U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-07-2008, 08:13 AM

148 posts, read 354,075 times
Default McClatchey Puts Miami Herald up for Sale

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/06/bu...6paper.html?em

Interesting article. It mentions how South Florida's real estate recession cost the Herald significant real estate advertising revenues.

Do you think the Miami Herald has a future? Do you still subscribe to or even read the Herald? What are your thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:36 PM

640 posts, read 1,144,483 times
Real estate ads (like all classified ads) are moving to the Internet. Newspapers' tradition revenue model was already on a downward trajectory. The recession just accelerated the process.

I do hope that the Herald finds a way to survive, though. There aren't many checks on political corruption without a major newspaper that has the resources to do non-trivial investigative reporting. The Internet bloggers don't (they can't), and we are in trouble if it's left to the TV news operations. The New Times also seems to be running out of steam.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:38 PM

668 posts, read 1,396,788 times
The Tribune in Chicago has also gone into bankcruptcy. The Herald is not alone in this, it will pull through somehow, just as the Tribune will.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 AM

2,176 posts, read 4,246,099 times
I definitely agree that things have got hard for the newspaper industry...Internet is simply cheaper and much more profitable.

However, I think you're going to see several media company file for BK...Once the govt committed $700B, the auto industries board of directors came out of the wood works and said "take care of us or we'll layoff 3M workers" I feel now the media companies will try the same thing and will bet other large companies will also try the same thing.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 PM

710 posts, read 1,393,807 times
The Herald and Sun Sentinel could merge tomorrow and be profitable. Where would Dave Berry go?

I only get the Sunday Herald -- I read it online almost everyday though. 10 years ago I would have had it delivered 7x /week.
Times change, they need to adapt.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM

148 posts, read 354,075 times
What I want to know is what's going to happen to that amazing waterfront property. I heard some of it was going to be used for additional parking space.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:33 PM

8,265 posts, read 15,509,172 times
Expect it to be redeveloped for more useless condo or office space. I saw this coming 20 years ago. Newspapers are going extinct as soon as the older generation fades away. They should have jumped on the internet back in the 90's. Good riddance to another useless company. Their current website does not archive stories for long, so what good are they as a reference. Miami will only have those little ad papers and local news left. ANyone remember the Miami News? Yes that's the Herald's future.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 PM

The New York Times has been on-line for a while, and seems to be doing it right, but they just had to put their building up as collateral for a $250M loan. I hope someone can figure out how to make on-line newspapers profitable. It looks like classifieds are history -- there's no profit there, unless Craigslist, etc. suddenly vanish.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:56 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,418,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Expect it to be redeveloped for more useless condo or office space. I saw this coming 20 years ago. Newspapers are going extinct as soon as the older generation fades away. They should have jumped on the internet back in the 90's. Good riddance to another useless company. Their current website does not archive stories for long, so what good are they as a reference. Miami will only have those little ad papers and local news left. ANyone remember the Miami News? Yes that's the Herald's future.
with the printed media being so overwhelmingly slanted to the extreme left and the fact that we americans are by far centrists there is little wonder that print media is going the way of the dodo.

I haven't purchased a copy of the miami herald in over twenty years as I get my news from other sources.

I do remember the miami news, I had a miami news paper route when I was a young boy.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:02 AM

My grandparents used to get the Miami News delivered. If your route was in Olympia Heights, near the post office (on 99th Ave.?), you may have delivered theirs.

The Miami Herald is far left? D: I did not realize that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami