Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 01:12 PM

46 posts, read 253,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Since I was in the USAF, I traveled through some unexpected places in the US.
Also, being somewhat curious about whether the grass was really greener in other pastures, I've ventured out to live in somewhat unexpected places for a typical Cuban from Miami.
It almost goes without saying that there were places that I went to live where I was the only Cuban around for many miles around.
Usually the makeup of these places was the same; predominately white non-hispanic above 90%
I was always received in a very friendly manner and I always earned respect by abiding to local customs and respecting others opinions.
Let me be clear, I've lived amongst Southern folks.
So, it gives me pause when I read some posts from a certain minority in the Miami forum as this goes against my experiences.
Could it really be that seeing so many successful, educated white Cubans in Miami gives this vocal minority in this forum a sense of inferiority?
only white cubans? what about your bros? It's hilarious man. I guess it's something unique to miami. You would get laughed at in nyc. Watch a movie called HANGIN WITH THE HOMEBOYS. It's got a classic scene where this rican guy acts like an italian. He is stopped by an itlaian ny cop who sets him straight. The older paisanos have name for people like that.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Are you Cubans jealous of us Anglos because everybody in America sees us as being White
You aren't Anglo. You've disclosed that you are of Italian and Polish ancestry. No "Anglo" there! One of my biggest problems is that when you state what you claim to be socially accepted constructions of the word "white," you selectively apply them as to achieve results you want. Is this because if you actually applied the definition of the word "white" that you so readily use ("white"="Anglo") you wouldn't be considered white by your own definition of the word? Just something to think about.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post
only white cubans? what about your bros? It's hilarious man. I guess it's something unique to miami. You would get laughed at in nyc. Watch a movie called HANGIN WITH THE HOMEBOYS. It's got a classic scene where this rican guy acts like an italian. He is stopped by an itlaian ny cop who sets him straight. The older paisanos have name for people like that.
Why would Jbrove "get laughed at in nyc"? I live in NYC and I don't understand what you mean.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,967,034 times
Quote:
You aren't Anglo. You've disclosed that you are of Italian and Polish ancestry. No "Anglo" there! One of my biggest problems is that when you state what you claim to be socially accepted constructions of the word "white," you selectively apply them as to achieve results you want. Is this because if you actually applied the definition of the word "white" that you so readily use ("white"="Anglo") you wouldn't be considered white by your own definition of the word? Just something to think about
And how many times do I have to repeat to you that the term Anglo in America today is applied to all White people of European descent who do not speak Spanish as a first language. I remember last time I was in Miami a Cuban woman told me "all of you White people look alike so you are all Anglos to me"

Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
And how many times do I have to repeat to you that the term Anglo in America today is applied to all White people of European descent who do not speak Spanish as a first language. I remember last time I was in Miami a Cuban woman told me "all of you White people look alike so you are all Anglos to me"
Most of my childhood friends born to "Hispanic" parents speak English as their first language, and all of them speak English as their preferred language. So are they "Anglo" too? (I'm just applying your definition of the word "Anglo")

And about that Cuban lady who called you "Anglo," Hispanics misuse that term as badly as "Anglos" themselves.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:42 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,698,512 times
I do agree that Cubans have a better educational background that the rest of the Hispanic population. We also have a higher income compared to them. However, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they envy us. I think it is closer to a dislike for the “better off” half brother, similar to a family where siblings usually feel intimidated by the smarter kid or somehow always hold a grouch against it. I think that might be a more accurate description. Envy.....well, it is a strong word, and maybe some other nationalities do feel it, but I don’t think it is a wide spread feeling.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:56 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italian23 View Post

I am not into the PC bull of race,ethnicity,etc I dont know what category I am in nor care but wanted to say that movie is great.

Real different type movie

Old 11-19-2008, 04:24 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
I'm Cuban so no, I'm not envious.

If there is someone here who is trying to not admit that there might be white Cubans in this world.........a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: