Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 07:05 AM

149 posts, read 562,443 times

Advertisements

What's up with the fascination of poor folks on this board anyway? lol

To answer the question, I still think you can drive through any metropolitan area in the United States and find pictures like this. Even other parts of Florida like Belle Glade, Immokalee, and parts of Orlando.

So I rank every poor area in the US the same. A starving child is a starving child whether he lives in Liberty City or Seattle, Washington. A robbery is a robbery whether its in DC or Baltimore. You can't really make an argument that one city is worse than the next. I mean what can you say "this neighborhood has broken gates while this neighborhood has cruddy looking cars so I rank this neighborhood higher".

To be honest, some of those pictures weren't actually that bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,247,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCkid View Post
What's up with the fascination of poor folks on this board anyway? lol
It's better than those numbskull's that watch reality television about wealthy rich people.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 PM

45 posts, read 241,286 times
Those pictures are awesome to whoever posted them!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 PM

89 posts, read 1,048,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by island atoll View Post
Those pictures are awesome to whoever posted them!
Thanks a lot!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 PM

thanks for commenting everyone

Old 12-06-2008, 12:28 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,464 times
Many of those pics didnt look bad at all some imagine abandonded houses but you have low income in every city so that is not just Miami

Old 12-06-2008, 02:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,530,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrox08 View Post
thanks for commenting everyone
threads like these make baby jebus sad. you don't want baby jebus crying on your account so close to christmas do you?

if you would please could you take you camera and good photographic skill to a lower class neighborhood and shoot some photos?

I'll suggest the neighborhood of buena vista. this was once an awfully nice neighborhood then it went into decline. for a long time it was just awful but thankfully it's on the mend. if go to a house on 169 NE 48 st. you will also see some of my work at that house. there are also some really nice rehabs happening. I wish I had your skill so I could do it myself then I could counter balance the bad and ugly that you posted with some of the good and beautiful I routinely find.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Miami in general looks and feels far more like various areas of the Caribbean than like the rest of the US . . . Which is one of the things I really, really like about it. I like a lot of places in the Caribbean and wouldn't mind living in most of those places. (I worked on cruise ships as a musician and traveled all over the Caribbean.) It's not just ghetto areas, but even downtown and the upscale areas that resemble various places in the Caribbean.
Oh yeah, no doubt, I think that is also what makes Miami great and unique. The neighborhoods I was referring to though were up along on 79th street, specifically Gladeview, West Little River and El Portal, between Hialeah and the intercoastal. Some of those areas would be virtually uninhabitable for the average American not used to the Carribean lifestyle (like the hand built one room wooden shacks that definately did not have plumbing or electricity) . It was more than just a neighborhood with Carribean flair, like Little Haiti for instance- it actually, for all intensive purposes, was the Carribean. Like as if someone went to some small, random town in Jamaica and scooped it up and plopped it down in Dade. I'm not criticizing it though, it definately does make Miami unique and give the city a ton of character.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Here's a bulk of other photos, hope it's good enough

Old 12-06-2008, 03:59 PM

668 posts, read 2,357,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrox08 View Post
Here's a bulk of other photos, hope it's good enough

yeah some of those pictures were similiar to some of the Carribean neighborhoods I was talking about. Pretty decripid looking. Do u know what neighborhoods these photos were taken in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami