, read 4,651,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowGoesIt View Post
I made the exact move this past summer. When I lived in the Boston area, I lived in Cambridgeport and Brighton. When I moved down here, I decided to live in Aventura, which about 10 miles north of downtown Miami. I want to move out of Aventura ASAP and move somewhere on Miami Beach.

As a young professional, I would highly recommend living on Miami Beach, either South Beach, Mid-Beach, or North Beach. Don't waste your time looking inland (Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Downtown), go for the beach. Also, Miami Beach is the only area that is walkable.

It's definitely a big change from Boston, so be prepared. Brush up on your espanol and your self defense, you'll need it. Also, in contrast to what other say, people in Miami are much friendlier than Boston. Also, drivers are much better down here than in Boston.
Dude, I SOOO told you so! Didn't I tell you? What did I say? Bring your happy self to South Beach, skip the rest - didn't I say that? LOL!

RSB, HowGOEsIT is hitting the nail on the head. I lived in SoBe for 3 crazy years and BOS for 15. North Beach if you want things a little quieter, South Beach if you want the mania. As you have found, people in Miami Beach are extremely outgoing. After a while, you'll find that to be good and bad. Yes, crime is significantly higher in MIA but still worth the fun. And live on the Beach, not the mainland, at least not at first. My suggestion to live on MB to you is like recommending someone new to BOS live in Back Bay rather than DOT. MB like BB is a guaranteed good time. MIA is like DOT - it has plenty of decent spots but you need to know where you are going at first, you can't just guess.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 PM

23 posts, read 38,648 times
Quote:
I spent the last week in Miami, FL on South Beach and have fallen in love with it. The weather is amazing, people are friendly, laid back, plenty of outdoor lounges and dining, beautiful people and fashion. Real estate is dirt cheap and I just found out my employer is planning on opening an office there so work would be no problem.
I am 26, single, and enjoy going out to lounges, bars, museums, theatre, and live music shows. In Boston I live downtown and enjoy being in the "middle of it all."
I wouldn't even bother typing this post if I wasn't concerned about the summer heat and the hurricane season. Can someone give me some idea of what it's like?
Anyone move there from Boston and have advice? Regrets?

What area's do young professionals usually live?

Thanks!

RSB

People in Miami friendly? Maybe the tourists!. I personally don't like Miami although I have been here almost all my life. I am planning to move out of here as soon as possible. I would give you advice but is all based on my own personal opinion. Miami has some of the most rude people there are you can even google this, is also one of the worse places for young professionals, sometimes the weather is nice but is usually real humid but overall the weather is decent, the sky is not grey like in some cities! Don't expect people here to be nice and smile at you because most people don't. For most jobs they want you to be bilingual. The living is real expensive not New York expensive but expensive.

If you loved it then come to visit for like 2 weeks before moving or if you are decided then move, remember noone can make decisions for you only yourself. I know someone from Miami who went to study in Boston and has all their family here and she does not want to come back to Miami, so some people like it and others don't. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami