Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:02 PM

391 posts, read 512,461 times

Advertisements

It is a very nice zoo. No, the animals aren't caged; and we'd love to see them free; but that doesn't exist anymore!!! Large safe areas for large numbers animals to roam free; it's gone. I think that Metro does a very good job of caretaking the animals. I've been a member for nearly 10 years; since my son was born. He has gained a true love of animals and the environment from our frequent visits there (he now wants to be a wildlife biologist). As far as finding land to live on for 100k? You never know. Lots of foreclosures might get a small house on just over an acre for that or slightly more. Not exactly rural, but not sardines in a row, like many suburbs. Good luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,086 times
Default Metro Zoo

Being born in Miami, I have had a chance to see the town grow into a city with urban sprawl and all. I remember the original zoo on Key Biscayne. Now it is a beautifu zoo in Southwest Miami-Dade. Yes when it was first opened it had few trees and as walking was the only way around it was hot. Now there are trees and there is a monorail system and tram tours. You can rent bikes or wheel chairs motorized or hand movement. The Zoo is expanding and will add sections in the next few years. I personlly love the aviary. My daughter has worked at the Zoo as a high school volenteer and as a permant employee. She is one of the tour guides. You are very aware of the property around the Zoo from you comments. If you look you can find what you are looking for in Southwest Miami-Dade County.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:34 PM

391 posts, read 512,461 times
Bravo, well said. I also believe that comments should be left to those who have recent knowledge of the zoo. After hurricane Adrew the zoo lost alot of the tree coverage and turned locals off. It was hot!! But, it's lovely now. Lots of misting stations and coverage. Locals - try it again.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:20 PM

1,031 posts, read 634,891 times
metrozoo has some unique challenges, I have been a zookeeper for over a decade and I can assure you that the animals at metrozoo are very happy and well cared for.

In fact the zoo I currently work for sent a primate to metrozoo and I went down to visit her a few months later. Up north she was kept in a small walk in closet 99% of her life because it was so cold and she was too small to be unsupervised with the other animals, it was a very sad life, she had lots of stress related health problems and never even had a chance to breed. When I walked around to her area in Miami she was frolicking in the sun and chasing the other animals off her favorite spot, it brought tears to my eyes to see her so happy and healthy. God bless the great people at metrozoo.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:49 PM

5,528 posts, read 7,472,312 times
don't know.
the last time i went to metro zoo was back when i was in 5th grade (I'm now 22).

Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 634,891 times
dude, GO...its wonderful, great excuse to get a date.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:37 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,398,444 times
I went a couple of weeks ago. I loved the giant otters. The new sections since I was there last are great. Except the Australian section, they need to update that section. If they do the new expansion they want to do, this will be even more amazing.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM

170 posts, read 449,128 times
The animals have to go in the cages at night. Then released into the enclosures during the daytime for people to see them. People think they are outside all the time. They are not. I asked a zookeeper at Metro Zoo once how they were able to get the animals in the cages every night after being outside all day. He said that "if they want to eat, they will go into the cages."

Old 12-22-2009, 06:38 PM

170 posts, read 449,128 times
I might at that when I was there the cages were very small. A big cat can't turn around in them. It's disgusting.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,680,867 times
I have not been to metrozoo since Jazzoo '82. For some reason I never have the time or desire to spend some money to go there. It did seem an improvement from the crandon park zoo, but I liked the little train they used to have there. Well at metrozoo it is next to the gold coast railroad museum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami