Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
An unrelated question...something I have always wondered about florida...how come they have NE or SW or something like that on the street names? Why isn't it just 88th street...instead of SW 88th st?
NE, SW, etc gives you an idea right of the bat what part of Metro Miami the address is in. The center of Miami address grid (1st and 1ave) is located in downtown Miami. So if the address says NE, it North and East of downtown, SW, means its South and West of downtown Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 01:21 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,608,886 times
I think Miami's grid system is one of the city's big plusses. Much better than any other city in the country/all streets are numbered in ascending order, as opposed to being named.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:23 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
I think Miami's grid system is one of the city's big plusses. Much better than any other city in the country/all streets are numbered in ascending order, as opposed to being named.
So is New York City though...well, uptown & midtown...downtown and the village just confuses the heck out of me. We don't use SW & NE, though...just the actual number.

Thanks for clearing this up.

carry on!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM

22 posts, read 76,083 times
Is so interesting to see how local people love to trash Miami and when you travel abroad (Europe, Asia or Latin American) to see how nice they talk about Miami or to hear them say I wish I could be there.

... I felt the pride to be American and being a Miami-Dade resident.

I guess Miami is one of those thing that you either love it or hate it.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:53 PM

Miami is a gem to Latin American politicians because they know they can expel their undesirables upon our shores.

Poor Latin Americans love Miami because they can make a living, socialize, and live life without knowing any English.

Europeans like Miami because it is like traveling to Latin America or the Caribbean without having to buy traveler's insurance. They also mostly center their trips around Miami Beach, which doesn't even come close to the "real Miami" - North Miami, West Miami, Sweetwater, Kendall, Goulds, Hialeah, etc.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:04 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,432,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa_Alexa View Post
Is so interesting to see how local people love to trash Miami and when you travel abroad (Europe, Asia or Latin American) to see how nice they talk about Miami or to hear them say I wish I could be there.

... I felt the pride to be American and being a Miami-Dade resident.

I guess Miami is one of those thing that you either love it or hate it.
-------

Alexa

The retreating army, stragglers that have been leaving the city during the last 50 years. They must use a very slow transportation. Their shots are harmless. In 10 years the'll be bashing North Carolina. It's in their nature, the eternal Frontier Man.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leovigildo View Post
-------

Alexa

The retreating army, stragglers that have been leaving the city during the last 50 years. They must use a very slow transportation. Their shots are harmless. In 10 years the'll be bashing North Carolina. It's in their nature, the eternal Frontier Man.
You sound high as a kite!

Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

3,770 posts, read 10,571,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
NE, SW, etc gives you an idea right of the bat what part of Metro Miami the address is in. The center of Miami address grid (1st and 1ave) is located in downtown Miami. So if the address says NE, it North and East of downtown, SW, means its South and West of downtown Miami.
Actually Miami Avenue divides the cities west and east quadrants while Flagler street divides the north and south quadrant, So if it says N.E., it means it is east of Miami Avenue and north of Flagler Street.If it is S.W., it means it is west of Miami Avenue and south of Flagler Street.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Actually Miami Avenue divides the cities west and east quadrants while Flagler street divides the north and south quadrant, So if it says N.E., it means it is east of Miami Avenue and north of Flagler Street.If it is S.W., it means it is west of Miami Avenue and south of Flagler Street.
Miami is the easiest metro I have ever commuted - except for the predictably frequent traffic accidents 24/7. I absolutely love the numbering system here. However, if Hispanics had taken over Miami at an earlier time, like the 1920's, then most of Miami would have a grid like old Coral Gables.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM

809 posts, read 2,315,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Miami is the easiest metro I have ever commuted - except for the predictably frequent traffic accidents 24/7. I absolutely love the numbering system here. However, if Hispanics had taken over Miami at an earlier time, like the 1920's, then most of Miami would have a grid like old Coral Gables.
Can you explain this please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami