U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 AM

533 posts, read 1,030,550 times
Default Black Man in Hialeah or Little Havana

if I as an Black non-hispanic man were to move into Hialeah or Little Havana around all hispanic people, how would the people in these communities view it? Would it be something of significance for them to take notice of, or would I just be another new neighbor? If I decided to take a walk around the new neighborhood, could I do it without any problems?

Hypothetically speaking, If I were fluent in Spanish would this change the way I am viewed in any way?

And one quick add-on question. Which group has the largest number in Miami-Dade County: White hispanics or non-white hispanics?

Thanks for any responses.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 AM

3,369 posts, read 7,409,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
if I as an Black non-hispanic man were to move into Hialeah or Little Havana around all hispanic people, how would the people in these communities view it? Would it be something of significance for them to take notice of, or would I just be another new neighbor? If I decided to take a walk around the new neighborhood, could I do it without any problems?

Hypothetically speaking, If I were fluent in Spanish would this change the way I am viewed in any way?

And one quick add-on question. Which group has the largest number in Miami-Dade County: White hispanics or non-white hispanics?

Thanks for any responses.
Moving to an area of Miami-Dade that is overwhelmingly Hispanic would be presumably be a big change for you. You will probably hear more Spanish than you will English and you will likely not see many black people. Unfortunately, some Hispanic people are racist against black people. However, many are not racist against black people at all. With that said, knowing some Spanish will give you an advantage, as it will be an unexpected surprise to many people you encounter.

The majority of Hispanics in Miami-Dade are white. Some are mestizo(mixed white and Amerindian) and some are mulatto (mixed white and black), but very few are black. This is part of the reason why people will be so pleasantly surprised if you, as a black person, can speak some Spanish. If you live in a normal, middle class area that is majority Hispanic you should have few to no problems. Let me know if you have any more questions, and best of luck if you move to Miami-Dade.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 PM

483 posts, read 1,025,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
Moving into these areas would be noticed by some and just a new neighbor to some. In Hialeah the black population is not very large but african americans are common all over the city because the surrounding area so it would be nothing in work, while going shopping, or going out to eat.

Quote:
Probaly so, it would surely be a plus to be billingual in largely hispanic areas but its not a must I can assure you that much.

Quote:
Most of the hispanics in Dade County are white but thats really irrelevant cultures is what should be noted.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:35 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,641,715 times
Quote:
Most of the hispanics in Dade County are white but thats really irrelevant cultures is what should be noted
Billy O'Reilly referred to Miami as a majority Nonwhite city in his book " A Fresh Bold Piece Of Humanity". So obviously O'Reilly did not see a whole lot of Miami residents that he thought could easily pass for an Irish American like himself. Most Cubans would racially stick out like a sore thumb if you put them in the heavily Irish American suburb of Levittown, New York where Bill grew up at.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Oh god, Bill again.....
I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say he probaly means culturally because as much as I disagree and dislike the man I know he's not a total idiot. If not I can also respectfully disagree with the him, it won't be too unlikely that he's in the mindset of people like you.
Anyway, why use Bill 'O Reilly so much as an indicator for stuff!?!? A bit odd.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Most Cubans would racially stick out like a sore thumb if you put them in the heavily Irish American suburb of Levittown, New York where Bill grew up at.
37% of Cubans on the island of Cuba and 85% of Cubans and Cuban-Americans in the United States (this figure would be 90%+ if limited to South Florida alone) would not "racially stick out like a sore thumb" in Levittown, New York. Just Because Bill O'Reilly has the impression that the demographics of Cubans and Cuban-Americans are different than they are in reality doesn't mean that white Cubans are only more "non-white."

I will repeat to you until I'm blue in the face that being wrong in greater numbers doesn't make you any more right.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:44 PM

Huh? I don't know who that is, but I can tell you that most Cubans/Cubans-American in south Florida are much "whiter looking" than her. At least some mixing happened fairly recently in her family tree and that is not true for a great number of South Florida's Cubans and Cuban-Americans.

Additionally, to "easily be able to pass for an Irish American" is not the standard for being white. I know plenty of German, French, Spanish, Italian, and Greek Americans who don't look stereotypically Irish. Being able to visually pass as a native resident of a major European city is a better litmus test for "whiteness" than looking like an Irish-American. Even the litmus test I mention is flawed because most Norwegians don't look stereotypically Spanish, most Italians don't look stereotypically German, and most Greeks don't look stereotypically English. We don't need to set up silly tests like these because people of non-mixed or virtually non-mixed European ancestry are white, no matter what kind of restrictions you try to impose upon "whiteness."

Old 11-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Guess my wife isn't be white with your "standards", darn those greek and italian ancestors, no matter that her family has roots in ALABAMA! Atleast I fit your Irish looks standard level so that Bill O' Reilly can call me white, thank god!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami