U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-19-2008, 10:15 AM

672 posts, read 898,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
What is the best choice:

Allow Cuba to develop own resources under a democratic government?

Involvement from Cuban Americans to create the new Monaco in the Caribbean?

Allow USA to influence the future of the country as an annexation?

Allow Chavez to influence the future of the country as an annexation?

Leave as is and hope for the best?

Pick one and present your discussion....
"Bomb Havana with Big Macs."
True wisdom, said by a few and ignored by the rest for the past 60 years.
-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,298 posts, read 10,201,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson View Post
You are right, the term is not "buy" but "bribery" or "theft." Morevoer, I totally agree that the missing of a judicial system, more exactly, a property law system is a risk to any business in the future Cuba, especially if it is related to real state. But hey, that's the risk of the person who is buying properties right now(buy cheap). There is no necesity to prove you anything about "the availability of purchasing property there." I only told you what I saw and lived from my own experience so you or anyone does not have to buy my statements. However, do you want to bet that in the future you will sadly remember this litter chat?
Yeah I know you can't prove anything and surely I will remember this litter chat. That's where most of it will go anyway.

Unread 12-22-2008, 07:43 AM

1,335 posts, read 2,130,774 times
I hope that the rich Cubans in Miami don't go down there and act as if the last 50 years was "their struggle" and that they deserve their old properties and monopolized business interests because they had to "suffer" in Miami. Many of the sons and daughters of these rich Cubans bred themselves as attorneys in preparation for this epic fight. I am merely saying that I hope the transition does not reward their fattening in Miami as a reputable cause for some kind of reparation from the transition hand outs.

As vpcats pointed out, these vehement anti-Castro groups might have little say in what goes on after the revolution. However, there is no doubt they will be present. If the transition works out for the better, and property in Cuba is mitigated, they might want to move back. If this happens, what will become of Miami? Will the flight of rich Cubans back to Cuba make Miami better?

Last edited by cuba libre; 12-22-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Unread 12-22-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
... If this happens, what will become of Miami? Will the flight of rich Cubans back to Cuba make Miami better?
1st q. South Beach Ocean front Real Estate prices will plunge.
2nd q. No.

Unread 12-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
2nd q. No.
?

Unread 12-22-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
If the transition works out for the better, and property in Cuba is mitigated, they might want to move back. If this happens, what will become of Miami? Will the flight of rich Cubans back to Cuba make Miami better?
Quote:
2nd q. No.
Quote:
?
Your questions #1 and #2.
Thought that was clear.

Unread 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM

640 posts, read 1,107,214 times
I agree with everything you said, except....

Quote:
If the transition works out for the better, and property in Cuba is mitigated, they might want to move back.
...not likely. The vast majority of Cubans who grew up here are way to comfortable to restart their lives on a third world Caribbean island. It's a romantic pipe dream of many, but it won't happen.

As for the older generation (quite old now, actually), they had their chance to stay and fight rather than flee like rats off a sinking ship. Their time has passed. They've taken revenge on the people of Cuba with trade blockades against and isolation of the island. Castro and his gang are still fat and happy, while the rest of the people there have no love lost for the Miami "Cuban Mafia".

This time is past for Miami Cubans vis-a-vis Cuba. Way, way past. Some just refuse to face reality.

Unread 12-23-2008, 10:25 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,905,446 times
Every rich person who leaves Miami takes a little corruption with them. I would think that a mass exodus of the "rich" would bring increased living standards for everyone else. However, Cuba would simply exchange a dispicable dictator for a group of crooks and theives. Is there not a better way? While always corrupt I believe that Miami was a lot more desireable before the drug money and corrupt business permeated the entire area and drove up real estate values. Miami was closer to "paradise" before Castro.

Unread 12-24-2008, 08:53 AM

tallrick
No argument here.
It's just that there is no turning the clock back for Miami or the rest of the World.
The Worlds' population grew dramatically since 1959.
I believe that this is a fundamental issue with the Miami that is no longer.

Unread 12-30-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
tallrick
No argument here.
It's just that there is no turning the clock back for Miami or the rest of the World.
The Worlds' population grew dramatically since 1959.
I believe that this is a fundamental issue with the Miami that is no longer.

What fundamental issue do you think Miami doesn't suffer from any more? Are you one of those who thinks that Miami doesn't have any "issues"? I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I think that Miami has to avoid any more "waves" of immigrants, especially if the Castro brothers are dethroned. What may start as a trickle of immigrants easily becomes a stream and then a roaring river of impoverished people. And they are all going to one place...M.I.A., the 305, Hialeah, Little Haiti. I hope this post is acceptable now, I had to castrate it, giving it a "G" rating instead of a "PG" rating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami