U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 12-17-2010, 05:30 PM

934 posts, read 397,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
Actually, Spanish people (Iberians) and French are whiter than any other Southern Europeans. Most white Cubans (not the mulattoes) in Miami are whiter than most Italians, Portuguese, and Greeks.
Probably because quite a few are descended from other European ethnic groups (e.g. Germans). Steven Bauer being a classic example.

Unread 12-17-2010, 05:43 PM

4,713 posts, read 4,044,433 times
Steven Bauer might have some German ancestry but he obviously doesn't look like one. Cubans of Spanish descent, which are the majority of whites in Cuba, tend to be whiter than most southern Europeans. Again, not counting the mulattoes or mestizos.

Unread 12-18-2010, 06:23 AM

2,194 posts, read 4,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
That's what I noticed in Miami as well. I'm blond white american guy. But spending time in Miami, I thought most of Miami looked very 'white'.

But 'white' in a good way! I mean, knew how to dress well, have a nice appearance, easy going, etc. They just happened to know Spanish as well.
Wow, there is so much "fail" in this post!

To the OP: Miami is NOT New York. NYC may be a big city, but the majority of the people there are of White-American decent. This is not the case in Miami. Also the vast majority of Hispanics in Miami are of either Cuban or South American decent. So there aren't really "Cuban" hang-outs; Cuban are everywhere and Cuban culture infiltrates many places.....from dive bars to the most exclusive clubs.

It is so laughable to see how some White people deal with having the tables turned and being a minority. Do you know how much criticism would come my way if I declared "I just want to hang around my own kind". Then I get blamed for being "a reverse racist"....or some foolishness like that. Other people have had the nerve to compliment me on how well I socialize with Whites....yeah. No further comment!

But whatever....just stick to South Beach. It's touristy enough to keep you in your imagined 'safe zone' (away from the 'dangerous' brown people).

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:05 AM

2,241 posts, read 2,117,588 times
Most Cubans and South Americans I know in Miami are from very recent European descent, others are mixed, just as New Yorkers.

You can be Cuban, Jamaican and South American and white.

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Steven Bauer might have some German ancestry but he obviously doesn't look like one. Cubans of Spanish descent, which are the majority of whites in Cuba, tend to be whiter than most southern Europeans. Again, not counting the mulattoes or mestizos.

-----

I know Steven Bauer, his name is Echevarria (Qué pasa USA). He's from Basque ancestry.

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Actually, Spanish people (Iberians) and French are whiter than any other Southern Europeans. Most white Cubans (not the mulattoes) in Miami are whiter than most Italians, Portuguese, and Greeks.
-----

Well, not really, they are all white but depending on the area you'll find more fair haired people.

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:47 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,634,140 times
Quote:

Steven Bauer's mom is Cuban of German ancestry .. his dad is Cuban . His real name is Esteban Echevarria ... was known in high school as Rocky Echevarria .. my wifes older sister dated him in high school back in the 70's in Westchester ... met him once ... nice guy .. I shot some pool with him at a party in Coral Gables ... at one time it was thought that he was destined to become a major star .. but substance abuse and bad career moves killed that ... I last saw him on an infomercial and he still does roles in B movies and straight to video stuff .. he was awesome in Scarface and a small role in Traffic with Michael Douglas .

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:49 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,634,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
-----

I know Steven Bauer, his name is Echevarria (Qué pasa USA). He's from Basque ancestry.

You got it ... I met his brother Ernie once on a flight from Miami - Dallas ... they grew up in Westchester where my wifes family is from and went to Coral Park High School .

Unread 12-18-2010, 07:58 AM

2,194 posts, read 4,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Most Cubans and South Americans I know in Miami are from very recent European descent, others are mixed, just as New Yorkers.

You can be Cuban, Jamaican and South American and white.
I'm not sure what "recent European descent" has to do with anything. I'm a first generation American (family is Jamaican), and I'm still 100% American (no remnants of Jamaican culture are with me).

White-Americans are (to clarify my definition) those who are non-Hispanic (from Spanish-speaking countries), of European/Russian ancestry, and born and raised here.

Unread 12-18-2010, 12:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 4,044,433 times
Yeah, his name is Echevarria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami