Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 02:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
It's called a discussion. That is what this message board is for. We have different opinions. Welcome to City-Data!
Is it possible to have a discussion without disparaging other people? I prefer a gated community. Others prefer an open community. It's not necessary to accuse someone of wanting a gated community because they are racist (which is essentially what some here -not necessarily you have said).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Is it possible to have a discussion without disparaging other people? I prefer a gated community. Others prefer an open community. It's not necessary to accuse someone of wanting a gated community because they are racist (which is essentially what some here -not necessarily you have said).
Well, the stereotype is that mostly Caucasian people live in gated communities. However, that is not true, as cities like Greenacres, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Doral, and Kendall have gated communities that are majority non-white. Regardless, I still don't like generic, cookie-cutter communities.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Well, the stereotype is that mostly Caucasian people live in gated communities. However, that is not true, as cities like Greenacres, Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Doral, and Kendall have gated communities that are majority non-white. Regardless, I still don't like generic, cookie-cutter communities.
It's ok to not like something. I just get irritated when people mind read about why people prefer something. Why would someone assume that gated communities are meant to keep out blacks?

Old 12-15-2008, 03:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
IMHO this is the family choice if they can afford additional fees on a gated community. I know of horror story's in gated communities based on "rigid rules" HOA.

Just a small note from your MOD: Everyone is allowed to their opinion and should be respected. Discussed the issue, we may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Again this is a superb topic to discuss, keep it clean and stay on topic..

Thanks,

Old 12-15-2008, 04:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,695,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
IMHO this is the family choice if they can afford additional fees on a gated community. I know of horror story's in gated communities based on "rigid rules" HOA.

Just a small note from your MOD: Everyone is allowed to their opinion and should be respected. Discussed the issue, we may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea.

Again this is a superb topic to discuss, keep it clean and stay on topic..

Thanks,
Please tell us the horror stories..you can't say that and then leave!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Please tell us the horror stories..you can't say that and then leave!
Can't have an open garage
Can't park in the sidewalk
Noise pollution
Lawn inspectors and violation fees (weeds)
Pet problems
BBQ concerns

to mention a few add + or -

Old 12-15-2008, 05:27 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
I just don't understand why people like gated communities, codes, and rules so much... I think having everyone doing their own thing is far more appealing that one group deciding what everyone should do.
I wish I lived in community that enforced the HOA rules in one way, but I can understand the appeal of no rules too. When I moved into my neighborhood, the house across the street from me was one of the nicest homes on the block. 2 years after we moved in, the owner of the house across the street had to sell the home. This redneck family bought it (still can't understand how they could of afforded this neighborhood at the time they bought, I know hes working two jobs now to pay bills), and now that house is one of the worst homes on the block. As they just haven't kept it up. The windows (the tint on the windows is peeling), the mondo (sp???) grass in the front is almost gone replaced with weeds. On the side of their home (which can be seen from the street) there are old rusty bikes, and other junk. I can go on and on. If I lived in a HOA that enforced the rules, that house wouldn't be in the shape it is today. And the rest of the neighbors wouldn't have to drive past it, but I don't live in one of those communities and so they are able to let the place go to sh*t. People who like to keep their homes nice and clean that live in gated hoa communities, like to live in a place that they know other people like to keep up their homes too.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I wish I lived in community that enforced the HOA rules in one way, but I can understand the appeal of no rules too. When I moved into my neighborhood, the house across the street from me was one of the nicest homes on the block. 2 years after we moved in, the owner of the house across the street had to sell the home. This redneck family bought it (still can't understand how they could of afforded this neighborhood at the time they bought, I know hes working two jobs now to pay bills), and now that house is one of the worst homes on the block. As they just haven't kept it up. The windows (the tint on the windows is peeling), the mondo (sp???) grass in the front is almost gone replaced with weeds. On the side of their home (which can be seen from the street) there are old rusty bikes, and other junk. I can go on and on. If I lived in a HOA that enforced the rules, that house wouldn't be in the shape it is today. And the rest of the neighbors wouldn't have to drive past it, but I don't live in one of those communities and so they are able to let the place go to sh*t. People who like to keep their homes nice and clean that live in gated hoa communities, like to live in a place that they know other people like to keep up their homes too.
You don't have to have an HOA at all. Use your local county housing covenants and contact the county housing inspector. I reside on Northwest Florida and if we see something that we don't like as a "community" we call the county housing inspector and he takes care of the problem. Knowing your county covenants is very important and you can help your local redneck
dude comply with the local standards...

Old 12-15-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Can't have an open garage
Can't park in the sidewalk
Noise pollution
Lawn inspectors and violation fees (weeds)
Pet problems
BBQ concerns

to mention a few add + or -
Is there anywhere you can park on the sidewalk? Is that somehow desireable?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
I used to live in FL in a non gated but deed restricted community. There was really only one way in or out so it was pretty safe. For the most part If I was alone or maybe older I would prefer a gated community with activities. I would like it because it would make me feel safer. I also like "really" neat and clean neighborhoods and unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't feel the same way in regular neighborhoods.

Now on the flip side I live on 40 acres in an off grid home in the TN mountains and right now I wouldn't trade my security, privacy, and safety for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami