Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:57 PM

118 posts, read 219,293 times

Advertisements

Races in Cutler Ridge: * White Non-Hispanic (44.4%) * Hispanic (36.7%) * Black (15.7%) * Other race (4.8%) * Two or more races (3.8%) * Asian Indian (0.8%) * American Indian (0.6%) Profiles of local businesses: Tactical Protection Corp urban@261 Liapela Modern Baby Products David Amaro DDS City Flyers, LLC True Hoist organza hair designers inc Horizon Electrical, Inc. Races in Miami: * Hispanic (65.8%) * Black (22.3%) * White Non-Hispanic (11.8%) * Other race (5.4%) * Two or more races (4.7%) * American Indian (0.5%) (Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races) why so many in cutler ridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,689,073 times
Hispanic is not a race, it is a culture. We come in every color and shade. I am Cuban, and I consider myself White, caucasian.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:32 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,461,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Hispanic is not a race, it is a culture. We come in every color and shade. I am Cuban, and I consider myself White, caucasian.
very well said.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM

670 posts, read 1,734,716 times
They are always the same 3-4 people.
Jezz they are afraid.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:20 PM

42 posts, read 146,669 times
The answer to the question the OP placed is fairly simple. Born, raised and still living in relatively the same area of Miami all my life, it's easy to see what happened to the whites, and why and where they decided to stay in Miami. Excluding going way back to when even hialeah was white, lets stick to the areas around where the OP stated, like Cutler Bay ( Cutler Ridge ). The first white flight was from west kendall ( colonial ) area in the late 70's. It was due to black infiltration. The next wave were the latins-hispanics-cubans etc... that pushed down from the north. You could see as the years went by areas of Miller drive ad then sunset drive and then west kendall fall. However for many years east kendall, pinecrest, palmetto bay, and cutler ridge stayed relatively white. But it only takes time, and the constant trickle effect of more and more hispanics to penetrate those areas. Even now, its a constant slow decline of whites. I would say the highest population of whites left are in palmetto bay, gables by the sea, and north/east cutler bay.

What specifically did cutler bay in as far as white flight, was 2 parts. Hurricane Andrew, and within the last 5 years, the cookie cutter home construction that are almost entirely latin owned or rented.

The reason those areas are still relatively heavily white concentrated is simple. Ethnic groups tend to stick together, and massive infiltration has never really happened like other areas. As far as cutler bay is concerned, those folks are mainly working class people who own there business..ie carpenter, electrician, plumbers, landscapers, ac mechanics etc.... It is very hard and scary for those folks to pick up and leave their customers. However, many will have no choice soon. They bank heavily on white customers, bc they claim the hispanics dont hire them.

Anyways, thats my take on the OP's original question.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
South Miami still has a large concentration of whites. You can see them walking around almost any weekend or afternoon. Even "high pines" has a white majority. The increase or white Cubans and south Americans can be spotted by the tacky Mc Mansions or "improvements" they add to homes, as well as the elimination of trees.However, the majority of those affluent "hispanics" are indeed white.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,220,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
True that. I know of some Cubans who are very fair-skinned with blonde hair & blue eyes.

Old 12-28-2008, 04:13 PM

294 posts, read 1,144,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
IMHO all the contributors to this thread have been respectful and have expressed reality. Knowing the cultural background of an area could be of interest to anyone wanting to locate to the community -- some individuals would welcome the diversity, some would not. Facts, without prejudice are a valuable resource especially from those with personal knowledge.
Well said. Rep points for truth!

Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 AM

809 posts, read 2,307,257 times
Once again, go to the Brickell area, and continue north to the "upper east side" and all of that is quite white (non hispanic).

Old 01-02-2009, 06:51 PM

710 posts, read 2,225,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
True that. I know of some Cubans who are very fair-skinned with blonde hair & blue eyes.
My synagogue is obviously Jewish and .... 50% Hispanic!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami