Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,856,675 times

Advertisements

i was looking at brownsville on maps.google.com and damn it was ghetto. shoulda screen shooted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM

183 posts, read 566,343 times
What percentage of the low income people living in these neighborhoods (as per the pics) actually sell drugs, rob people and blast music in their homes?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:45 AM

8 posts, read 41,893 times
I'm writing from New Orleans, and I can tell you that the pictures you've posted here of undesirable Miami neighborhoods look like the Taj Mahal compared to Central City, Treme, and the 9th Ward in New Orleans. The streets in your shots look spotless compared to the ones in the neighborhoods I mention. There's usually a lot more raw garbage, abandoned cars, and sometimes even a shot up body lying in the gutter here.
So you've got some scary looking public housing projects and cheap hotel/apartment roach traps.
The places still look far more inviting than some places that people live in here.
Heck, some people here are still living in gutted houses with no electricity, more than three years after Katrina. Some parts of New Orleans must look like Homestead after Hurricane Andrew.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:42 AM

640 posts, read 1,817,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjam View Post
What percentage of the low income people living in these neighborhoods (as per the pics) actually sell drugs, rob people and blast music in their homes?
Good question. Another question is, what percentage of people living in these neighborhoods have juvi or adult conviction records?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:18 PM

261 posts, read 701,650 times
I have to agree with Salo13...Many parts of New Orleans are ratholes, no offense to people there

Old 01-14-2009, 10:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,856,675 times
i think Miami doesn't have many run down abandoned buildings due to the fact that the blacks stayed in the black areas, no real major white flight occurred in Miami to cause blocks of abandoned houses.

the only part of miami that was ever really run down was miami beach and some parts of downtown, but that has been all gentrified by tv shows( miami vice) and developers.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:28 PM

71 posts, read 296,335 times
Default There are so Many Issues to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
i think Miami doesn't have many run down abandoned buildings due to the fact that the blacks stayed in the black areas, no real major white flight occurred in Miami to cause blocks of abandoned houses.

the only part of miami that was ever really run down was miami beach and some parts of downtown, but that has been all gentrified by tv shows( miami vice) and developers.
Well, Miami's white-flight happened decades ago, so obviously the buildings would no longer be abandoned at this present time. What we are experiencing in these neighborhoods is a sense of hopelessness. Most of these citizens are law-abiding citizens, but think about it: after most of them pay the mortgage, there's barely enough money left to gas-up the car or even to put food on the table; also, after working back-to-back shifts, where is the financial resources or the time going to come from to maintain a home with a yard no less? Now, I'm not finding excuses for these people, but it can't be easy to fix up your house, making it look good only to have it broken into the next day. As a result, many of these residents probably don't see the use in caring for their homes the way most other Floridians do because if it looks too well-taken care of, the assumption might be that the tenants have money and would, therefore, be sitting ducks for break-ins.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM

Default Your Point Being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Good question. Another question is, what percentage of people living in these neighborhoods have juvi or adult conviction records?
Okay, so what exactly is the point of posing a question like that? I'm not following.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
Take pictures of 62nd.. Lol.. I'm from Fort Lauderdale,and I lock my doors when driving down 62nd.
You do have a mental complex, indeed.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:38 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,598,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen477 View Post
Well, Miami's white-flight happened decades ago, so obviously the buildings would no longer be abandoned at this present time. What we are experiencing in these neighborhoods is a sense of hopelessness. Most of these citizens are law-abiding citizens, but think about it: after most of them pay the mortgage, there's barely enough money left to gas-up the car or even to put food on the table; also, after working back-to-back shifts, where is the financial resources or the time going to come from to maintain a home with a yard no less? Now, I'm not finding excuses for these people, but it can't be easy to fix up your house, making it look good only to have it broken into the next day. As a result, many of these residents probably don't see the use in caring for their homes the way most other Floridians do because if it looks too well-taken care of, the assumption might be that the tenants have money and would, therefore, be sitting ducks for break-ins.

That's absolute B.S. There were blue collar/working class whites living in those homes before white flight. These lower-middle and middle class neighborhoods were beautiful when whites liven in them, now they look atrocious. Unkept lawns, streets strewn with garbage and abandoned shopping carts lining the sidewalks. Remember, I am talking about the working class areas (think Carol City, North Miami, North Miami Beach, Brownsville, El Portal, Westchester, West Miami, HIALEAH, Shenandoah area). I am talking about the working class areas of these towns, I know there are 'enclaves' or sections that are nicer.

Basically, you are talking about two generations, two groups, two races of people living on the SAME budget in the SAME houses. Yet the newest inhabitants make the same areas look ghetto. It's a shame. It's also not a question of age or deterioration of these areas, look how beautiful Coral Gables is, and it's the oldest area!

Last edited by cuba libre; 01-15-2009 at 06:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami