Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
It is the Miami Forum that is rude, this makes you think the rest of Miami is rude and what they say about Miami and that is not to say all people are rude on this forum. One has to experience the city for themselves and not listen to others opinions

IMO people here are rude compared to my old state of PA . Certainly a horror on the road.

No reflection on any one group but Miami as a whole all groups included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
Many times the "few" either local citizens, individuals or members can predisposition their opinion and can get other to believe what ever is typed on C-D

IMHO I have visited many cities in Florida to include the south portion of state and the majority of the residents are friendly and will welcome and help others. This goes for all..

Yes, you will always find someone that will hate everything and predisposition his or her views as the correct ones. The best way to know the true is to visit and or live in the community. We all have different levels tolerance and what is perfectly fine for me might not be for someone else.

Thanks,

Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 PM

106 posts, read 433,601 times
I hate to say this, but the answer to being treated rudely might depend on your color and language spoken. Reverse racism absolutely exists in Mehammy.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
There is no such thing as "reverse racism", as racism is any ethnic group showing discrimination towards any other ethnic group...

Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
I hate to say this, but the answer to being treated rudely might depend on your color and language spoken. Reverse racism absolutely exists in Mehammy.
I look 100% gringo.. because I am. I'm treated great everywhere, the answer to being treated rudely might depend on your personality.

Last edited by intelfan11315; 12-06-2008 at 12:41 AM..

Old 12-06-2008, 02:06 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,531,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I look 100% gringo.. because I am. I'm treated great everywhere, the answer to being treated rudely might depend on your personality.
quoted for truth.

I smile lots. I love people, all people.

I never get treated rudely no matter where I go or who I'm with.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Old 12-09-2008, 09:23 PM

YOU ALL SHOULD CLOSE THIS THREAD AND START CATCHING UP BY READING A PREVIOUSLY POSTED THREAD (I did not open the thread, but was surprised to find it originally)

Finally...I will be moving back to America!!

Under this blog I later did post the following:

"Some idiot wrote something about resentment toward wealthy hispanics. Ridiculous. I guess this means in Boston they don't like wealthy Irish or in Seattle they resent wealthy Asians? I have money, money does not make the man (or woman). It really comes down to respecting your fellow man/woman at any social or financial standing; to be treated as you would want to be treated by others and ultimately here is the problem in Miami from my perspective...and yes, you have to live there to understand.

I worked with great people of Peruvian, Colombian, Equadorian, Venezuelan, Cuban, etc. backgrounds (I am anglo). After 2.5 years of contemplating why everything seems backwards in Miami I asked my associates why my girlfriend and I felt mistreated in Miami. The most concise explaination was that, typically, Americans are taught RESPECT is EARNED; lead by example, walk the walk, treat your elders and others with honor and dignity as you would expect in return. However, the MACHISMO attitude (as explained by my cohorts) is one where you start on top and demand respect. When a cashier or business person feels as though they are not given that respect (maybe lost through translation) instead of walking away, they explode and become very confrontational as if their honor is in jeopardy. As if they have to be broken down a little or the arrogance / attitude is to be chisled back before they will lower themselves to your standing.

From the 14 year old whistling at my girlfriend (who I confronted), the old ladies in the grocery stores purposefully ramming carts into mine (who I confronted), to the business owners who told me this was their town, to the guy who slapped his hands on the back of my car as we were driving 45 mph (who I confronted) down the road, to the constant cutting in line, I was challenged every day for 2.5 years.

And lets not forget that many other cultures around the world treat women in a lesser light; this was certainly true for my girlfriend who was constantly harassed, whistled at, yelled at, etc. in Miami.

You will find Miami a rude, classless, greedy, 2nd world mentality unlik any other American city......if you live there.

Lastly, Miami, Florida FYI:
• Hispanic (65.8%)
• Black (22.3%)
• White Non-Hispanic (11.8%)
• Other race (5.4%)
• Two or more races (4.7%)
• American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:23 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
If 99 latinos are nice to you, and one is rude, then they are all rude and snobbish. That is the thinking here unfortunately of a small few. Fortunately, though, most people here don't think like that.

On an overall percentage basis, I've had much better relations with the latinos here in Miami than with my fellow 'gringos'. My only gripe with Miami is the customer service - it's almost non existant in some places. Oh yeah, the drivers suck too.
Spot on imho.

To me there are 3 "levels" of stranger relations.
Friendliness -- when people actually care what's up with you.
Pleasantness -- please, thank you, etc. But overall pleasantness doesn't always mean they care.
Rudeness -- unpleasantness to the point where I have to notice.

If anything, I think Miami is a fairly "friendly" city. We made friends VERY quickly and acquaintances actually seem to care.
BUT I don't think Miami is all that pleasant, certainly not like our last home, San Diego -- which might be the most pleasant bigger city in the US. We're more like a large NE city.

Since being here I've had 2 "rude" encounters I can think of --- not too bad. Certainly nothing like some people would lead you to believe.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM

259 posts, read 840,682 times
It's not so much that they are flat out rude, but they are DEFINITELY unfriendly (and that goes for all races). Most people here are really on the hustle and doing their own thing. They could care less about you. I have been in cities where if your car breaks down in the middle of the night, people will stop and find out if you are doing okay. Down here you better clutch your purse and literally hope that NOBODY stops.
And don't get me started on the customer service and attitudes. Many times I walk away wanting to wring someones neck.
I have also been to cities where people will wave at you or actually speak to you when walking or jogging down the street. Now that is a great feeling but I understand that is NOT to be expected from most cities. It is just a bonus. Down here you can squash all that. They will not necessarily spit on your shoes but you will probably not get a warm and fuzzy feeling either.
Also of course, speaking or at least trying to learn spanish will always get you more friends. That's a given because it looks like you are at least trying to have fun and fit in. But the overall pleasantry of the city to an everyday person is just not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami