U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,418,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Is there anywhere you can park on the sidewalk? Is that somehow desireable?
This is a short story, My friend house has a very short driveway, so I parked the car so we can take the luggage off the vehicle. By the time (7 minutes) we got back I had an infraction from the HOA Security dude.

The dude has a Golf car and is following cars all over the place, my friend has complained because if they leave the garage open a ticket is issued.

You are absolutely correct, no parking on the sidewalk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This is a short story, My friend house has a very short driveway, so I parked the car so we can take the luggage off the vehicle. By the time (7 minutes) we got back I had an infraction from the HOA Security dude.

The dude has a Golf car and is following cars all over the place, my friend has complained because if they leave the garage open a ticket is issued.

You are absolutely correct, no parking on the sidewalk...

Your friend lives in a prison camp because here all you have to do is tell security shack in front or call them that your going to have someone park 10 minutes on sidewalk while unloading luggage.

Now your friend may haver not done that and thats another story.

You have to have rules like that in these communties are street are not as wide as reg streets and we don't want it turning into a typical S.Florida st where people do what they want ,park in others driveways,etc.

My theory is these gated communties are springing up all over Florida because as a whole its a badly run place where laws arent enforced and no one wants to come home from work have a strange car parked in your driveway or blocking it and you go to jail for taking a bat to the car.

I for one wouldnt live in gated in PA though none in my town but if had the choice still would not but we dont have keystone cops there.

Last edited by Luiso; 12-16-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Well, the stereotype is that mostly Caucasian people live in gated communities. However, that is not true, as cities like Greenacres, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Doral, and Kendall have gated communities that are majority non-white. Regardless, I still don't like generic, cookie-cutter communities.

Lets say for sake of argument that all these gated communities were White. Why would that make them racist?

You have MANY non gated neighborhoods which are White . Are they racist?

No one is prevented from moving into any gated community in USA . Follow the rules and welcome.

Last edited by Luiso; 12-16-2008 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Is it possible to have a discussion without disparaging other people? I prefer a gated community. Others prefer an open community. It's not necessary to accuse someone of wanting a gated community because they are racist (which is essentially what some here -not necessarily you have said).

Your right . Keep in mind seem here are the pc bunch and they say racism under a rock .

They need to look in a puddles reflection .

Old 12-16-2008, 06:11 AM

2,143 posts, read 5,285,201 times
People used to abide by rules without living in gated communities. You know why New England towns are so picturesque? It's because all the new people tried to fit in and make their places look like the others. It's because neighbors were concerned about how their homes would look compared to others. It's because the citizens where concerned about how their actions would impact their neighbors.

We don't have that in a lot of places. Now people think that just because they own a place, they can do what they want and if the neighbors don't like it , too bad.

Well, I don't want to live next door to a person like that. Ergo, HOA's.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Can't have an open garage
Can't park in the sidewalk
Noise pollution
Lawn inspectors and violation fees (weeds)
Pet problems
BBQ concerns

to mention a few add + or -

Yes there are horror stories. I dont have any vested interest in gated community life lol so see both sides of it.

I like it but there are problems. We have no lawn inspectors as the community garden takes care of front lawn and in our backyard we can let weeds grow 5 feet iof we want.
Thats also a con as some houses "come" with tree in front yard and you cant cut it unless board okays it.
Thus you can say its your house but is it?

Noise pollution I dont see as a problem I see that as a HUGE pro because I want it quite not interested in anyone sharing their music with me. They can use ear phones.

The houses are well built so you can play music but if music can be heard outside its to loud to me thats a big pro . Security will call you once if happens again your fined .
Easy enough to keep your music to yourself.that to me is #1 law I love here.
As other areas in S.Florida the houses are shaking due to music .

The cons are
Many communities do not allow any BBQ that isnt stored in garage or atleast not permanent structure type BBQ .
Here you can have what you want in backyard but no BBQ after 10pm .

Pets-no more than 2 dogs but they can be any breed not banned in Dade but yes it varies from place to place and some places are insane.-No more than 2 cats and its an insane risk to let them out as community traps cats and removes them.
I am not sure thats a bad idea either.

One lady even has a monkey with permit but banned on the street not banned in her house and yard . The board wants it out but unless it escapes into street they cant fine her.

If you recall an old post a woman posted about a neighbor parking his truck on her lawn and Miami police as USUAL could do nothing though her property .
That does not happen here because truck is towed in minutes .

The cons and pros can go on forever and if lived in a place that was run well like most other places I wouldnt want gated but in S.Florida IMO way to go ESP if you have short trigger .

Old 12-16-2008, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
People used to abide by rules without living in gated communities. You know why New England towns are so picturesque? It's because all the new people tried to fit in and make their places look like the others. It's because neighbors were concerned about how their homes would look compared to others. It's because the citizens where concerned about how their actions would impact their neighbors.

We don't have that in a lot of places. Now people think that just because they own a place, they can do what they want and if the neighbors don't like it , too bad.

Well, I don't want to live next door to a person like that. Ergo, HOA's.

I agree but ESP in this place S.Florida which I find so badly run gated communities are going to be the "thing".
Lets be realistic plenty coming here who have no concept of taking care of anything ,couldnt care less about neighbors (though that can just as esily be many here be it new immigrants or decades living here).

I past town of SweetWater 3 days a week like 4am and same house blasting music that you can hear it half block up while sitting in your running car .

If I was his neighbor there would be problems because the police here are useless as are the politicians and thus rather avoid the whole thing.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I like a gated home not a gated community. The best way to avoid the ugliness is to have larger lots. The fact is that non-gated communities are more desireable, places like Southwest Ranches, Redland, Loxahatchee are so much more in demand that generic, gated communities. The real reason gated communities were developed was to skirt local zoning and required setbacks. By having private roads in lieu of public streets developers can place a "home" 10 feet from the street. This cramming maximizes profits. On the other hand one home per acre or more increases the quality of life but means that less human cargo can be crammed in. The more rats you cram in a cage the more rules needed to keep them in line. I like my method, put a gate in your own yard and fill the space by the street with trees, nobody can see your home. I have never had a burglar in my home but did scare one off last year. Also when living in Miami as a kid I knew plenty of kids who would vandalize gates. Residents would be frustrated as the guard or a technician tried to get the gate open when they had to get to work.

I agree in any gated community your going to get way less land than non gated.
Even the big houses here have tiny yards compared to my grandma who has a backyard 20 minutes from me that equals 6 backyards here and her house cost 1/3 of the biggest houses here.

Its impossible to vandalize gates here as guard shack is right by the gate in and out gate however some areasw I can see that.
If you live in gated community with golf course like next community over you might wait 15 minutes to get into your community on weekends due to amount of people coming to play golf.

Guy who lives down the block who is a retired Marine Corp officer moved out because he told me to many absurd rules so again not for everyone .

In my case I wound up here by accident but now glad I did as the day I get home and driveway is blocked is day I wind up in jail.
I didnt like it initially but lost my temper a few times here thus realized it was a God send to wind up here.

I have grown very tired of S.Florida bunch.

While in S.Florida gated community is for me the only way to go.

In PA no way .

Old 12-16-2008, 01:13 PM

1,769 posts, read 5,693,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
Lets say for sake of argument that all these gated communities were White. Why would that make them racist?

You have MANY non gated neighborhoods which are White . Are they racist?

No one is prevented from moving into any gated community in USA . Follow the rules and welcome.
I think you're quoting the wrong post there bub. I actually agreed with you about the diversity in many of these communities. It's the communities themselves (the way they're run) that blow. I didn't mention anything about racism.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM

5,701 posts, read 17,418,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
I think you're quoting the wrong post there bub. I actually agreed with you about the diversity in many of these communities. It's the communities themselves (the way they're run) that blow. I didn't mention anything about racism.
First, let's keep racism out of this post.

Second: We need to consider the individual desire to live in a gated community. If you can afford the house and live with the HOA great for the individual or family.

You will find folks from all backgrounds living in gated communities, again we all have choices and if the you are happy with the gated community rules great for you.

I live in a small residential area (Northwest Fl, 55 houses) and we the residents take care of any concerns. If you have a community that communicate you don't need an HOA...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami