U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
112 posts, read 202,167 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

Serious question...

When bad areas are mentioned...Carol City, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Opa Locka, Overtown, etc...how bad are they?

Or put another way...here is a video of Detroit neighborhoods...are they like this...better...worse?

(Note: The first few seconds of the video are very loud, but it quiets down quickly)


YouTube - A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto: Part 3 (Dec. 2007)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2008, 10:56 AM
 
Location: USA
221 posts, read 635,657 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
Serious question...

When bad areas are mentioned...Carol City, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Opa Locka, Overtown, etc...how bad are they?

Or put another way...here is a video of Detroit neighborhoods...are they like this...better...worse?

(Note: The first few seconds of the video are very loud, but it quiets down quickly)


YouTube - A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto: Part 3 (Dec. 2007)
Not sure what the point of your post is? Are you just trying to figure out what area is worse or are you planning on relocating to the area and want to gauge the areas?

A video doesnt help anyone other than seeing how slummy areas are... Miami has it's bad areas just like LA, NY, Detroit, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
112 posts, read 202,167 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderman33 View Post
Not sure what the point of your post is? Are you just trying to figure out what area is worse or are you planning on relocating to the area and want to gauge the areas?

A video doesnt help anyone other than seeing how slummy areas are... Miami has it's bad areas just like LA, NY, Detroit, etc...
We may purchase something in a warmer climate. Florida is a possibility. Having lived in Michigan for decades, I know how bad this state allows its cities to get...the video is an excellent illustration of it. I am curious whether Florida allows its cities to get that bad...or not that bad...or worse.

It is not necessarily a question of exactly where to live...it is more a question that tells a lot about state and local government. While I do not live in the areas in the video, the fact that areas of Michigan are like that says a lot about how the state and cities are governed. I'd have serious questions about any state, county or city that allowed things to deteriorate that severely.

Your comments indicate that areas of Miami do indeed look like this. That surprises me...but it is what I want to know. I didn't think it was that bad down there.

Last edited by topshop; 11-29-2008 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: added comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 AM
 
Location: USA
221 posts, read 635,657 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
We may purchase something in a warmer climate. Florida is a possibility. Having lived in Michigan for decades, I know how bad this state allows its cities to get...the video is an excellent illustration of it. I am curious whether Florida allows its cities to get that bad...or not that bad...or worse.

It is not necessarily a question of exactly where to live...it is more a question that tells a lot about state and local government. While I do not live in the areas in the video, the fact that areas of Michigan are like that says a lot about how the state and cities are governed. I'd have serious questions about any state, county or city that allowed things to deteriorate that severely.
I can't speak for other states in the US but stay away from FL if that's the way you think. You will become VERY frustrated very quickly...

I saw some videos on youtube that are similar to your video of Detroit so you can judge on your own... They are rough areas, no doubt... Better or worse than Detroit? I am not sure...


YouTube - The Triangle - Opa Locka Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
 
1,769 posts, read 5,695,403 times
Reputation: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
We may purchase something in a warmer climate. Florida is a possibility. Having lived in Michigan for decades, I know how bad this state allows its cities to get...the video is an excellent illustration of it. I am curious whether Florida allows its cities to get that bad...or not that bad...or worse.

It is not necessarily a question of exactly where to live...it is more a question that tells a lot about state and local government. While I do not live in the areas in the video, the fact that areas of Michigan are like that says a lot about how the state and cities are governed. I'd have serious questions about any state, county or city that allowed things to deteriorate that severely.

Your comments indicate that areas of Miami do indeed look like this. That surprises me...but it is what I want to know. I didn't think it was that bad down there.
Here are some rough areas of Miami:






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
14,517 posts, read 13,047,785 times
Reputation: 13341
Hey, coming from Michigan I think I can help you a bit. Detroit and Miami are very different cities. Both have relatively high crime, but the difference between Miami and Detroit is that in Detroit you have a couple small areas that you can go, and Miami you have areas where you can't go. I don't get the uneasiness feeling in Miami that I do when I'm in Detroit.

That being said, when you are in Miami, and you go to the bad areas... it is the real deal and extremely dangerous, no safer than Detroit.

The overall safety of Miami is MUCH greater than when you are in Detroit, almost to the point of being uncomparable. If you stay out of the bad areas in Miami, you'll feel extremely comfortable.. in Detroit, there is not a very big area of where you don't feel uneasy. (i'm not counting the burbs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
112 posts, read 202,167 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Hey, coming from Michigan I think I can help you a bit. Detroit and Miami are very different cities. Both have relatively high crime, but the difference between Miami and Detroit is that in Detroit you have a couple small areas that you can go, and Miami you have areas where you can't go. I don't get the uneasiness feeling in Miami that I do when I'm in Detroit.

That being said, when you are in Miami, and you go to the bad areas... it is the real deal and extremely dangerous, no safer than Detroit.

The overall safety of Miami is MUCH greater than when you are in Detroit, almost to the point of being uncomparable. If you stay out of the bad areas in Miami, you'll feel extremely comfortable.. in Detroit, there is not a very big area of where you don't feel uneasy. (i'm not counting the burbs).
This is more along the lines of what I was assuming. 3 of my kids did tours in Iraq and sent back pictures. None approached the level of total destruction that exists in Detroit. My guess was that Miami had bad areas, but nothing like Detroit. I've driven through it and it is unbelievable to witness first hand. I don't know if you viewed that video, but I find it staggering...and I doubt that very many other areas in the US are like it. I was hoping that no cities in Florida had deteriorated to that degree over such a large area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 03:07 PM
 
Location: hialeah, florida
385 posts, read 1,360,824 times
Reputation: 101
opa-locka has a higher crime rate than detroit and most u.s. cities


something you may want to consider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
 
5,237 posts, read 5,429,862 times
Reputation: 4988
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
Serious question...

When bad areas are mentioned...Carol City, Liberty City, Little Haiti, Opa Locka, Overtown, etc...how bad are they?

Or put another way...here is a video of Detroit neighborhoods...are they like this...better...worse?

(Note: The first few seconds of the video are very loud, but it quiets down quickly)


YouTube - A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto: Part 3 (Dec. 2007)
It's not that bad. I've been going to Miami back and forth for all my life perhaps. Some of my family lives in good areas and some of my family lives in questionable areas. It's not that bad. And this is from someone who walked the streets of Brooklyn at night and stayed in Brooklyn, lived in Chicago's middle-class areas which most might assume are 'ghettos'. I haven't been to every single neighborhood in Miami but the majority I have been to have been safe enough that you could walk around by yourself. Of course no matter where I go I am always weary of my surroundings. So I look around. But they are OK. Some might not be the most visually attractive of the bunch however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2008, 03:38 PM
 
5,237 posts, read 5,429,862 times
Reputation: 4988
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Here are some rough areas of Miami:





Whoa. That's scary. I haven't been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top