Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,202 times

Advertisements

Sorry to butt in, but this is nonsense. It seems that the "pro-Miami" crowd in here are far more unpleasant than the (using Miami lingo) "haterz". The only insults I see thrown around are from people defending Miami which is doing nothing more than reinforcing Miami's negative stereotypes. I see the pro-Miami crowd hurling out 3rd grade insults, defending the reckless drivers, poking fun at someone for admitting they suffer from depression and being generally rude, unpleasant and obnoxious to the ninth power.

You know, for a place to attract so much harsh criticism, there has to be some truth to it. It's kind of like going to rottentomatoes.com and seeing that a particular movie only gets 15% ratings. In other words, if so many critics say that a movie sucks, chances are that it truly sucks.

BTW, I live in Miami and hate it. No, I am not depressed. I do not have any "issues" and I do not complain for the sake of complaining. I would leave, but I am unable to as of right now.

Many of your comments are so judgmental that it's not even funny. I have read many of the not so kind posts about Miami and none are wrong. It's not as if people are saying that crime is out of control and that there are too many Latins here. My own criticism of Miami is not directed at any race, but at Miamians in general and their selfish, shallow, narcissistic ways.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:21 AM

415 posts, read 650,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman34 View Post
Many of your comments are so judgmental that it's not even funny. I have read many of the not so kind posts about Miami and none are wrong. It's not as if people are saying that crime is out of control and that there are too many Latins here. My own criticism of Miami is not directed at any race, but at Miamians in general and their selfish, shallow, narcissistic ways.
You can't even make it out of a single paragraph without contradicting yourself.

Labeling people as selfish, shallow and narcissistic is JUDGMENTAL. Everyone is judgmental, it's just that when they are being judgmental they feel justified so it "different".

Old 06-20-2010, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 18,779 times
Yes i can say theres alot of crime in miami but theres crime everywhere i really think that alot of this crime will stop if the police was to do there job instead of trying to make there job easy for them[ example] a year ago a friend of mine went to jail for a muder lots of people no that he didnt do the muder but people are very afraid to talk because the guy that did the muder is in the gang the officers no deep in there heart that the guy they have didnt do this muder but to make things alot easy for them they just arrest the first person they can arrest just to make there job easy for them but if the police do there job here in miami alot of crime will be stop im not going to say all but most the police here is just as bad as the people the officers stays on the news just as much as the people here for doing a crime how could crime stop when you have law inforcement doing the crime also how could you want the robbing to stop when you just had a hialeah officer on the news for robbing a guy what kind of example are the law showing they are officers to stop the crime but there doing the crime i really think crime will not stop here in miami because even the law is doing the crime.

Last edited by sparkle123; 06-20-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 06:37 PM

183 posts, read 567,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1772 View Post
Agreed!

Oh please, cut the liberal BS, would you be so kind?

Miami is part of the US, there is nothing wrong with complaining that it sometimes fells like your not in the US.
I don't mind some hispanic influences, my neighbours are wealthy colombians and brazilians, and they're nice, but to be a majority of latinos... That isn't normal and people have the right to complain.
noboby has the right to complain if a city is majority black, majority hispanic/latino, or majority white. go somewhere else.
what if a city were majority gay. as a straight you would go somewhere else, right.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,194,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjam View Post
noboby has the right to complain if a city is majority black, majority hispanic/latino, or majority white. go somewhere else.
what if a city were majority gay. as a straight you would go somewhere else, right.
What if for some reason the person can't move? I assume he/she would have to stop complaining for something that can't be fixed.

but again this is a forum, they have all the right to let those feelings out of their chest. hummmmmmmmmmmmm

Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 AM

19 posts, read 49,972 times
I lived in South Beach for most of the 90s. I returned to South Florida in March. I am currently living in Oakland Park/Fort Lauderdale but found a job in Miami. I am anxious to move back into the city of Miami. It is so white bread in Fort Lauderdale. I am tired of seeing so much generic everything here. The commute on 95 is ridiculous.

That being said...
I am so disapointed in what has happened down here since I've left back in the 90s. I missed the big bubble development boom, but thought I would return to find the city risen from the blight that was Downtown Miami. The development that has taken place has not enriched the surrounding neighborhoods at all. I have never seen such a horrific display of bad planning in my life. The city planners should all be fired! It's a shame that developers were allowed to just ravage the city. There doesnt seem to have been any compensations given to the communities by allowing developers to do whatever they wanted.
Downtown Miami was allowed to line its waterfront with too high 60 story towers (that are now mostly empty) while not making sure the surrounding area is able to benefit. The entire area has been scarred by horrible sprawling, failing developments. Mile after mile of the most generic, cheap looking housing developments and strip malls.

The architecture here has always been best described as charm free, for the most part. South Beach and Coconut Grove, were the exceptions because they were communities that you could walk to the store or to work. I would have thought that with this giant building boom that occured there would have been community groups forcing developers to make sure that the entire community develops and benefits.

It is the "community" that is lacking down here. The politicians did nothing to make sure that right was done. Greed ran amok.
I will still move to Miami. It is the international community that draws me here. It is Miami's charm. I have lived in many cities and a couple of countries. Yes, the drivers here are rude and probably mostly insane. The people are world reowned as being the rudest, as anyone that has been shoved through the airport can agree. The city is obsessed with bling. It has absolutely the worst radio stations in the entire world.
BUT!
It has a charm like no other place Ive been. It is unique. It is Miami.
I attribute most of the rudeness to a severe case of growing pains, as millions of people from virtually everywhere are being shoved tighter and tighter together. There are consequences for that. It is a city in transition. I find that exciting.

It needs to, and it will, because it must, develop stronger communities. Its like a bunch of strangers living together here. Start voting for leaders that have the best interest of their communities and not just corrupt panderers that cater to the fears of one group or the other.

Last edited by UrbaniDesDev; 06-21-2010 at 02:36 AM..

Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,921 times
Anohter place that I'd love to vacation but I don't think I'd live there.

FAR too hot(I mean you're talking to a black guy who lives in Southwest Louisiana, and I hate the hot weather in the summer so do you think I want it year around??)

Too expensive

Love diversity as much as the next person, but damnit I'd feel like I was the foreigner and I'M the one from America.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 AM

326 posts, read 1,169,904 times
I don't get it most cities are applauded for diversity. When you can walk down streets hearing different languages people going about their buisness. Although it might be mostly one language Spanish doesn't mean their one nationality or race. Their from all over Latin America, Carribbean and I know alot of Europeans that speak spanish. Most people go to big cities go to Chinatowns and other ethnic parts. Then in Miami when they hear another language they think their talking bad about them or something else? I guess it's a human trait to fear what you can't understand instead of learning or taking interest about it.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:25 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjam View Post

I did not know hispanic was a race. If I ever get to meet Cameron Diaz or Charlie Sheen (Carlos Estevez) or Andy Garcia, I am gonna call them brownies.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:02 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Anohter place that I'd love to vacation but I don't think I'd live there.

FAR too hot(I mean you're talking to a black guy who lives in Southwest Louisiana, and I hate the hot weather in the summer so do you think I want it year around??)

Too expensive

Love diversity as much as the next person, but damnit I'd feel like I was the foreigner and I'M the one from America.
America is a continent and the U.S. is only 1 of the American countries.

No city is more American than Miami.

The two main languages of the continent are widely spoken. The most powerful American banks are located here, the busiest port and gateway of commercial goods to everywhere. A melting pot of Americans, culture, and languages. And geographycally speaking, the city is located close to the center of the continent.

***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 06-22-2010 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami