U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 10,980 times
Default Safe Neighbourhood

Hi,
I will be relocating to Miami soon. I will be working in downtown and hence want to know what neighborhoods are safe to live with family.
I am ready to commute with train or bus and would prefer if there are any indians (asian) living in the neighbourhood.

Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 12:46 PM

710 posts, read 1,423,290 times
That's a pretty open ended-question.
Can you be more specific about how much $$ you want to spend, age of kids, commute time you're shooting for, type of neighborhood (urban, suburban, rural, beach, mixed), condo vs SFH, etc?

That would help some.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-21-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 11-25-2008, 02:42 PM

Thanks for responding... please find the details below
$$ you want to spend: between 700 to 1000
age of kids: 1 daughter of age 2 years
Commute time: max 45 mins (preferably by train)
type of neighborhood: Any, you suggest as safe and accessible by train
condo vs SFH: Looking for 1 bedroom apartment/house

Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,345,416 times
The Falls area of Kendall has some South Asians living there. If you need to commute to Downtown Miami for work, you will have a 8-10 minute drive to the Dadeland South Metrorail stop. The train from there takes you downtown in about 15-20 minutes. Although the neighborhood is mostly single family houses (that have 4 bedrooms and cost $2500+ to rent), there are a few apartment complexes off of SW 136th Street and SW 92nd Avenue near the Falls mall. One of them is called Village at the Falls. It is a nice complex and I imagine a 1 bedroom there would cost around $900/month. The Falls/East Kendall area is safe, pleasant, and has a lot of families living there.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:39 AM

710 posts, read 1,423,290 times
Let's see, you need Metrorail AND an apartment for $700-1000?
That seems a bit too low $-wise.

Agree with crisp444 here, try Kendall, also Dadeland area (NOT just Dadeland Station - prob too expensive). More hispanic but lots of modest rentals near there.

You can do the northern, less expensive part of Coral Gables too, but also pretty hispanic and it isn't the most family friendly (but it IS safe). Taking the trolley to the Metrorail station seems like 1 way to go from there.

Also, try S Miami, on or near Red Rd just south of downtown S Miami. One of the best parks for kids is near there (Dante Fascell) and it's a short drop-off to the train station.

Again that price point is a little low, but it is probably doable closer to $1000.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:09 PM

283 posts, read 740,091 times
Default Dadeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranturekar View Post
Thanks for responding... please find the details below
$$ you want to spend: between 700 to 1000
age of kids: 1 daughter of age 2 years
Commute time: max 45 mins (preferably by train)
type of neighborhood: Any, you suggest as safe and accessible by train
condo vs SFH: Looking for 1 bedroom apartment/house
I live in the Dadeland area very close to the Metrorail.
If you want to comminucate downtown, this is a very economical, doable and not to mention green way to do so.
This is a very good walkable area, safe for the family and plenty of restaurants etc. You will definitely find something here in your price range.
I would say your best bets would be
1.Waterside apts &
2. Townhomes of Kendall (not sure about the name but it is directly across Waterside.
These apts are safe, economical and just about the best location in the Dadeland/Kendall area putting you right at the intersection of US1/Kendall Dr(88thst) and the Palmetto.
Not to mention the MetroRail exactly across the street .
Next door you have a pharmacy(CVS) discount store(ROSS) and a bunch of restaurants down the road.
All very walkable if you want to avoid driving in the evenings.
As regards to Asians, I have spotted clans of Chinese and Indians, kids in tow, so I assume they are local.

Hope this was helpful
inDUHvidual

Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 PM

Thank you all for your feeback... planning to visit Waterside apts tomorrow

Old 11-28-2008, 11:00 AM

283 posts, read 740,091 times
Default dadeland apts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaranturekar View Post
Thank you all for your feeback... planning to visit Waterside apts tomorrow
Ask for "Jessica" . she is the property manage for Waterside apts
tel: 305-666-2545 and email: waterside@gannonintl.com

Just remembered- the one across from Waterside is called "Gardens of Pinecrest" and they have a "now leasing" sign outside

Another great resource is craigslist
Do a search for "dadeland" under miami, apts for rent and you may come up with some privately owned condo owners willing to rent

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Hi,
I visited Waterside today, but no one was there in the office. It didnt had a note saying today was holiday and I belive it was not as I asked few of the tenants who came by the pool, they said it was open in the morning... I waited for 45 mins and then left. Also it will be closed on Saturday & Sundays and on weekdays it is only open till 5 PM and I can visit only on weekends

On my way I also say "Gardens of Pinecrest" but they were closed for holiday. I will call them tomorrow and ask if they are open in weekends, If they are open I will go

There was another community next to the "Gardens of Pinecrest" (I dont remember the name) , it privately owned houses. At the office they had list of people who wanted to rent their apts. I called all and they all said that they had already rented someone. Then one of these renters gave me a number of a broker who showed me 3 houses in "Kings Creek". I like the one she showed me that was on "Camino Real" (name of the road). Please tell me know how the area is

I saw another appartment which was a sub-lease in "Village Apartments". It was fully furnished and the rent was $1250. Please also tell me how this area is

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:20 PM

3,369 posts, read 7,345,416 times
The neighborhood around Kings Creek is fine. It is a safe, nice area and you shouldn't have any problems with it. This is only a couple blocks west of Dadeland Mall where the metrorail station is.

If by "Village Apartments" that person means "Village at the Falls" (on SW 92nd Avenue near the Falls Mall), then yes, that is also a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami