Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:15 PM

170 posts, read 449,486 times

Advertisements

We have a house in Naranja and it has been broken into several times in recent years. None of our neighbors have been broken into. Well, one got her rocking chairs stolen off her front porch but nobody broke into her house. Now she has a fence. In fact, all my neighbors have fences. So we want to put a fence around our house.

Now, here's my question: I saw a chainlink fence around a building with barb wire on top. It was spiral barb wire, like a prison has, ya know? Is it legal to put a fence like that around my house? If so, where can I get one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 08:11 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,116,397 times
They are illegal in residential areas and the maximum height for a fence is 6 feet I believe (in unicorporated Miami Dade). Check with Team Metro to be sure or 311.

I think getting a yard dog would be the best deterrent...in addition to a masonry wall/or gate/or fence.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 PM

Thanks Chel. I will contact them.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:27 PM

I'm not living in the Naranja house now. My brother checks on it though. The last time I was there, somebody tried to break in in broad daylight with my car out front and with me in the house! I called the cops but the culprit left before they got there. He tried to break in the back door but the door was really 2 doors together. He broke through the first door only to find that he had another door to break through. lol. So he left. I guess he was tired.

Anyway, I want to go back down there and live but I need a fence first. Otherwise I'd never feel comfy.

I have a lemon tree that I planted from a seed that I want to plant it in the yard. Do you think a lemon tree would thrive in that area? I know lime trees do.

Old 02-23-2007, 06:37 PM

355 posts, read 1,581,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migsly View Post
I'm not living in the Naranja house now. My brother checks on it though. The last time I was there, somebody tried to break in in broad daylight with my car out front and with me in the house! I called the cops but the culprit left before they got there. He tried to break in the back door but the door was really 2 doors together. He broke through the first door only to find that he had another door to break through. lol. So he left. I guess he was tired.

Anyway, I want to go back down there and live but I need a fence first. Otherwise I'd never feel comfy.

I have a lemon tree that I planted from a seed that I want to plant it in the yard. Do you think a lemon tree would thrive in that area? I know lime trees do.
I think when you grow citrus from seed there is more chance of a sour fruit.

My husband says they will grow in sandy soil. He had one growing up in Carol City. I know when I lived in Hialeah there was a lemon tree in the neighborhood, too. Good luck. Looking to plant some citrus in my yard as well (here in Broward). Have a loquat tree, hoping for fruit this year!

Last edited by lauralei2; 02-23-2007 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-23-2007, 07:07 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,116,397 times
I always wondered what the difference was between lemons and limes. I think Lemons are bigger and yellower? Not really sure though.

Citrus are now allowed to be planted in Dade county again..the quarentine is over. Most citrus does well here...so if you fertilize your tree it should do fine.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 PM

183 posts, read 567,048 times
Quote:
We have a house in Naranja and it has been broken into several times in recent years. None of our neighbors have been broken into. Well, one got her rocking chairs stolen off her front porch but nobody broke into her house. Now she has a fence. In fact, all my neighbors have fences. So we want to put a fence around our house.

Now, here's my question: I saw a chainlink fence around a building with barb wire on top. It was spiral barb wire, like a prison has, ya know? Is it legal to put a fence like that around my house? If so, where can I get one?
I'm a great believer in electronic devices, and the best thing you can have is alarms on your windows and doors that sound inside, and outside for the neighbors to hear. Add to that motion sensors that will trigger an alarm within ten feet of the house. No intruder wants to be discovered, he'll run away.
Home invasion would go way down if more people would wire their houses. Even when the house down the street gets burglarized, people will be scared for a week, but they will not do anything to protect their home.
And even if you have a twelve gauge handy, you'll not know that someone is in your house, until he is standing over your bed with a pistol pointed at you. Meanwhile, Fido might be gone to visit his girlfriend, or gone somewhere to hide with mace in his eyes. Get wired.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Hi Lauralie. I have a loquat tree already in the yard in Naranja. It's really big. And it bares really tasty fruit. In fact, it should be covered with them right now. It usually fruits in February.

Yeah, a lemon is yellow Chel. A lime is green. I think limes are more bitter and can stand the cold better.

Your husband is right Lauralie. I mean, I read that lemon trees do well in sandy soil.

Hey Tjam. Is wiring the house cheaper than a fence?

Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 PM

355 posts, read 1,581,383 times
Quote:
Hi Lauralie. I have a loquat tree already in the yard in Naranja. It's really big. And it bares really tasty fruit. In fact, it should be covered with them right now. It usually fruits in February.

Yeah, a lemon is yellow Chel. A lime is green. I think limes are more bitter and can stand the cold better.

Your husband is right Lauralie. I mean, I read that lemon trees do well in sandy soil.

Hey Tjam. Is wiring the house cheaper than a fence?
Well, I will hope than for fruit possibly next year. We planted the tree 2 yrs ago and it is about 9 ft tall now. Really beautiful. No blossoms yet.

Thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:14 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,396,039 times
There is a silent alarm by a company called Sonotrol. It's good because when the crooks trigger the motion sensors, the alarm company is able to hear whats going on. Since it's a silent alarm, it gets dispatched right away unlike a regular burglar alarm. You could have the panel and sensors hidden so the crooks don't even know that there was an alarm triggered. By the time they realize it, they are busted.
If you are home and someone breaks in, there is no better deterent than the sound of a 12 guage shotgun racking a round in the chamber. It also has a good spread pattern for the bad shooters. Some fences will just keep the police out and the crooks in. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami